New shoes for marathon - break in question (Read 116 times)

BigDaddyJoe

I'm doing my first marathon in just over 3 weeks.  My current shoes are about 5 months old, but I feel the cushion isn't what it was, and my feet have been hurting me a lot lately.  I plan on going and buying a new pair today during my lunch hour.

I have just a couple questions:

1.  How long should I break in the new ones, yet still have enough cushion left on race day?

2.  I have a 20 mile run on the schedule for tomorrow.  Should I wear the new shoes for this run?  I have read that it's best to break in new shoes on multiple shorter runs.  But if my current shoes are hurting my feet, would it be better to use new ones for the 20 miles?

Before anyone asks, the shoe I use is the Brooks Glycerin.  I love this shoe, and am surprised the cushioning has worn down so quickly, they still look brand new, but I have logged a lot of miles in the past few months.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

an amazing likeness

I've seen or experienced nothing which showing shoes need to "break in", despite often hearing it. The reason to test run them is to insure you've got the lacing done ok, make sure there's not a bad seam rubbing, or some manufacturing defect, etc. Use the new shoes on your 20 to get them all set and ready to go. Use them between now and race day as much or as little as you want.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

If you are buying the same type of shoes you've always worn (model year updates do not count as the same shoe-- they can be vastly different) then I don't think you need to break them in at all. I would recommend wearing them on your 20-miler. Make sure you put body glide or vaseline on your toes and around your achilles area in case the shoe rubs you in a different way.

I always like to have 30-50 miles on my marathon shoes so that the cushion is like new, but I've run in them enough to know that they work!

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

I've seen or experienced nothing which showing shoes need to "break in", despite often hearing it. The reason to test run them is to insure you've got the lacing done ok, make sure there's not a bad seam rubbing, or some manufacturing defect, etc. Use the new shoes on your 20 to get them all set and ready to go. Use them between now and race day as much or as little as you want.

+1 to this.

A 20 miler is a great test just to make sure there's nothing weird about the new shoes that will rub you the wrong way. Other than that, it doesn't matter and mostly comes down to personal preference and/or superstition.

Runners run

BigDaddyJoe

I currently have the Glycerin 13, and I believe they haven't come out with the 14 yet, so it would be the same version.   I have 79 miles on the schedule between now and the marathon.  Is that too many to still have sufficient cushioning?

If you are buying the same type of shoes you've always worn (model year updates do not count as the same shoe-- they can be vastly different) then I don't think you need to break them in at all. I would recommend wearing them on your 20-miler. Make sure you put body glide or vaseline on your toes and around your achilles area in case the shoe rubs you in a different way.

I always like to have 30-50 miles on my marathon shoes so that the cushion is like new, but I've run in them enough to know that they work!

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

an amazing likeness

I currently have the Glycerin 13, and I believe they haven't come out with the 14 yet, so it would be the same version.   I have 79 miles on the schedule between now and the marathon.  Is that too many to still have sufficient cushioning?

Goodness, no. If your shoes are degrading in 79 miles, then there is a quality problem with that shoe / model.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Laughlin

That Guy

It's generally 300-500 miles before you need to go shopping for a new show.

runmichigan

I suggest that you do not use the new shoes for your 20 mile training run.  There is a small chance that there will be a minor imperfections with the new shoes due to quality issues.  I would rather find out about the minor imperfections on a short run than a long run.  You definitely should do some runs in them before your marathon just to make sure there are no imperfections that will make your marathon miserable.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Yes, there is a slight chance of a quality defect, and you wouldn't want to find that out on a 20-miler. But I think those tend to come in the form of stuff rubbing your foot the wrong way, which is why I like to body glide my feet before long runs with new shoes.  I'd rather have something rubbing my foot the wrong way than end up with an injury because I ran a 20 in dead shoes.

I think that for most people 79 miles is fine for your marathon shoes, but for me-- I only get 200 miles out of my shoe life and they are almost half dead at 79.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

BigDaddyJoe

Yes, there is a slight chance of a quality defect, and you wouldn't want to find that out on a 20-miler. But I think those tend to come in the form of stuff rubbing your foot the wrong way, which is why I like to body glide my feet before long runs with new shoes.  I'd rather have something rubbing my foot the wrong way than end up with an injury because I ran a 20 in dead shoes.

I think that for most people 79 miles is fine for your marathon shoes, but for me-- I only get 200 miles out of my shoe life and they are almost half dead at 79.

I've never used body glide.  I never seem to have some of the issues that I've seen other runners complain about - chafing, bloody nipples, etc.  I log all my runs, and need to check how many miles I've done since I bought the shoes.  I agree, the ones I have are dead shoes and I'd probably be better off in new ones.  I just bought the new ones at lunchtime and will wear them tomorrow.

Have never worried about breaking in any shoes - as previously shared the first run(long or short) is to simply get the lacings right.

Only 200 miles out of your shoes - I get 1500+, the pair I have now are at 1700 miles

runmichigan

Only 200 miles out of your shoes - I get 1500+, the pair I have now are at 1700 miles

I think you are an outlier.  Most runners get only 300 to 700 miles out of a pair of running shoes.  Heavier runners tend to get less.  Typically the midsole breaks down before the rest of the shoe shows any significant wear.  Of course individual results may vary.

jfa

Yeah but they must be chilly in the winter and you only have 3 toes left on your right foot.

SoCal never gets very cold and no toes = no toe nails to worry about