Coaching for high school track and cross country (Read 85 times)

Village people

I have a kid who is looking for some help with more directed workouts this summer. He has a few goals for next year. He’ll run about 300miles over the summer but he wants to add stuff like lifting or something to help with speed. I have found a few plans and programs online but I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. 

TIA

Does your kid have a coach that is knowledgeable and can give ideas? (I'm not sure if coaches are allowed to get involved with off-season workouts but I assume they could give general advice)

I would think summer is 90% about building base and getting comfortable with an increase in workload without getting injury. I assume most speed work is during the season. But I am no expert.

Village people

Thanks, Doug. He does talk to his coach but I thought I’d ask here for other ideas.

Luciplay

Does your kid have a coach that is knowledgeable and can give ideas? (I'm not sure if coaches are allowed to get involved with off-season workouts but I assume they could give general advice)

I would think summer is 90% about building base and getting comfortable with an increase in workload without getting injury. I assume most speed work is during the season. But I am no expert.

I agree with this, summer is usually when I increase my workload as there isn't much to doi.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I have a kid who is looking for some help with more directed workouts this summer. He has a few goals for next year. He’ll run about 300miles over the summer but he wants to add stuff like lifting or something to help with speed. I have found a few plans and programs online but I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. 

TIA

That mileage seems a little light for high school.  The figure I see most often for summer running is 500 miles.  Focus should be on building a larger base, not simply minimal running for maintenance.  Core and strength training are good supplements, but they should be in addition to, not in place of running.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I coached High School for many years til my job changed and I couldn't make it work. I would recommend a slow gradual increase on miles week over week. No more than 10% per week. Start at the final weekly milage goal at the end and work backwards. I would not add any speed work more than running one run medium effort 1x per week. I would take 2 weeks off after track if running this spring. I would also start 4 days a week and work up to 6 days (maybe 7) key thing is to not come into the season injured. Make sure easy miles are easy. Depending on what year they are 300 is a good goal. More if going into JR or SR year assuming they have been running the last few years.also facto in things like 4th of July or other holidays/trips into miles so you can have a little bit of a lower mile week but keep on goal.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Deaconblues

How about more mileage and less speedwork?

Village people

That mileage seems a little light for high school.  The figure I see most often for summer running is 500 miles.  Focus should be on building a larger base, not simply minimal running for maintenance.  Core and strength training are good supplements, but they should be in addition to, not in place of running.

Completely forgot about this post.  Thanks everyone. 

His high school coach is a big believer in low mileage and has had a lot of success.
                  His college coach has a plan ready for this summer and he will be increasing his mileage in the spring (during track) to get ready for summer training and then the cross country season. My son is a better track guy.

RyanDekard

useless spam