Calf (Read 1399 times)

I think I may have a calf strain. Not sure. I have a big ball of a knot on the outside, upper portion of my right calf.  Seems to be grabbing everything in its reach (mainly my knee and upper and outside area of the shin).  It's made running more or less impossible.  

Working on the stationary bike and "arc trainer" are absolutely painless experiences.

I welcome any insights.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

OK.

I had a calf strain two summers ago.  Came on like a cramp, didn't really hurt a ton.  But it kept hurting.  Weekly massage therapy (not the relaxing kind) and 3-4 weeks of not running helped immensely.  I spent maybe a couple weeks gaining confidence in it, then resumed my lame "training".

Is your gastroc involved much in the Arc trainer and/or stationary bike?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I really don't know, but I'm getting the sense that all I need to do is lay off it.  Thanks, Clive. 

Those calves look rather relaxed and unstrained.  

Why is it sideways?

I really don't know, but I'm getting the sense that all I need to do is lay off it. 

Is that your spidey sense speaking to you?

I hate to advocate "rest" to anyone, but ... I'd been warned that a calf strain heals "differently" when it's being continually stressed, and that suboptimal healing can leave a weak spot susceptible to reinjury.  I didn't accept that 100%, but I've since learned of a handful of guys in their 40s who've had recurring calf problems and never lay off when injured (tennis players, mostly).  I hated taking so much time off, but mine healed completely and hasn't given me any trouble at all since (knock on wood).

-- Dick LeBeau

Why is it sideways?

Clive is right: rest is the best solution for calf strains, absolutely. If you can't stand to rest, then aqua jog or swim or use the elliptical.

Nader,

I think you need to do more than just stay off of it. I'd get it checked out by doctor you trust. 

Once the pain is gone, assuming it's a pull or strain, it's important for the scar tissue to be worked out.

In the mean time try this (I do this often on my troubled calf areas):

while sitting, lift your problem leg and let your lower leg dangle. Take your thumbs and press on the sore spot. While pressing,  try to flex your ankle up and down.  Repeat a few times and see if the pain subsides. 

Tom

Is that your spidey sense speaking to you?

No, it's my tiger blood. 

Why is it sideways?

No, it's my tiger blood. 

heh.

google Cross Friction  Massage. Instead of up and down, an aggresive side to side rub down helps clear scar tissue. Rest of course is always good, but some intervention is also helpful at least it has worked for me.

ud32

Google "Graston Technique" - a form of really deep tissue massage using metal instruments to break up the scar tissue and knots. I have had it done  - for my calf and for my IT band.  Most painful thing I ever experienced - but it worked. Required only like 2 or 3 sessions. You have to find a therapist trained/certified to use the "torture tools" !

I also wore compression socks almost everyday while it healed.

Good Luck

bhearn

Definitely, head to your PT. What? You don't have one? Get one.