anyone row? (Read 1033 times)

Big Chicken!

I just found this new thing at the gym. They recently got a rower machine. WOW! I LOVE this thing! I've been doing at least 2000 meters each time I go in, usually after a run or on a no-running day. What a great and fun workout. And I get to work my upper body, which I desperately need. Anyone else? Any advice or tips?
    Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

dork.major dork.

YAY rowing! I'm a former rower, but I still use the "erg", i.e., rowing machine. I would encourage you to peek around, on the Concept2 website or other places, to see how other people do it. Remember the order in which you move things -- if you start curled, or at the "catch" -- first legs push you back, then your torso swings, and then your back squeezes and pulls your arms in. On the way back same order - arms, then back, then legs. Also you should go backwards about twice as fast as you glide forward. Also, probably on the side of the big wheel there is a level and series of numbers, don't EVER put that number above 3 or so. It's just not necessary and you are much more likely to tweak your back, and a tweaked back is no fun. GOOD LUCK! HAVE FUN!

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

A Saucy Wench

I really miss rowing...it is great Xtraining...but my gym doesnt have one. I really miss the one my gym in Texas had ...oh this had to be 15 years ago. It had the video display where you could set yourself up a pace rower and then "race" the target. Kept it fun.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

VictorN

I have an old erg that I use 3-4 times a week. Usually I use it for 15-20 minutes as a warm up before other training or occasionally as cross training. Be sure you ramp up slowly and monitor any pains in your back. Victor

Big Chicken!

Thanks everyone! I have ordered the technique DVD from Concept 2. I cruised their website and it is chock full of info. I really enjoy the erg (apparently that is what I do, who knew?!) and have made it a regular part of my day.
            Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
              Rowing's my main form of crosstraining. I bought a Concept2 rower off of E-Bay four years ago & it was a great investment. Very little maintenance & I get a terrific workout. I usually row for a set distance (10K) & watch a DVD while I'm doing it. It's not as good a cardio workout as running but, it's pretty good & I do like the way it tones up my upper body.

Runs with ALTITUDE!

My Schwinn Windrigger rower got relegated to the guest bedroom, where it sits, all on its own Sad Guess I should/could use it huh?!?!? Confused