My Second Half Marathon... (Read 306 times)

Better I Leave

Well it's over.

Not as good as I was hoping for, but I finished and with a slightly better time than my Oakland half, ya know? Not to mention that Oakland was "flat" and Walnut Creek had a climb between mile 4 and 7 with an elevation gain of about 400ft. I was concerned going in because of a pulled muscle and fighting a cold, but I was determined to finish and finish I did...which I am happy for.

I put myself in the 2:00 group to start. My pace was very easy for the first mile or two so I picked it up a bit and left the 2:00 pacesetter behind. I was running surprisingly strong up until mile 7 near the top of the hill. That's when I began to notice a "twinge" in my left knee. My groin pull oddly enough wasn't bothering me in the least. Then on the downhill my knee began protesting even more. By mile 9 I was pretty much in constant pain and I decided to back way off. That's when the 2:00 pacesetter passed me...bummer.

By mile 11 the pain was pretty intense and I had to pretty much walk the next two miles with weak attempts to begun running again but my knee was not going to have anything to do with it. At mile 13 I decided I told myself that I would, at the very least, finish by running the last tenth of a mile...which I did (grimacing the whole way).

I finished with a time of 2:14:03

Packed my knee in ice last night when we got home and I can walk today (heh) but my knee is reminding me that I did a half yesterday...LOL.

All in all, not how I wanted to run the event, but I did better than my first...And the nice thing is that there's more half marathons in the future for me to attain my goal of a sub 2 hour, ya know? **grin**

And I learned a thing or two as well. One thing is certain, I need to get in more long distance "road work" on my runs as opposed to treadmills and trails. I think asphalt and concrete is less forgiving than dirt paths and treadmills...I think I need to "condition" my knees for running on harder, less forgiving, surfaces.

Better I Leave

...and I got my first "floater" pic taken from their FB page. Smile

Glad you beat your Oakland time even if the race didn't completely go as you'd hoped.  You're absolutely right that asphalt & concrete are less forgiving than treadmills & dirt paths so I wonder if that contributed to the problems you ran into if you're not used to that.  The hill actually might not have as big an impact as you would think (unless it's what caused your twinge of course)...I've found in races with a hill similar to the one in WC, I tend to make up more time on the downhill afterwards than I lost on the uphill part so I actually find it easier to PR (at least in half marathons & 10K's) on a course that does have a hill like that vs something that's totally flat.  Downhills can be tough in terms of causing/exacerbating injury issues though, at least in my experience.

I also had a less than stellar race yesterday at WC--although I knew I might have a bad time going in, so I set out to run it as a training run (shooting for ~2:15 finish) rather than trying to race it.  I wouldn't have even run it at all, except I was going for the NorCal half series medal and to get it I had to run this one.  Since I'd already run the other races I needed, I figured I was going to do this one even if I had to walk the whole way!  I had tweaked my left calf & right IT band doing some 10K's during Thanksgiving week--took the whole past week off from running and that was enough for my calf to be fine, but the downhill part pissed off my IT band so I also ended up having to walk starting at mile 9 and finished slower than I had hoped (2:33).  But I got my medal!

Better I Leave

Glad you beat your Oakland time even if the race didn't completely go as you'd hoped.  You're absolutely right that asphalt & concrete are less forgiving than treadmills & dirt paths so I wonder if that contributed to the problems you ran into if you're not used to that.  The hill actually might not have as big an impact as you would think (unless it's what caused your twinge of course)...I've found in races with a hill similar to the one in WC, I tend to make up more time on the downhill afterwards than I lost on the uphill part so I actually find it easier to PR (at least in half marathons & 10K's) on a course that does have a hill like that vs something that's totally flat.  Downhills can be tough in terms of causing/exacerbating injury issues though, at least in my experience.

I also had a less than stellar race yesterday at WC--although I knew I might have a bad time going in, so I set out to run it as a training run (shooting for ~2:15 finish) rather than trying to race it.  I wouldn't have even run it at all, except I was going for the NorCal half series medal and to get it I had to run this one.  Since I'd already run the other races I needed, I figured I was going to do this one even if I had to walk the whole way!  I had tweaked my left calf & right IT band doing some 10K's during Thanksgiving week--took the whole past week off from running and that was enough for my calf to be fine, but the downhill part pissed off my IT band so I also ended up having to walk starting at mile 9 and finished slower than I had hoped (2:33).  But I got my medal!

Thanks for your feedback Liz. Yeah, I'm definitely gonna get in more "road work" before my next half. It's way cool you got your medal. Kudos to you my friend. I'm definitely going to try for that medal this upcoming year myself. All in all (not that I have much experience in courses) it was a pretty good course though...IMHO. Smile

You should definitely go for the medal next year.  This year I did Oakland, California Classic in Fresno, and Davis Moonlight as my other 3 races.  I was supposed to do Running with the Bears in Greenville too, but had something come up and get in the way of that one.  There are lots of other choices though so it depends on where you live and what sort of scenery you're looking for.  I did Cal Classic because I wanted to do the "Classic Challenge" where you bike the century on Sat and run the half on Sun and get a special jacket.  Fresno isn't especially scenic, but there were some really pretty parts on the bike ride going up into the foothills, (although much of the later part of the ride was through boring farm country and it was 95 degrees out, so that was somewhat less than pleasant!) and running around the Fresno Zoo in the half was pretty cool.  I did Davis Moonlight because I thought it would be fun to do a night-time race (and it would have been--except it was still pretty warm when the race started, and I went out at my normal race pace which not surprisingly turned out to be a mistake).

Better I Leave

Well I just signed up for the Davis Stampede Run this February and I'll be registering for Oakland. Ya know, I must've done something right this time because today I am completely pain free. I may have been hurting after the run, but less than 48 hours I feel like my old self. I still will never forget the 2 weeks of pain I had to endure after my very first half back in 2011.