Ick, I hate 5ks... (Read 881 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...so I just registered for one in about 5 weeks--3 weeks after my 25k and the day before my marathon training officially kicks-off. Haven't done a 5k in over a year-and-a-half...am curious to see what my PR is, but not looking forward to the inevitable pain. I'd MUCH rather run a HM. Black eye The first 100 registrants get technical Ts, so that was my primary reason for picking this one...and the timing is good--don't want to do much in the way of racing once I'm doing the marathon training. It's also for a good cause (raising money to fund a charity that provides free medical air transportation). I think the race is run on the runway of our nearest airport--that's kind of intriguing.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Kirsten! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your time. Wow, it should be very flat!

Queen of 3rd Place

The way you've been running lately you're going to PR hugely! Which in turn will minimize the duration of your suffering. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

That sounds like a fun race! You'll do great. I bet that you'll find that you view the 5k differently after this race. Joe_h and I ran a 5k that started and finished on a runway at a closed up airport, it was pretty cool.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The way you've been running lately you're going to PR hugely! Which in turn will minimize the duration of your suffering. Big grin Arla
            Ha, I hope that is true! I think I was probably running ~30mpw the last time I did a 5k--and it was after maybe 6 months of running. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Zoom, You will easily PR. You have much more running strength now compared to past 5K just from more time on your feet. Yes, the 5K can be painful or should be but it is fairly quick. 1st mile shouldn't be too painful but from there it takes guts and strong mind to fight through discomfort. Last mile should not be fun at all. I love this though. I like to push and fight through this. I also find the half marathon more painful because after running 10 miles I run the last 3.1 miles with the mindset of a 5K on tired legs. Now this is pain!!!Of course if one starts the half too fast, there is no ability to pick up pace last 3 miles. Live and learn. This 5K race for you also is an excellent tool to help you determine your fitness and give you an idea for training paces for marathon training and rough estimate of what time may be reasonable for the marathon. You will do awesome!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This 5K race for you also is an excellent tool to help you determine your fitness and give you an idea for training paces for marathon training and rough estimate of what time may be reasonable for the marathon. You will do awesome!
                That is a really good way to look at it--especially right before marathon training.

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

You will be happy with your race - from your posts : you work hard & it will pay. First mile - control yourself ... then kick it in ... enjoy! Even though I'm not a 'front of the packer' - I do find a short jog & 3 or 4 strides really get my fast twitch fibers turned on and make a difference. For me it prevents the first 5 minutes being like "crap - I don't feel warmed up & my legs are stressin already!".

peace

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You will be happy with your race - from your posts : you work hard & it will pay. First mile - control yourself ... then kick it in ... enjoy! Even though I'm not a 'front of the packer' - I do find a short jog & 3 or 4 strides really get my fast twitch fibers turned on and make a difference. For me it prevents the first 5 minutes being like "crap - I don't feel warmed up & my legs are stressin already!".
                    That's good advice. I've never been one to do much of a warm-up before a race, but I think for this one I might want to run as much as a mile maybe 15-20 minutes before race start...most runs it takes me 2-3 miles just to feel ready to go...which is one reason I don't like 5ks.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's a good opportunity to HTFU and show off that sprinter speed you're always talking about. Big grin MissPratt is right about the strides. And I agree, a 15~20 min really easy warm-up is important. Especially if you, umm, need to, umm, empty the cache before your race. Blush

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Especially if you, umm, need to, umm, empty the cache before your race. Blush
                        That's what coffee is for, dude! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

That's what coffee is for, dude! Big grin
                          Big grin

Michelle

And I agree, a 15~20 min really easy warm-up is important.
                            This makes a huge difference for me. I can really feel it if I don't warm-up enough. My breathing never settles and my legs feel stiff if I go into the race without at least 15 minutes of an easy warm-up.

Michelle

De-slacking in progress

I'm just hoping to complete my first 5K without my heart exploding !! (and in under 30 min) 29.59 would be just fine with me. I know- get back on the porch with the pups and leave the big dogs alone Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm just hoping to complete my first 5K without my heart exploding !! (and in under 30 min) 29.59 would be just fine with me. I know- get back on the porch with the pups and leave the big dogs alone Big grin
                                Are you kidding?! Under 30 is a great time for a first 5k...mine certainly wasn't that fast. Blush The best thing about first races--you can only get faster! Another great thing is waiting almost 2 years between 5ks...I hope to see a great time, too. Smile Hey, and the 2 year anniversary of my first 5k is in June. June is a great month for first races and getting truly addicted. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay