How reasonable cyclcing 360km a week before marathon ? (Read 69 times)

charljulien

Hello,

I am new to this forum and looking for advice.

I'd like to descend the Romantische Strasse (refered as "RS" further) before running  Linz Marathon in Austria next year in April.

About RS:

experience with running:

• already ran 2 marathons last year and in April
    • familiar with Marathon training

experience with cycling:

• none

What I know:

• 2 last weeks before marathon race are easy going
    • alterning cycling and running can be beneficial

What I don't know:

• Is cycling 360km before race week simply reasonable/ realistic ?

Advice from trialthon runners much welcome

• 2 last weeks before marathon race are easy going

Well sort of. That time is intended for your body to somewhat recover from the abuse you inflicted upon it during training, and be fresh for race day. Not to heap on new stresses from another activity. That sounds like a lot of cycling for someone with no experience, and it's hard to say how your body will react.

I do not have cycling experience either, but my answer would be: it depends. What is your goal for the marathon? If you are targeting optimum performance, this sounds like a bad idea. If you're running it for fun and just to finish, and if RS is something you very much want to do, and you're in good shape, you'll probably manage.

Dave

there's nothing reasonable about cycling 360 km.  

I think 3-3.5 miles bike equals to one mile running.  So you decide how reasonable is running 20-25 km (13-15 miles) each day the week before marathon.

I think 3-3.5 miles bike equals to one mile running.  So you decide how reasonable is running 20-25 km (13-15 miles) each day the week before marathon.

360km sounds like a lot to bike in the days prior to a running race.

With that said, I don't think I agree with HappyFeet's 3:1 or 3.5:1 ratio.  Truth is that is the timing ratio (bike about 3x faster than run).  But the stress on the body for biking is less than the stress on the body for running.

Biking "70km" per day is not the same as Running "20-25km".

My concern would be the type of bike and the terrain.

Obviously, the lighter the bike, the less strain.  And, the effort, the less strain.  A casual "4 hour" ride per day (20km/hr) would be relaxing, especially if you break it up throughout the day.

I have a burning desire to do a ride like you describe in Europe.  I travelled to the Netherlands this past summer, and want to ride around the IJ, which might be about 350km.  But that's all flat, and I presume I wouldn't run a marathon afterwards Smile.

"Austria" sounds hard (hilly).  "Netherlands" sounds easy (flat).

Not sure the route or the terrain, but be mindful of hills, as that will hurt the quads, regardless of your pedaling efficiency.

Cheers,
          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

While fully agree that biking is less stressful that running the same amount of time, for someone not used to longer rides, the 2-3 hours per day on the bike will mean tired legs  and sore body parts for the marathon.    That said he should totally do that ride.  There are marathons once every other weekend.

mikeymike

Or running a marathon for that matter. But that's no reason not to do it.

Runners run

undue monkey

While fully agree that biking is less stressful that running the same amount of time, for someone not used to longer rides, the 2-3 hours per day on the bike will mean tired legs  and sore body parts for the marathon.    That said he should totally do that ride.  There are marathons once every other weekend.

100% agree. I have driven that route (Wurzburg to Füssen) and unless I was getting paid for a result in the marathon there's no way I'd miss an opportunity to bike it.

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

Perhaps start bike training in advance of the trip?  But carpe diem man!  You have to do this

Regarding cycling 360km a week before a marathon, it depends on the individual's fitness level and experience with endurance sports. For some athletes, especially those with a strong cycling background, this might be reasonable. However, for the average person, it may not be the best idea.