2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Right now I'm working on pretending to be a morning person.  I'm more likely to run at 8pm than 8am.  With DST it is even more painful just hauling my butt out of bed.  Tomorrow I'll actually try and do a run in the morning in a limited attempt to get my body used to the idea.  As for the taper: doubt it creeping in.  If feels like so long since I did a workout that was meaningful.  I'm trying to trust in the wisdom of others, that the hay is in the barn -- and not blowing around the field being eaten by wild cows.

Turns out I'm in Corral 1 . . . with over a thousand other people.   Biggest race I've ever run.  I sorta forgot there would be "traffic" the whole way.  I'm used to the 5ks around here where it gets pretty thin around mile 1.5.

It's been difficult to curb my eating with the reduction of miles.  So i probably put on a pound or two.  

Mostly, I'd like to get this over-with, so I can go back to not worrying about how every little thing is going to affect Sunday.  Right now I'm in "protect my investment" mode -- I'd really like to say yes to my buddy's invitation to a racquetball game, or our team's volleyball tournament, or hiking in the 70F weather.  Hell, I'd like to get take off an run for two hrs in this weather.

Can't wait for Sunday.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I was feeling pretty psyched till I got to DC yesterday and remembered how much walking

that I'll be doing this week.  OopsBig grin

The weather will be a little warm.  Maybe showers too.  But for me that is better than too cold.

I am worried about all of the restaurant eating that we will be doing this week...I do like to eat.

steph  

Turbolegs

stadjak / Teaolive .. both of you sound like you are ready .. exactly what you could ask for!!

Hope you guys are stacking the carbs these couple of days .. have a fantastic outing and post back as soon as you can .. Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Slice

I'm kicking around the idea of a sub 4:00. I'm running my first full on May 6 (Flying Pig) and do NOT think I can pull off 4 hours. But given my recent HM PR of 1:42, all the calculators think I can. I would like to give it a whirl but don't want to fall apart at mile 15 either. So I'm not officially joining y'all in the quest, but I'm officially thinking about it. I look forward to reading everyone's race recaps in the meantime so I can either fully commit or bow out.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Turbolegs

I'm kicking around the idea of a sub 4:00. I'm running my first full on May 6 (Flying Pig) and do NOT think I can pull off 4 hours. But given my recent HM PR of 1:42, all the calculators think I can. I would like to give it a whirl but don't want to fall apart at mile 15 either. So I'm not officially joining y'all in the quest, but I'm officially thinking about it. I look forward to reading everyone's race recaps in the meantime so I can either fully commit or bow out.

Had a look at your log .. you do have long runs in the ballpark for traning to a sub-4 marathon. Your HM PR is rocking ... to the extent that some here would advise you to be more aggressive with your FM target.

Bearing in mind i dont know your training plans for the next 6-7 weeks or how difficult the course is, I personally think you should give sub-4 a shot in May, you do have a strong chance of pulling it off. Try to keep it together for 20 miles and if you feel like it, go for it! Also, i wouldnt want to shoot for anything lesser (like 3:45 or so) - there are a lot of marathons you would be running, and it always feels good to keep improving your PR so savor every moment across the finish line. Smile

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

We had a good day.  RnR USA.  I ran 3:56:46.  It was a bit hot by the time I finished 

but I don't really think that it affected me much.  The last two miles were a bit rough.

The race was organized very well.  I must admit that we (DH and I) were pleasantly surprised

after some things that have been on line referencing RnR.   I was able to say hey to Julia1976

for a second.  

steph  

Julia1971

We had a good day.  RnR USA.  I ran 3:56:46.  It was a bit hot by the time I finished 

but I don't really think that it affected me much.  The last two miles were a bit rough.

The race was organized very well.  I must admit that we (DH and I) were pleasantly surprised

after some things that have been on line referencing RnR.   I was able to say hey to Julia1976

for a second.  

OMG!  I didn't make the connection that that was you.  I thought you said you were looking for someone named, "Steph".  Now, I feel rude for not chatting.  Disapprove  Glad you had a good race, though!  Congrats!

ETA:  And, thanks for taking 5 years off my age!  Wink

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oops.  I shouldn't have been so quick! 

I felt funny yelling at someone who I wasn't even sure was the right person.

Plus was in a hurry to get to my corral Smile

steph  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

TeaOlive, congratulations!!  You got your sub-4!  That was your first marathon, right?  

Turbolegs

for a second.  

A SUPER BIG CONGRATULATIONS TeaOlive !!!! Smile Fantastic news!!

Well deserved !! Cant wait to read your race report ...

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

OMG!  I didn't make the connection that that was you.  I thought you said you were looking for someone named, "Steph".  Now, I feel rude for not chatting.  Disapprove  Glad you had a good race, though!  Congrats!

ETA:  And, thanks for taking 5 years off my age!  Wink

Julia - You look much younger than your age!

LedL - This was my second marathon.

Turbo - That's pretty much all I got!  Not too much into writing stories Big grin

steph  

fake it till you make it

3:56- WOO HOO!  Congrats TeaOlive!

TeaOlive - Way to go!  Glad you had a such a good day.

Stadjak - Waiting to hear from you.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

3:32:11: Long winded race report.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

fake it till you make it

3:32:11: Long winded race report.

WOW.  3:32 is a phenomenal race.  Excellent race report.  Congratulations on a great race!