2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

Well was not meant to be.  Was having one of my best cycles yet and felt confident to PR (3:53) yet got injured in my taper.  Strained flexor hallicus tendon in foot.  One week from race I could only limp to coffee pot.  Sports doc put me on no running until race day (8 days!! longest I have gone with no running since I can remember, miserable...) and went in and did several ultrasound treatments.  ($$$)

Started the race anyway with full intention of only goal making it to HM point where the race would curve around by our resort.  I was going to hop out and get a bloody mary and cheer all our other friends in at finish.

Strange things happen, I felt great and no pain.  Very fresh.  Avg'd around 8:45.  My husband who was fully expecting a strong race then developed a major hamstring issue around 16.  I stopped on side of road and waited a few seconds for him to catch me.  He was not a happy camper and kept wishing me ahead.    I slowed down with him to about 9:25 for a mile or so so we could reevaluate our plans.  It was his 40th bday and I hated to leave him, he started huring more and  walked with him for a few minutes.  We are a weird married couple that actually enjoys to race together.  Finally at mile 20 it was hurting me to run that slow and we said our goodbyes.  I knew my goal was out the window but I was so happy I was running!  I just wanted to finish.  Didn't care about my time, to think I almost came so close to just not even starting.  (everyone thought I was nuts to even try)  So I went on and decided to finish strong.  Knew I was about 4:10 where I sat then.  Then in the last out and back I saw the 4:00 pace group!!  (I had left off my pace tat and my brain that could do 3rd grade math)  Holy Crap, I was in front of them.  So I tried to gun it and then at mile 24 foot went to hell.  I ended up having to back off pace to about 9:30 last mile.  Every inch hurt so bad in that tendon, but was going to finish. 

Imagine my shock to round the bend and see the clock.  Looked at my watch.  Official time 4:00:41. I guess those two portapotty breaks was a bad idea... Ouchhhhh!  Ha, my streak of sub 4:00s is over (it was only 2, okay, but still I really would have been so happy to kept streak alive)  But such is life.  Happy to finish.  Good news is after week off after race the foot feels okay and I am back running.  Hoping to hit that PR next Jan.  Happy Running!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Wow, great report, Rozzie.  Can't wait until the movie version comes out.

Things turned out surprisingly well considering where your post started.  Congrats!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes Rozzie, things did turn out well!  Congratulations on the race and your foot feeling better.

steph  

Maniac

Great race Rozzie!!  To turn in that time with all the obstacles you had is very impressive!  Congrats!! 

I hope your DH finished and is feeling better.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Turbolegs

Rozzie .. what a race !! Congratulations on the 4hr finish, and that after doing everything you did that would have taken time off the clock. For one thing, its good to get to the start line of a race you werent quite sure you were going to be running a short while back. For another thing, finishing the way you did is just amazing. Smile Your PR eagerly awaits your arrival later this year!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats!

.  I stopped on side of road and waited a few seconds for him to catch me....I slowed down with him to about 9:25 for a mile or so so ..... he started hurtng more and  walked with him for a few minutes. 

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Turbolegs

Atomno2 / Wing - How is the training coming along? Just about 3 weeks to go now so for your races so tapering should be around the corner.

I just happened to see the Elite list for the Tokyo marathon and it has all the makings of a memorable race. Gebreselassie's last possible attempt to qualify for the Olympics if he does indeed start the race (he was supposed to race last year as well but pulled out in the last minute).

Am really keen on seeing how Kawauchi fares in the race (he is an amateur runner who placed 3rd last year).

I just happened to see the Elite list for the Tokyo marathon and it has all the makings of a memorable race. Gebreselassie's last possible attempt to qualify for the Olympics if he does indeed start the race (he was supposed to race last year as well but pulled out in the last minute).

Unless he's injured I should think he'll start. It's not necessarily his last chance tho'. If things are not going well the smart thing would probably to pull out before the end and try again somewhere (maybe London). I don't know the details of the Ethiopian selection process, but presumably they'd be keen to give him every chance to get a decent time to qualify.

About 3 weeks ago I realized I had waited too long to register for DC, so instead I will be running River Towns on 5/5. Sorry TeaOlive.

As a result I have an additional 7 weeks to train. After mulling it over and getting advice from a couple of the "RA all-stars" I decided to scale back for 3 weeks and then ramp back up and finish with the last 7 weeks of the plan. It's tempting to try to "take advantage" of the extra time, but I don't think I can handle, psychologically or physically, 25 straight weeks of the plan's level of training intensity.

That and the fact that I'm pretty sure my wife would shoot me Wink

I'm actually looking forward to River Towns  more than I was for DC. I think the small town feel will be more to my liking, not to mention the varied surfaces and nice views.  I am a bit worried about the temperature though as I am not a good warm weather runner.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I know what you mean about the small town feel!  I only signed up for DC because my daughter lives up there and

was going to do the halfRoll eyes   Other wise I would have gone for something smaller too.

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I know what you mean about the small town feel!  I only signed up for DC because my daughter lives up there and

was going to do the halfRoll eyes   Other wise I would have gone for something smaller too.

Here is something a little closer to home.  A trail race. Going under 4 could be a challenge.

http://dirtyspokes.com/tr_races.php?trraceid=1&trpageid=19

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I work in Times Square, directly across the street from the new years ball.

I think, among other things I like about running, it is an escape for me.  Running my first (and maybe only) marathon with > 20,000 participants through city streets just isn't what I'm looking for. (At least I don't think it is Joking )

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Actually, the thing that I am worrying about the most is the wind.  Some of those streets will be like a wind

tunnel if the wind is fierce.  

steph  

Wing

Joggaholic

I finished! 4:07:43. Although I didn't make sub-4 I'm still very happy about my first marathon time. Report to follow...

Turbolegs

I finished! 4:07:43. Although I didn't make sub-4 I'm still very happy about my first marathon time. Report to follow...

Congratulations on an excellent race .. you can almost smell the sub-4 now surely !! Look forward to your race report ... Hope you get some well deserved rest ! Cheers Smile