Just ran my first race (Read 283 times)

I'm feeling the need to gush about my first race with someone other than my husband, who is supportive but not at all interested Smile

I had no idea how much more fun races would be than running on my own! Even though you all talk about races so much, I hadn't quite gotten it until this morning. I ran the Midway Shelter 5k in Alameda, CA - an easy flat trail along the water in the San Francisco bay with maybe 200 people, all to raise money for a women's shelter. Thanks to running ahead forums I felt ready and strong. I have no idea what my time was since I don't have a watch and we don't get our times for a day or two I think, but during the second half of the race not a single person passed me while I passed a bunch of people that seemed to have burned their wads too early. My friend says this means I didn't run fast enough to start with but I was definitely pretty beat at the end and there's no way I normally run that fast.

My favorite moments:

-cheering on the little kids for their half mile before the 5k started

--that magical moment about a quarter of the way into the course when everyone had mostly settled into their positions in the pack and we all had room to run and breathe and look at the water. Is there a name runners have for that moment?

-seeing the first 5 or 10 elite runners come back on the course while I was still heading out (it was an out and back course) - they were so inspiring!

-getting my own turn to run in the opposite direction past the people who were still running out

-blowing my reserves for the final leg only to realize I was not yet near the finish line, but then some awesome voice in my head said "dig deep," and I think I managed to hold the pace (that part of the race felt twice as long as the rest of it)

-complete strangers screaming for us as we approached the end

-picking up my medal, which turned out to be a cute handmade xmas ornament made by some local kids

-the hubs showing up at the end of the race and taking me out to brunch. Hash browns and hot sauce never tasted so good.

Yay! Time to sign up for the next race, maybe a 10k next time. I've never been into sports and finished the couch to 5k program about a month ago, but I think running could be something I do for most of my life from here on out.

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
    Read more at http://quotes.dictionary.com/How_we_spend_our_days_is_of_course#6d0u8XhbCX1joSM7.99

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
    Read more at http://quotes.dictionary.com/How_we_spend_our_days_is_of_course#6d0u8XhbCX1joSM7.99

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Nice race report! Congrats on running that first race and of course, a new PR! Pretty soon you will have a closet full of tee shirts.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

BeeRunB

Glad your first race was a great experience.

I hope you enjoy your coming addiction,

and that you don't ever resort to crime

to pay for your shoes, race fees,

and Bodyglide.

Cool

Congrats! Great enthusiasm. I haven't run my first 5k yet. Got 2 more weeks to lose a couple more pounds. Hope it is flat Smile
          obiebyke

Congratulations! Glad you had fun. I lived in Oakland for 4 years, and my sister lives in Emeryville. I used to play soccer at the Bladium in Alameda. Keep at it! One Hour Runner next?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Another happy story! Smile

Nice work on your first race! Sounds like great fun! Smile

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                Slo

Congrats...I'm sure it's the only the first of many to come!

muppy

Sounds like you had a great race, congratulations!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In my experience (which is very limited, because I've only run races near me, mostly) many, many people do go out fast and slow down later in the race. I think it is good to run more evenly and pass those people later. Also, I think it is more enjoyable to pass people later, than to get passed later.

Congratulations!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

NHLA

Congrats. Great RR.

pedaling fool

Races are fun!! I ran my first one last year in Jacksonville's 15-K Gate River run and plan to repeat this year (2014)  http://www.gate-riverrun.com/

synapse,    wow that was an incredibly inspiring race report!  can't wait for your next one.    You hit most of the reasons why most of us who run like to run races.   You always remember the first time with fond memories as being extra special.

and yes that moment in time after the amped up start we all know exactly what you mean.  That point where you are settled in  & your breathing and strides are in cadence with each other, when you feel strong & relaxed & confident.   When you are focused & your form is not yet compromised & all you can hear is the sound of footsteps & the breathing of your fellow race partners.  Don't know what others would call it but I would just call it  "in the zone".

so congrats on your first race.  glad it was such a great experience.   running is alot of work sometimes but it should be kept simple & fun.  hope you don't lose the glow & fond remembrance of the first time.

Latent Runner

That point where you are settled in  & your breathing and strides are in cadence with each other, when you feel strong & relaxed & confident.   When you are focused & your form is not yet compromised & all you can hear is the sound of footsteps & the breathing of your fellow race partners.  Don't know what others would call it but I would just call it  "in the zone".

When I'm "in the zone" I always feel like I'm walking (errr, running) on a knife edge, one side is too slow and the other side will lead to a bonk.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                              • 2-mile: 13:49
                              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                              • 5-Mile: 37:24
                              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

You hit most of the reasons why most of us who run like to run races.   You always remember the first time with fond memories as being extra special.

and yes that moment in time after the amped up start we all know exactly what you mean.  That point where you are settled in  & your breathing and strides are in cadence with each other, when you feel strong & relaxed & confident.   When you are focused & your form is not yet compromised & all you can hear is the sound of footsteps & the breathing of your fellow race partners.  Don't know what others would call it but I would just call it  "in the zone".

Synapse:  WAY TO GO!!  Big grin  And kudos to DH's support!! Wink  CONGRATS on your first race, having fun and enjoying the race experience is the best part.  Being "in the zone'" is what I call it.  "Gush" about each race, it's good for the soul Smile.