Does walking around a theme park count? (Read 922 times)

jck

Ok i spent 2 days walking around Silver Dollar City and missed running for 4 days. I will get back in the groove tomorrow, unfortunately i don't have a GPS so i have no idea how far i walked. How does everybody else handle training during vacation? I had the best intentions of running during but with 5 kids all getting up early it would have been quite a challenge.
    Clark 2008 Goals Run HM under 2hrs done-1:50 Run First Full Marathon Sept 14th 4:00 Finish all home projects---ya right
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I spent over 6 hours today at a water/amusement park and climbing lots of stairs...I've been trying to figure out how that would count as "cross-training," myself. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I spent most of my youthful summers down in the Ozarks though I've never been to Silver Dollar City. My family had a place in Laurie, MO. We actually still travel down a few times a year. Ozarks = fun. Anyway, it's your log so if you want to log runs you intended to run then go for it. I don't log walking but I'm not a log expert or an enforcer.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jck

I spent most of my youthful summers down in the Ozarks though I've never been to Silver Dollar City. My family had a place in Laurie, MO. We actually still travel down a few times a year. Ozarks = fun.
          I would agree i love the many lakes it has has to offer, I am trying to talk the family into going there every year instead of Sanibel Island.
          Clark 2008 Goals Run HM under 2hrs done-1:50 Run First Full Marathon Sept 14th 4:00 Finish all home projects---ya right
            Ok i spent 2 days walking around Silver Dollar City and missed running for 4 days. I will get back in the groove tomorrow, unfortunately i don't have a GPS so i have no idea how far i walked. How does everybody else handle training during vacation? I had the best intentions of running during but with 5 kids all getting up early it would have been quite a challenge.
            Don't sweat it...that's what vacations are for. In the long run who cares?
              Personally, I get up early to run on vacation and get back at about the time everyone else is waking and join in the flow at that time. Even walking around Disneyland for 12+ hours doesn't affect the same muscles of running. Besides, it feel cool/smug/holier-than-thou to know you put in X miles in the morning while everyone else is complaining about their sore feet after the day's walking.

ScriptCal

jck

Well back at it today and it is hard to believe what 4 days off plus eating and drink more than usual will do to your running. I felt tired and slow but it felt good after i was done.
                  I spend all day at work walking. Does that count?
                  jck

I spend all day at work walking. Does that count?
                    It has to be better than sitting behind a desk all day, I would love to be up and walking all day.
                    jeffdonahue

It has to be better than sitting behind a desk all day, I would love to be up and walking all day.
                      Ditto here - sitting is kililng me right now with my pinched sciatic nerve.

Run the race God set B4U

SDC will wear you out! We plan to go there in a few weeks and it will have to count for me as I will be too tired to try and get a run in that day.
                        5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                        Carl A

You could just estimate the distance. I'm sure it's at least a few miles. Or, if the area allows you to zoom in close, you could set it up as a New Course and use the map's Satellite feature to chart the distance. I think it would be fun to relive the day by connecting the dots between all of the rides and stuff you visited. Thanks for the question; I think I'll try to do this later in the summer when we take our kids to Hershey.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

C-R

Just spent several days at Disney with the family and kept a pocket pedometer to answer just such a question. We walked over 6 miles each day through the parks, hotels, shops, and so on. I would have never believed this without the pedometer but I guess that why the kids had no trouble sleeping. I counted these as active recovery walking days. In case anyone wonders, I did the same thing for some soccer games I refereed this weekend and on a 3/4 pitch and 30 minute halves, I ran/walked/sprinted and average of 3K per match. Sometimes its good to be a enginerd. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

rlemert

Thanks for the question; I think I'll try to do this later in the summer when we take our kids to Hershey.
                              We were just up there last week. I got up and ran easy for 30 minutes first thing, then spent the rest of the day running around the park. By lunchtime (we had a late lunch) the combination of the run, the heat, the humidity, and the walking had combined to leave me feeling a bit 'off'. Lot's of cool drink (including some water poured into my hat) and some fresh fuel helped make me feel better the rest of the day, though. It may not count as much as running would have and I'm not putting it in my log, but I believe it counts as significant cross-training.