Flip-Flops Bad For Feet (Read 949 times)

Former runner

http://www.livescience.com/health/080624-bad-flip-flops.html And to think I was worried about aches and pains caused by wearing dress shoes at the office. Confused

Ross

AroundTheHorn

Not to mention the risk they cause to society (ie ugly toes or stinky feet).
      Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
        Yeah, flip flops are one of the greatest threats mankind faces. My butt-ugly Crocs on the other hand are heaven-sent.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

My podiatrist makes a comment about my flip flops every time I have been to him. Roll eyes He says they are bad for your feet and legs... something about having to grip them with your toes puts strain on your muscles at the front of your leg. He always comments about my best friends high heels she wears for work... what are we supposed to wear? Crocs and running shoes ALL the time???? Evil grin Confused MTA: Oh, and he says they cause your heels to crack and get yucky. Tongue
            I have to wear them - it's part of the state of Florida dress code. Wink That, plus my toes need to breathe.

Why is it sideways?

Nice article. I thought these few lines were righteous.
              No one can deny the joy [of walking barefoot], aside from podiatrists making a fist-load of money on their bruised feet. But as stated before in this column, nature has no intent. Nature is merely a framework in which humans evolved to live about 20 years, mate and die.
              This, too:
              Barefooters also run the risk of never being invited to an Asian home, because they can't take off their feet.
              zzz

I love my crocs.... never leave home without them... and yes they are butt ugly... unless you have the mary janes and those are kinda cute. Wink
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Not to mention the risk they cause to society (ie ugly toes or stinky feet).
                  Stinky feet are only a problem when you wear shoes most of the time. So I would think that chronic flip-flop wearers don't really have that problem. If you wore gloves all day every day your hands would be pretty stinky and ugly too. Wink As for the dangers of barefooting, you rarely hear complaints from the people actually doing it. I'll take my own first-hand experienced over the unbacked assertions in that article. The idea that podiatrists are making a "fist-load" of money off of bruised feet is hilarious. I regularly run up to 8 miles barefoot on sidewalks, concrete, packed dirt & rocks, etc. I can assure you my feet are healthier than they've ever been, along with my overall running form. I have been a runner for many years, and it was only after I made this transition that I was able to run completely pain-free at high (for me) mileage. Of course I agree with the article that this is only as safe and easy as it is because I live in a clean, wealthy place with proper sanitation. I'm a geek, not a luddite. I simply know I run much better when I mix in a good dose of barefoot running. And when I do run in shoes, they're super-minimalist.
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.