do you think i'm crazy too? (Read 941 times)

Ok...I don't want this to turn into a heated discussion, but many of you are very health conscious individuals and I value all your opinions. So a little intro - I am 27 and have drastically changed my lifestyle over the last few years. I dropped 40 pounds, started running, and started eating better/healthier. My husband and I want to start a family soon, but we have MANY reservations. One such reservation is the probability (or rather, possibility) of having a child who may be mentally or physically handicapped in some way. I am trying to be VERY P.C. here, but I do have a few family members with different physical and mental handicaps. I know no one wishes to give birth to a child who will be challenged for their entire life. If the problems in my family are genetic, then it is what it is, but I cannot help but feel that many of the handicaps we see in children today MIGHT be from environmental things. I know there are issues about vaccines, hormones in meat, etc. So, my husband and I decided that if we are going to start a famly (we cannot afford to adopt - period), we would like to make a good effort at trying to make our bodies as "chemical or crap free" as possible. I figure this is probably the only thing environmentally that we have complete control over. Therefore, I came off the Pill (to get all those synthetic hormones out of me), I am switching to as much organic produce and meats as I can find (its not easy!), I have already stopped eating any tuna or sushi, and all other medications will be weened out of our systems as quickly as possible. We have consulted physicians (my husband is on 2 anti-anxiety and anti-depressants, so its very tricky) to help us through this as well. I am expecting to not even start trying for a family until early next year (I think it will take that long for hubby to come off his meds and be fully adjusted). I figure this will give us enough time to be as "cleansed" as possible. And since I'm already off the pill, if an "accident" happens - then it is what it is. we will be excited either way. Everyone in my family thinks we are being crazy - am I? Is it over the top to think that I might be able to decrease the chances of having a handicapped child by making my body as healthy and natural as possble? I would also like to note that I believe I will be given the child I am supposed to have - if that includes someone who will be challenged, that thats what it is. I have total faith that what happens is for a reason, but I still want to try to help the situation along as much as I can. All opinions are valued - thank you!
    colinw

I am not a doctor, so I can't offer any professional advice. I am however, a young father. I had similar concerns to yours because I thought it would be very difficult and in mind impossible to deal with a handicapped child. I did some research and the vast number of children are born completely healthy and the overwhelming odds are good that your child will be healthy and "normal". I think eating better, exercising and eating less chemicals is good for anyone, not just those looking to build a family. We had a healthy son nearly 2 years ago and it has been fantastic. He is the light of our lives. We have also since had a devastating miscarriage which was nature taking care of itself by terminating an obviously incorrect pregnancy. For that episode both my wife and I were much healthier and eating better, etc. So much of having a baby is random and has very little to do with the health and habits of the parents - tons of healthy babies are born to abusers and unhealthy people, and lots of babies born to very healthy people end up with significant issues. I don't want to burst your bubble because I am sure getting healthy will only have a positive effect on your efforts and your baby (not to mention yourself), but it won't guarantee anything. What I can tell you is that you will love your child no matter what they look like, issues they have or challenges they come along with.I was never much of a "kid" person, but that all changed the minute I held my son. The healthier he is the better, but if he is sick or unhealthy I would do anyting and everything to help him in any way I could.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Dave

I don't think you're crazy but I do recommend that you talk to your OB/GYN. I believe there are some tests that you can do before you try to conceive to rule out or define certain genetic risks. Maybe your doctor can give you some insight into specific linkages if there are any between certain health factors and risk of birth defects. From our discussions with doctors after my wife became pregnant with our youngest, the main risk factor was maternal age beyond a certain point. I hope things work out for you.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I would definitely talk with your doctors more about this, especially regarding your husband's medications. I am assuming he is on his antianxiety and antidepressants for a reason. This reason might become a big issue should he come off the mediations! Also, do some research and/or ask your doc to do it for you; from what my doctor has told me, there are not too many things that will make a difference on his end (as far as "healthy and chemical free" sperm goes). Unfortunately, I have been told the ball is mostly in the female court as far as being careful with diet, exercise, and chemical exposure. If your husband is healthy otherwise but has a reason to be on his meds, I would seriously reconsider taking him off them...of course, this needs to be between him and his doctor, also.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would definitely talk with your doctors more about this, especially regarding your husband's medications. I am assuming he is on his antianxiety and antidepressants for a reason. This reason might become a big issue should he come off the mediations! Also, do some research and/or ask your doc to do it for you; from what my doctor has told me, there are not too many things that will make a difference on his end (as far as "healthy and chemical free" sperm goes). Unfortunately, I have been told the ball is mostly in the female court as far as being careful with diet, exercise, and chemical exposure. If your husband is healthy otherwise but has a reason to be on his meds, I would seriously reconsider taking him off them...of course, this needs to be between him and his doctor, also.
            Ditto. For him to go off his meds may offer no benefit to a conceived child, but could cause needless difficulties for your hubby. I would definitely find out what your doc's take is. But other than that I think your plan is sound. Eating foods as close to natural is generally not a bad idea. Simply cutting out processed stuff is a good plan--sticking to the outside perimeter of the grocery store where the whole foods are. Good luck with it all! I know you guys will be great parents. You're already looking out for your baby's needs and you'll instill a love of fitness in him/her, too. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think your healthy lifestyle may be more indirectly related to the baby's health than any direct chemical link to some defect. You'll have an easier time managing your weight so less risk for gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, etc, all of which can cause premature birth or worse. Like someone else said, so much of what happens is "random" and out of your control, but it can't hurt to stack the cards in your favor a little. I can tell you this though, I have a one year old daughter, and it's definitely worth the risks. You love your spouse/parents/siblings, but it's nothing compared to how you'll feel about your child, and my wife would tell you the same thing in a second.
                So much of having a baby is random and has very little to do with the health and habits of the parents - tons of healthy babies are born to abusers and unhealthy people, and lots of babies born to very healthy people end up with significant issues.
                While in general this may seem to be true, the health of the mother is extremely important to the developing fetus. My husband is a researcher in a lab that studies gestational diabetes and was recently at their annual international research seminar. We have two pregnant family members and in our discussions just yesterday he told us all that it's becoming increasingly obvious to people doing research that the fetal environment is extremely important to what will be the ongoing health of the child throughout it's entire life. A mother that exercises, has relatively lean body mass will provide a very healthy fetal environment for the developing fetus. Obviously, if there are genetic problems being passed on by the parents, those problems won't be repaired during development, however, it's now clear that the fetal environment can affect the expression of genes (I'll come back with a link and the correct terminology and update this). Most hospitals should have some genetic counselors available to consult with parents who have any concerns about possible gene-based issues.
                ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                  It's not crazy to want to do the best for your child. Healthy eating and fewer chemicals are a good thing! I just thought I'd toss out a thought that's related somewhat - toss it out if you like. My daughter was born with her brain wired differently than most and has some fairly significant processing and communication problems. She's 19 now and while sometimes I wish life were easier for her, life is still good. There's lots of good hidden what looks like something bad. That's it... just thought I'd say....
                    I have considered genetic testing, but I know what runs in my family is not genetic, or cannot be found genetically. I have an aunt with Asberger's, my brother with some "unknown" highly functional mental handicap, and a cousin we all swear has fetal alcohol syndrome (undiagnosed) mixed with some autism. so they are all essentially unrelated. as for my hubby - i don't think coming off his meds is a good idea, but he is pretty adamant about it so far. I think he just wants to make some kind of effort as well. we are under his doctors care for this. and while the doc also doesnt think its necessary (I know the men dont contribute too much to the helthy fetal environment) she is still willing to give it a try. i personally dont think it will last long for the hubby - his irritabililty is already getting hard to manage and its only been a week on a slightly lower dose! so i'm sure this idea will be short lived and it will be all up to me. thanks though for reassuring me - like i said, the family thinks we're going crazy. I know having a healthy baby is a "random" occurance, but when you have family members like mine mentioned above, its sometimes a little harder to believe that it IS totally random. I keep repeating the words "just have faith" in my head

Bugs

My sister contemplated marring her DH because he did not want to have kids because of a genetic disorder in famiily. They got married, and had two kids. My sister did everything perfect. but yet both kids have Asbergers. Her kids are the same age as mine, and it is hard not to compare. I don't know how they managed. They moved to a different town with more school options. They now pay for special therapy $4K/year for the kids, and I think this is just the beginning. She does not work mostly, because frankly the kids need her, and the extra therapy takes time to run them to this and that. If money is an issue you may want to consider all this. My kids are very social, and can easily have an Aunt or Uncle take care of them. Her kids have a really hard time with anyone else, thus as parents they don't get a break often. The kids are mainstreamed right now, the oldest has a aide with him all day long. Sometimes he is not invited to birthday parties because Mom's don't want him with "their normal" children. I often wonder what the fate of her kid's will be. My brother in-law who didn't want kids, actually does a great job as a parent and doesn't seem to bare any resentment for their choices. Honestly, I don't think I could do it. Good luck with whatever you decide, I would really advice talking more to your doctor more.

Bugs

I won't repeat what's already been said but you're certainly not crazy for wanting to create a healthy environment for a pregancy and baby. But you can make yourself a little crazy if you worry TOO much. My wife had a terrible seizure shortly after our 2nd child and had to go on anti-seizure medication for the rest of her life. We had always planned on a 3rd child but now the risk of birth defects went up a little - she could not come off that medication. We certainly had reservations about what the meds might do and what the pregnancy could do to my wife. We went through a lot with the decision but by talking to the doctor and researching, we finally decided to go for it and were comfortable with the level of risk. We had our third healthy girl. She was born without a working thyroid but that was a completely random thing not related to the anti-seizure med. She takes a pill every day and is a perfectly happy, healthy toddler today. We've been told she'll be tested for learning diabilities when she's at Kindergarten age but so far, she's further ahead in every benchmark/milestone than her two older sisters. It can be a very emotional thing but just listen to your heart and don't let your brain overanalyze things too much. Based on how much thought and care you're putting into this, your baby, regardless of possible challenges, will be one lucky kid. And the rewards are tremendous. You have no idea how much love you're capable of until you have a child.

running yogi

... I often wonder what the fate of her kid's will be. My brother in-law who didn't want kids, actually does a great job as a parent and doesn't seem to bare any resentment for their choices. Honestly, I don't think I could do it. .
                          No Bugs, you would deal with it just like your BIL is. We all deal with life. Chrissy, I know where you are coming from. I used to watch Discovery Health all the time and decided I would never have kids even though my DH wanted them. I told him I would never be able to deal with a sick or hurt child. When I turned 34 I finally realised my clock was ticking and I cannot turn it back. So we decided to have a baby. Well, I would give birth when I turn 35 so I had to go through all these genetic counselling stuff etc. I got myself tested for everything so if the baby came with problems, i would learn about it and learn to deal with it. I like to be prepared while my DH would rather not learn or know about such things until he is faced with it. We had a perfectly healthy baby, but I still watch Discovery Health everyday and wonder what if my baby gets leukemia or this or that ? How would I go thru it ? I watch those parents and think, I would go through it exactly like they are. Staying healthy will help you, absolutely. High blood pressure during pregnancy is one of the most common problems of unhealthy moms. I was very healthy, but I still got gestational diabetes. But nothing that couldn't be controlled and no lasting effects on anyone.
                            I think what is making it so hard for us to imagine dealing with a child with disabilities is having to see it every day in my brother, and like i already said, he is HIGHLY functional. but still - he gets teased, will probably never hold a decent job on his own, will probably never live on his own, and unfortunately got lost in the schools system somewhat despite my mom's constant determination not to let him get lost. the stress his everyday life puts on my parents is unmeasurable. but you just do it. i could go on and on about this topic, but I dont want it to turn into some long rant about disabled children and how they come to be. so thanks again for supporting my decision to try and take matters into my own hands (as much as I possibly could). its probably just going to be for my own peace of mind, but every little thing could help!
                              Maybe a less loaded question would be "am I being irrational?". For example, doing everything you can to keep your neighbor from buying a lottery ticket to increase your chances of winning would be irrational, since there are millions of other factors you aren't controlling. I think you may suspect what you are doing is analogous to the lottery case. The question is the amount of effort you are putting in compared to the amount of causal control you are gaining over the outcome of your possible pregnancy. The problem is that medical science doesn't have definite answers yet, but it does seem that you are dealing with very very small probabilities compared to the large fixed causes that you can't change. Here is the other concern: living in constant stress and anxiety is not good for physical health. Is your quest for control over your pregnancy creating this stress and anxiety, with the result that by creating stress hormones you are doing more harm than good? No need to call this behavior crazy--just irrational given reasonable knowledge of causation. My cousin and his wife decided that there is just too much mental illness in the family for them to have children. My sister, on the other hand, arguably the one in the family with the most severe mental illness (bipolar with psychotic features), is very happy with her three children. It is possible that her oldest son (8) has Asperger's that was brought on by her use of Depakote during pregnancy. Of course, no causation has been established, and the doctors aren't sure whether it is even Asperger's. As he gets older, he does better and better in a school environment. My point is just that the primary issue for you seems to be that you are having a hard time dealing with the inevitable lack of knowledge and lack of control you will have over any pregnancy. While of course you should continue to choose what seem to be healthy habits over unhealthy ones, you and your husband should decide whether all things considered there is more risk of a situation you can't accept than you are willing to take on.
                                Perhaps you've already read this, but this might ease one of your fears slightly. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/thimerosal.htm