Kids running (Read 689 times)

My 11 year old dd started running with me about 6 months ago. We did the couch to 5K program, ran a couple 5ks (she ran at my pace) and is now training for a 8 mile race (still mostly running at my pace). She has been doing all of her running with me (and I am SLOW) and will literally run circles around me since I am paranoid about letting her out of sight and she wants to go faster. Tonight she ran with my husband, she completed a little more than 5 miles in 45 min and during some of that 45 min she was waiting for him to catch up so she probably could have ran it much faster. She has totally fallen in love with running, she wants to run a marathon, wants to be in the Olympics.....but the thing is I don't know what to do with her. She is only in 6th grade and our schools don't have track or cross country until High School- so she has a couple of years to wait until she gets a real coach. Plus, I don't know how much to let her run. How many miles a week is too much for a 11 year old? For road races I know she can do 5ks, but for longer races, what is the longest she should run? Any tips/suggestions for parenting a wanna be running prodigy Confused?
      That is AWESOME...Over the Christmas break I was running on my in-law's "dreadmill" and my 3 year old son begged to come watch...As I started out he seemed so interested in it that I asked if he wanted to try it and I got an emphatic "yes Daddy!" I knocked the speed down considerably and held his hands and he started jogging and he kept telling me "look Daddy, I'm running!" Every few seconds or so I got paranoid (he's only THREE!) and asked if he was tired to which he'd reply "no Daddy, I'm not tired"... He went a 1/2 mile on the treadmill with me holding his hands and at the end said "I'm still not tired Daddy" but I could tell that he WAS tired...I can't even tell you how excited the whole experience made me, because my wife doesn't run, has no interest in it, so the majority of my runs are all by myself...Not a big deal, but I love a nice long run with a friend/co-runner...If the seed can be planted in my son, I might have myself a running partner if I can keep it up myself and hold on for a few years... Anyway, I kinda rambled Tongue I don't know what the mileage should be for a younger runner, but it's probably all relative to each child's desire and current health level...It is AWESOME that she's interested though, since so many kids want to video-game it up and eat crap foods...
      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
      ashares

I dont know much about really young people and excercice, but maybe this website can help http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfacts_display.aspx?itemid=205 anyways, youre lucky that you have a daughter who is so self motivated! If running all those miles is too much, convince her to bike instead, or maybe swim

Dog-Love

I am no expert on kids/running/problems, but I lead the 4H running club here in Juneau AK and we have runners from 3rd grade through middle school taking part (about 30 kids). My daughter is an avid runner can easily complete a 5K in 23 minutes (no real training) and just loves to run. Running should remain fun for kids and getting elementary school kids on a strict training plan doesn't usually promote their fun running. In the kids running group, there are a pack of kids 10-12 who are way faster than me (7-8 minute milers) and if I don't have a fast adult on hand then they run my pace (8-10 min miles). When I have a fast running helper...then they are just beaming as they run through the trails here in Juneau. That said, kids run HM and 10 Ks no problem (I am talking 12 and under kind of ages). If your daughter wants to run, just make sure she is safe (have a running adult with her). How many miles a week? Well if she wants to run with you as many times a week as you do, it wouldn't hurt (as you say she is not running full bore) and would build your mother daughter interactions. I used to keep up with my daughter in races but now she is faster than me. We starting running together when she was 7. Cross country should be an option for your daughter in the middle school. If its not, find out why. Its cheap (just a pair of shoes) and it usually includes daily runs of varying lengths.
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Top 'O the World!

I ran into this group @ the Denver Marathon! http://www.kidsrunningamerica.org/
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holo, your daughter sounds like mine! She is nine and started running with me just a few months ago. She loves it! She quickly outpaced my husband and me, also! Her first 5k in November was 28:41, and her second in December was 27:21 (that race was in Boston, so we made her run with my husband, or I think she would have finished faster). I asked her how hard the race was for her on a scale of 1 to 10, and she said, "Oh, about a 6 1/2." Fortunately, her big brother in HS is very fast and gives her encouragement and advice. Here is one site I found about kids: http://www.kidsrunning.com/krasktraining.html It has a lot of good advice. Three times a week, no more than 5 miles per run, seems to be the recommended maximum for kids. As Crabby mentioned, I'm surprised your middle school doesn't have XC. It's pretty common these days. Usually the high school coach is interested in grooming kids that age to get them ready for his/her team. Ours even requires his runners to attend the one-mile fun runs in town as an example to the little kids. Maybe you could talk to that coach to see if someone could start an after school program for middle schoolers. My middle child, a 7th grader, is totally unlike his siblings - he looks like a football player and is as slow a runner as I am (that's saying something, believe me). But he was determined to run on the cross country team. He always came in last at meets, but he hung in there and it was a great experience for him. His teammates and the other parents were great about cheering him on. The high school XC team has been fabulous - what a wonderful sport for kids! There's no "politics" - the qualifications for Varsity are very clear-cut. There's no favoritism like I see on the soccer and baseball teams. The coach is excellent and the kids are getting great training - my son's team won the Maine state XC championship (class B) this fall. Now my husband is kicking himself for not having become a runner in high school, lol. Anyway, all of this to say that your daughter has picked a great sport, and I wish her all the best! Teresa
                I would try to emphasize consistency in her training and keep it as fun as possible rather than competitive. If she can get out and enjoy the training for its own sake and have fun just running, she'll develop the kind of mentality that will lead to a more mature approach to competition when it gets more serious. With girls it is especially important not to ramp up the mileage or the intensity too much during the pre-teen and adolecent years. Their hips are developing and placing strain on their knees in ways that make them far more likely to become injured. These injuries turn this love of running into a source of endless frustration. You have to be careful working with a high school coach. I'm not sure what the rules are in Hawaii, but in California, I was not able to work with any junior high school kids until they were graduated from the junior high and were bound for my school. No workouts, no phone calls, no anything. I could work with the coach at the junior high school but not the kids. So be careful with hooking her up to a high school coach. It could cause trouble for everyone, especially if another high school gets wind of it and reports it. Keep in mind that running is an excellent source or college scholarships for girls. Colleges and universities must, by law, provide equal support to their mens athletics as to their women's. That means the college or univeristy must make up for all the money they spend on football with scholarships and resources for women's sports. Women's track and cross-country have been huge beneficiaries of this need to equalize resource allocations. College and university coaches do want young women who are fast, but they are more concerned with solid training backgrounds and injury histories. So that consistency and injury avoidance are key. Don't let her get too competitive too early. Let her love this sport and have fun with it. The rest will follow.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

I would try to emphasize consistency in her training and keep it as fun as possible rather than competitive. If she can get out and enjoy the training for its own sake and have fun just running, she'll develop the kind of mentality that will lead to a more mature approach to competition when it gets more serious. With girls it is especially important not to ramp up the mileage or the intensity too much during the pre-teen and adolecent years. Their hips are developing and placing strain on their knees in ways that make them far more likely to become injured. These injuries turn this love of running into a source of endless frustration. You have to be careful working with a high school coach. I'm not sure what the rules are in Hawaii, but in California, I was not able to work with any junior high school kids until they were graduated from the junior high and were bound for my school. No workouts, no phone calls, no anything. I could work with the coach at the junior high school but not the kids. So be careful with hooking her up to a high school coach. It could cause trouble for everyone, especially if another high school gets wind of it and reports it. Keep in mind that running is an excellent source or college scholarships for girls. Colleges and universities must, by law, provide equal support to their mens athletics as to their women's. That means the college or univeristy must make up for all the money they spend on football with scholarships and resources for women's sports. Women's track and cross-country have been huge beneficiaries of this need to equalize resource allocations. College and university coaches do want young women who are fast, but they are more concerned with solid training backgrounds and injury histories. So that consistency and injury avoidance are key. Don't let her get too competitive too early. Let her love this sport and have fun with it. The rest will follow.
                  Thanks for the good post! I didn't know about the rules for high school coaches. It's also good to learn about the opportunities for women in college! Teresa
                    Thanks for all the advice! I will just keep her running with me and my husband and let her run in local races. She has been begging to run in a 10 mile race that is coming up in March, but I have convinced her to do the 5K instead. She may be a really good runner, but she has no sense of direction- I just know she would get lost Tongue- and neither my husband or myself really want to run that race. I am hoping she is now more familiar with the 5K course that I can just let her go for that race and see how she does (last time she didn't turn around- it was a out and back course and I had to run extra to catch her). She really isn't that competitive when it comes to her running. It seems that she likes the races for the atmosphere- plus she has always had to stay with me or my husband so she has never all out raced so it should be interesting to see how she does in that next 5 K. As for our regular runs- she is the one that drags me out of the house to run, but we have no problems if she skips a run (sometimes it is nice to run without someone asking if you are sure you can't go a little faster). I am also going to have to consider what I am going to do with her for High School- right now she goes to school at a small charter school that does not have sports (but does have an excellent academic program). When she is in High school she would be allowed to play sports with the nearest high school, but that school barely has a sports program and is like an inner city school with no city and with no child left behind, sports in not a huge priority. I think their cross country team showed up to 1 meet last year, and they couldn't get enough kids to form a track team. Her home high school (the one that she would go to if she wasn't in a charter school) has a pretty good track and cross country team, but the school itself is a nightmare when it comes to academics, drugs, violence, etc...., but at least I have 2 1/2 years to worry about that. I never dreamed that when I decided to start running that it was going to be my dd who would catch the running bug! I do have to say that I am thrilled that she loves it so much and is so good at it. She is the kid that the PE teachers would give a good grade for effort, not skill. She has always been really smart, but never very physically talented (to put it nicely).
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holo, I think it's wise to discourage her from doing the 10-mile race. Even in high school, the longest races the team runs in are 5ks. We had to rein our son in during the 8th grade, because he was running too much. I hope you can find a good team for your daughter, because those kids get plenty of running in! High school is when they start doing 10-mile and longer runs during practice. Our son was like your daughter in that he never excelled at sports. He's always been short for his age, and that held him back. But when he discovered running, he just took off. He's already gotten letters from Lehigh and the Naval Academy because of his accomplishments, and he's only in 10th grade. My husband and I just shake our heads, because we can't figure out whose genes he got.
                        With girls it is especially important not to ramp up the mileage or the intensity too much during the pre-teen and adolecent years. Their hips are developing and placing strain on their knees in ways that make them far more likely to become injured. These injuries turn this love of running into a source of endless frustration.
                        That's a pretty bleak observation, even though it's true. Bummer, bummer, bummer. I hate risking injury because running keeps me calmer and happier, but I also love to run all the time...
                        "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.