1st 10km this Sunday - suspected Achilles Tendonitis (Read 918 times)

Hi all, Well the week has finally arrived. My first 10k is this Sunday. I have to say I was quite excited. My number arrived in the mail together with my championchip / tshirt etc; that was until I got out of bed yesterday and was in a bit of pain around the achilles heel area. I found that all day yesterday if I walked for 10mins + I would be in pain. Its really starting to concern me as to whether I will be ok for this Sunday or not? looking on the web, I think it might be Achilles Tendonitis brought on by sudden increase in training as opposed to gradual. I was running 4 - 4.5 miles until last Saturday where i did my first 6.2 miler (quite hilly)..... should I ease off this week and see how it is on race day? or scrap the race altogether? Am quite concerned and worried to be honest, i really wanted to get out there on Sunday, but not at the expense of any risking long term damage. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
    Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
      My take would be to back off a bit this week, ice it, take ibuprofen and see if it becomes manageable. I ran a marathon with Achilles Tendonitis once, so it can be done.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Another thing you might take a look at is your shoes--does the back of your shoe press at all against the tendon? Can you find a shoe that doesn't press there? By the way, also check the shoes you are walking around in, if they are not your running shoes. Good luck!

You'll ruin your knees!

Listen to these guys, Joe, they know their stuff! I do think backing off a bit this week and the ice/ibuprofen combo Mike recommends is a good start. Best of luck to you... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Joe, If the pain is at the heel and not further up, my guess is that you've got plantar fasciitis. Here's one link describing PF: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=144 I had PF when I first started increasing my mileage about 4 years ago. Have you had shoes fitted at a running store. That was my solution (a properly fitted new pair of trainers) in combination with an orthotic insert. Hope you have a quick recovery.
              Thanks guys, im definitely not doing any mileage this side of Sunday. Ice application starts this evening. Ibuprofen from pharmacy. My shoes are a good brand - priced mid range - they felt ultra comfortable at time of purchase. Shop assistant didnt seem to know much about running. They are my 1st pair. I think I will investigate those orthotic insoles too. Irritation is midway between heel and calf - that 'cord' type sheath area.. I appreciate your posts on this. God i hope those icy Jan Feb nights out are not in vain...slow gradual increases for me when this eases off.
              Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.

Why is it sideways?

My shoes are a good brand - priced mid range - they felt ultra comfortable at time of purchase. Shop assistant didnt seem to know much about running. They are my 1st pair. I think I will investigate those orthotic insoles too. Irritation is midway between heel and calf - that 'cord' type sheath area.
                If it helps to know: I just had to abandon a pair of $110 shoes because they were causing problems right where you are having them. I've bought umpteen pairs of shoes in my life, and I can't ever tell how they'll treat me until they start to hurt me. A small thing that is unnoticeable at the time of purchase can make its presence known over time. Do the ice, take your vitamin I, and (beating a dead horse) I'd say go on and buy your next pair of shoes. If your current shoes aren't the problem, then you can keep wearing them later, but if they are--then, problem solved!
                  Reading with great interest. My first on 20th May, but after running 9km "a bit quicker" through the hills last weekes I have similar symptoms - except that walking is painful right now.... The very best of luck friend!
                    Have just returned from a sports store. Picked up an ankle support and having tried it on, i have to say i do like how it fits and feels just walking around the house. Going to the park this afternoon for a very light 1 mile walk/jog and will take it from there.fingers crossed.. Tx. Joe.
                      Well im just home from my 1st 10k and had a fantastic experience. My achilles behaved itself all around the track. The whole buzz of race day is great, I would strongly encourage anyone starting to run to gear towards a race (but not too quickly Blush ) I achieved it within my target time of 1 hour (58:26). A little rest for me now until the achilles is at 100% and then an eye on the next challenge down the line. Thanks all for your sound advice. Joe.
                        Hi Joeblogg. What 10K did you run. I also ran a 10K this Sunday, The Bupa Great Ireland Run 10K. 58:58 was my finishing time. First time also.
                        Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                          Great job Joe!! Cool
                          ---- Cynthia
                            Thanks Cynthia. Yeah Cordovez it was the Bupa 10k in the Park. a cool experience just to be revved up by the samba bands and dj's around the track was cool and to get through sub 1:00 is sweet also...look forward to the next one Smile
                              Yeah, loved it. Maybe the Marathon this October? I't's 9 PM, I think I may go for a run in the park now.
                              Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                                Oh, I doubt it dude. I Dont have enough base training for that. Only started in Jan this year. But I do have one eye on Oct '08 though Big grin