Garmin FR 10 vs. Runmeter iPhone app (Read 460 times)

What are the advantages/disadvantages between a Garmin Forerunner 10 and an iPhone app?

Thanks.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

(sound of crickets in forum)

I have used Runkeeper & Strava on iPhone. However I recently got a Garmin Forerunner 210 for Xmas.

I posted a similar question on another forum a while back, it seems the GPS watch is the choice of most hardcore runners. However both are good options. I don't know the exact features of the FR10 or Runmeter, but here are the general benefits of each:

Watch

- lighter weight

- longer battery life

- easier viewing while you run

- more water resistant

- can upload to RunningAhead & maintain logs here (or to other sites - I am currently uploading to the Strava website)

Smartphone app

- you have your phone with you for emergencies

- doubles as MP3 player

- automatically syncs with website for that app (watch needs to be connected to computer to transfer data)

Hope this helps! Keep running!

Dave

Loves the outdoors

I can't comment on the Garmin FR10 specifically or the runmeter app, however I do have a Garmin 310XT and an iphone.

I hate running with my iphone for several reasons

1) It's big and won't fit in a pocket

2) It's expensive and I'm paranoid about it getting wet

3) Because of the above two reasons, I can't imagine being able to monitor distance, pace or time while running as I keep it in a baggy inside a SPI belt. This actually may be a positive though if you run better without feedback

4) I really do love my iphone, just not for running

I love my Garmin for running

1) It's huge and I have small wrists but I'm used to it

2) If I'm interval training I can do it wherever as there aren't any tracks around here

3) I often like to just run off and I can turn around whenever I get to my target distance.

4) It has ridiculous battery life - I have had 3 months or more without using it (injury/sickness) and it still had 50% charge

5) I'm a bit of a data geek at times and it's fun to see how smooth I've kept my pace, how fast I went up that hill etc etc

6) I can monitor my HR if I feel the need.

Lots of people run with iphones though, so it probably depends on your climate and whether you run in any weather. It rains a fair bit where I live and that is often combined with wind and I run whatever the weather, so my paranoia about getting the phone wet is pretty justified.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

My iPhone went in an arm strap (mostly open to the elements), or sometimes just held in my hand. I never had a problem with light rain (actually got much wetter just from the sweat soaking through), but in heavy rain I found it fit perfectly in a snack size Ziploc bag in the arm strap.

I ran a marathon with the iPhone in an arm strap. After the race, barely perceptible compared to the crippling leg stiffness, I noticed my shoulder was sore - I realized it was probably from the weight of the phone on a swinging arm over 26.2 miles. Decided if I did run another marathon with it, I would switch arms midrace.

Dave

I use the Garmin FR 10 and love it. It seems to be very accurate with a current pace that updates within a couple seconds.

I don't know about the Runmeter app but I run with a couple friends that use the MapMyRun app and its definitely not as accurate. Their times and distances are a bit off and when I compare our maps their lines are all over the place, zigzagging, cutting corners and shifted off the path we actually ran.

I briefly used an iPhone app before I got my Garmin, and in my experience the Garmin is more accurate on distances.  No GPS whether in a phone or a watch is going to be perfect, but the Garmin seems to do a much better job than the phone app did.  Also the things that others have mentioned about the Garmin being easier to read during a run, and the GPS chews up the iPhone battery pretty quickly--fine for short runs but if you're going any distance that could become an issue.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I use Runkeeper, not Runmeter, but I can confirm that the iPhone isn't nearly as accurate as the Garmin.

Exhibit A: track workouts on Runkeeper are a zig-zaggy mess, showing me running across the infield many times (and adjusting the "distance run" accordingly).

Exhibit B: When I did get my Garmin, the iPhone would show me running sometimes a half of a mile less than the Garmin, perhaps out of spite.  The longer the run, the greater the discrepancy.

I still run with the iPhone, with Runkeeper broadcasting live tracking, for safety (so they can locate my crumpled body after the inevitable wild hog attack).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Mmmmm...beer

I've never run with a smartphone app, but the FR10 is great, fully waterproof, easy to use, not too bulky and the pacing is really smooth.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

why would you ever want to run with your phone?

---------

JackTen

why would you ever want to run with your phone?

In case you need to make an emergency call, if you're listening to music or podcasts, because it has GPS data and apps, because it combines the functionality of a garmin + ipod, because some of us don't mind carrying a few extra ounces on the road.

I've run with Garmin and my phone using the runkeeper app, and there's no difference between the tracking in my area.  The distances were within 0.05 miles on my long (>13 mile) runs.  The phone tracking was within 0.2 miles of the measured HM course.  The runkeeper app has audio cues if you like them (current pace, distance, time, etc) for whichever interval you select or the cues could be shut off entirely if that's what you wanted.  I've never had an issue with my phone tucked in a spibelt and/or a waterproof chest pocket of my vest. It's never gotten wet in the rain.

I can't stand anything wrapped around my wrist and I'm happy not to replicate one small function of my smartphone in a $200 watch.

Jess runs for bacon

I've never used Runmeter, but I did use endomondo. I got a FR10 after my coworker let me borrow his 210 for my first half. I had my phone in my armband and the app going, and the garmin. The app lost me for over a half mile. The Garmin is spot on. I still usually run with my phone, but I find I don't listen to music much anymore so it just goes in my SPIbelt where it won't jiggle. I'm incredibly happy with my FR10. I think the main sticking point with the apps (or at least, endomondo) is that it wouldn't give me my current pace, just my pace for the overall mile when it was done. If there was an app that did that, I would imagine it would be a huge PITA to look at it all the time, whereas with the garmin I just have to look down.

(sound of crickets in forum)

just about forgot I asked the question. thanks for the comments, I take my phone on the runs for the GPS app and music but found the other day running without music isn't all that bad.

im thinning the garmin is the way to go for accuarrcy.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

charland

I've tested about 30 running-related apps on my iPhone, and also use a Garmin 910XT.

Re the iPhone, Runmeter works best for me.  I use it during long runs, and it sends updates automagically  to family letting them know where I am while out and about.  During races, they can follow along and see how I'm doing, they also send encouraging messages which are read as audio to me, etc.  The phone itself also provides audiobooks, podcasts, music, trail mix app to control music beats to match your step count, metronome functions, the economist audio edition, etc, good for those 4-hour runs!

However, during the last marathon, water damage ruined a phone.  I'll be using lifeproof cases in the future, probably also wrapped in a ziplock or three!

Generally, while running, I find a garmin watch gives better information, basically because it's more easily visible to you while running, than using the audio function with any running app (or I suppose, digging it out of the pouch and looking at the info).  The 910 allows you to

Perhaps the future is google glasses, even easier than flicking the wrist, might be nice to have a display in the bottom corner of one eye giving lap pace, distance, etc, could link it to phone data.

re accuracy, I've found that the garmin is more accurate, mostly negilbly,, sometimes significantly (eg about 1km off of distance on a marathon vs about 150 metres for the Garmin).  Keeping wifi on hurts battery life of the phone, but improves accuracy (it uses exisiting wifi spots to improve gps information).  I haven't really done a test since the switch to apple maps on the iphone, not sure if that affects things or not.

One piece of info I get from my Garmin that I don't from my iphone is step count (through a light foot pod which is always on my shoe, helps also when I'm on a treadmill to keep track of general running data), which is not vital, but nice to have.  Some other running (and walking apps) have this feature, might be nice to incorporate for Runmeter.