Blinded By the Light (Read 384 times)

Walk-Jogger

So I went for a first run in my new Adidas Adizero Hagio's this morning. I bought these last week from Runningwarehouse.com on sale and with a discount coupon, so even though I didn't need them, the price was irresistible and I wanted to add them to my growing shoe collection. But that's a different problem. The color of these shoes is called "Infrared". They look like a soft orange in the photos. Not my first color choice, but it looked tolerable for the price. They looked a lot brighter orange when I unboxed them in a dimly lit house.

But I swear, while I was running outside in them early this morning, in the dim grey early morning outdoor light, they were so bright they nearly blinded me every time I looked down at them! They don't just seem to glow, these shoes scream "NEON ORANGE!!!".  I've never seen such a bright colored shoe before. I have a feeling if I wear these outside at night, I may not need my headlamp - these shoes will light the way. Shocked

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

I'm all for visibility during dark runs, but I'm with you on some of the recent shoe designs.  See the Mizuno thread for a full get-off-my-lawn color rant.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I like my Electric ones Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I'm all for visibility during dark runs, but I'm with you on some of the recent shoe designs.  See the Mizuno thread for a full get-off-my-lawn color rant.  Big grin

Big grin

---------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I recently got a new pair of Asics GT2000:

There was a time when you only saw shoes colored like that at races, worn by people who were there to destroy you and everything you believed in.

Now that I'm part of the waddling, middle-aged running proletariat, I suppose the egalitarian thing to say would be "fun colors for all!", but I will admit to missing the days when only people who had serious game would have the audacity, nay, the worthiness to wear shoes that loud.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm a little bitter that grown-ups can't get those shoes with the flashing LEDs that all the kiddos have/had.

Feeling the growl again

I recently got a new pair of Asics GT2000:

There was a time when you only saw shoes colored like that at races, worn by people who were there to destroy you and everything you believed in.

Remember the orange FILA flats circa early 90s?  A lot of the Kenyans wore them.  They were crazy at the time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

I like my Electric ones Big grin

Those are so bright the color isn't even rendering right on this computer.  And I'm blind now, thank you.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Wow.  And I thought my yellow Wave Rider 16's were...yellow.

I'm all about it, though, especially with the neon stuff.  As far as I'm concerned, the more bright bits on me, the safer.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Walk-Jogger

Now that I'm part of the waddling, middle-aged running proletariat, I suppose the egalitarian thing to say would be "fun colors for all!", but I will admit to missing the days when only people who had serious game would have the audacity, nay, the worthiness to wear shoes that loud.

LOL - that made me smile. And I agree with your general lament. While it is always my intent at every race to destroy all opponents, age and reality have reduced me to mainly outracing women and young children, and those folks with generous BMI numbers, and even some of those types are beating me these days... However, in reviewing the literature for my new Hagio's, I ran across this bit of hopeful news: "It has a responsive midsole that springs back with excellent energy return, to help you fly through the course unhindered and undefeated."  So it looks like I might now be on the cusp of a winning streak with these babies...

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Cecil, did you fall off the Mizuno Wave Universe bandwagon?  I recall you really liked those.  I bought a pair on your rec and have run some good mile, 5K and 10K races in them.  Definitely a fan, especially on the track.

At the Davis Stampede on Sunday there was a New Balance booth that had their new "5000" (that's what the guy called them) shoes.  3.6 ounces and get ready .... white in color!

Walk-Jogger

Cecil, did you fall off the Mizuno Wave Universe bandwagon?  I recall you really liked those.  I bought a pair on your rec and have run some good mile, 5K and 10K races in them.  Definitely a fan, especially on the track.

At the Davis Stampede on Sunday there was a New Balance booth that had their new "5000" (that's what the guy called them) shoes.  3.6 ounces and get ready .... white in color!

Not at all, Ken - I raced in the Wave Universe's at my track meet last Sunday and also in a 5K race the week or so before that, and ran decent fast times for me at all of them. However I keep expecting my pair of Wave Universe's to fall apart one of these days, (they're holding up quite well however) and I'm always looking  for bargain racing shoes to try out, so I bought on sale a pair of Piranha's which are maybe an ounce heavier than the Wave Universes, and these Hagio's to try out for half-marathoning, since they're a half-ounce lighter than the Ronin's and seem to have a similar grippy tread design that I like. I would not hesitate to buy a replacement pair of the Wave Universes, if I really needed them, but for a hunert+ bucks retail, I don't need them just yet.

I wouldn't dream of running anything further than 12K in the Wave Universe - my feet wouldn't talk to me for a week afterwards if I tried to run a half marathon in them. I'll either run my HM in the Ronin 4's or these bright Hagio beauties. Maybe they're so bright it will blind the competition? The Ronin 4's are ugly, I have to say. But they were on sale as well, and my old Ronin 2's (ugly yellow but not SCREAMIN NEON YELLOW) are all a bit worn and also my stinkin feet are just a bit bigger than they used to be, so I am moving up to a size 10. This is the third time I've had to move up to a larger shoe size since 1985... Started as an 8.5, now needing a 10. unless there's something in between a men's size 9.5 and 10. 

Retired &  Loving It

superspike113

Honorary Old

I have been running in these, they looked a lot more orangey coral and less crazy bright hot pink on the RRS website

Asics GelNeo33 Electric coral

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

#artbydmcbride

Getting nervous if the runner next to you has bad-ass flats.

Runners run

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Unfortunately not true in my case.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.