My First Run... (Read 1251 times)

No golf-balls - but we did have to dodge a photographer! And it is nice having the club-house to take a water-break half-way through. If you told me I would run that loop a year ago, I would have laughed and rolled my eyes. So you can go from a couch-potato to a hill-runner in a year. I have wanted to adopt a grey-hound for quite a while, though I know I am at least 2 years away from being in a place where I can even think about making the 12-15+ year committment. (Yes, I can have a dog in my condo now, though I dont really have the time. The thing really holding me back: when I move in two years - will I be able to find a place for me and my dog to live? If I am in Boston, for example, I will be lucky just to find a place for myself......) I like the idea of taking my grey hound to the tennis courts or some other fenced-in area and wearing them out in 10 mins every day. Blush Though when I am actually in a position to commit, I will do more research and, as you said, make sure I know what I am getting myself into. Otherwise it isnt fair to the dog.
      I like the idea of taking my grey hound to the tennis courts or some other fenced-in area and wearing them out in 10 mins every day.
      Greyhounds are great! I've met quite a few... Great Dane and Greyhound people get along well seeing as Great Dane people are always getting "Is that a greyhound? I love greyhounds!" from passerbys. The greys are so nice and sensative and yes... BIG couch potatos. They also always have such wonderful collars on! Good luck in your quest. Awesome jog-golfing! Stephanie
      To keep it, you have to give it away.

My dogs are fast, not me

My husband and I have three Greyhounds and I can attest they are wonderful dogs! They are definitely couch potatoes, though, preferring the comfort of the couch and their beds instead of joining me on my 5:30 AM runs! Two of mine will do laps in the back yard and love to go to "playgroup" with other Greys, but I have one who takes his "retirement" from racing very seriously and will only run to his bowl.

Robin

We better stop the discussion. Just as I had to leave the grey-hound adoption "info booth" a year or so ago, this is making it very hard for me to continue to be responsible and keep myself dog-free. Cry But I have to ask - do they cuddle? Sleep with you? (I tried to teach my parets dog, but he just wouldnt sleep in my bed, and never when I was in it. He wouldnt event sleep in my room most nights!) How are greys with shedding and drooling? I have been told they shed some (like if you brush them or whatever) but they wont leave your couch covered with fur or slober like other dogs I know. Is this accurate?

Dog-Love

Alright you dog fanatics...is this a running thread or a smooch your doggie and talk about how amazing he is thread? Becasue if it is the latter I have to tell you about my gorgeous pup Rusty who runs the trails of Juneau AK with me (no complaints...just sheer joy) and sleeps with my duaghter on the couch. He is a great running companion and loves to roll in dead salmon. So...half marathon in Alaska next June eh? Maybe I will join you as I train for my marathon that I need to complete before I turn 50 OUCH!!! The sun will be up for the entire day and night. If you miss that one you can always run the half marathon in Juneau on August 6th or so. Great goals that you can no doubt achieve if you stay consistent! Looks like your pups appreciate the runs. Good luck
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

My dogs are fast, not me

We better stop the discussion. Just as I had to leave the grey-hound adoption "info booth" a year or so ago, this is making it very hard for me to continue to be responsible and keep myself dog-free. Cry But I have to ask - do they cuddle? Sleep with you? (I tried to teach my parets dog, but he just wouldnt sleep in my bed, and never when I was in it. He wouldnt event sleep in my room most nights!) How are greys with shedding and drooling? I have been told they shed some (like if you brush them or whatever) but they wont leave your couch covered with fur or slober like other dogs I know. Is this accurate?
              I thought we were stopping this part of the discussion? Big grin They do cuddle. I have one, who sleeps in bed with us and watches TV on the couch, too. She is very snuggly. The boys don't get on the furniture, but they love to be hugged and patted. As for shedding, their coats are pretty thin and we don't have much dog hair in the house. Never seen any of them drool, but they do have some occasional nose drips when they are stressed out. They really are wonderful dogs. Our three have very different personalities from one another, but fit well into our house. If you're really interested, your adoption group can help you find the Grey that best fits your lifestyle. Robin

Robin

Thank you for the advice! And sorry for hijacking the thread! When I know I have the resources (time, money, space, predictable schedule), I will definately get in touch with my local greyhound adoption group. For now, will you smooch your dogs for me and tell them they is wonderful? Your kids, too, while we are at it if you have any of those floating around your house. I was in Alaska a few years ago in August - I didnt do any running, but I had the best time! I am planning to go back some day, and am so jealous! You are going to have a blast - just make sure you leave yourself time to travel after the race!