New Balance 1223's (Read 674 times)

I went to the NB factory outlet today to buy a pair of 1061 (as they were on sale to make room for the 1062's).. The 'running shoe consultant talked me into a pair of 1223's and they feel really great on my feet now, but I havent run in them yet........the reviews look a little mixed on the runners world shoe review web page....since the 1223 are a top NB model, they should be very good.......and I need lots of support on my feet... I normally read up in advance before I buy something but its too far to the place, to go home and research, so I took a chance and bought them anyway Does anyone have experience with the 1223?? And how do you like them??? Thanks...JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

Did the consultant do a gait analysis on you? There's a world of difference in the stability of those two shoes. If one of them is right for you, the other would almost certainly be wrong.
      Brandon
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did the consultant do a gait analysis on you? There's a world of difference in the stability of those two shoes. If one of them is right for you, the other would almost certainly be wrong.
        That's kind of what I'm wondering. John, do you normally wear the 1061? That is a neutral shoe, while the 1223 is pretty high stability--the only thing with more stability would be a true motion control shoe. If a neutral shoe like the 1061 normally works for you, then I imagine the 1223 could be a source of real discomfort for you.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JOHNMAGGIO

Both are very good shoes, but they are worlds apart.
          www.nbannapolis.com
            We didnt do any gait analysis (this was the NB factory outlet in Lawrence, MA). I went (as an observer) to the Running Expo before the Boston Marathon and the Adidis guys were doing the computer analysis and I was told that I didn't pronate (over or under) and that I was a neutral runner. When I tried the 1223's on, they were very comfy so I went ahead (mainly because I like a lot of padding and they felt like they had a lot more padding then the 1061 - which was the reason I went ahead). Now I have run two times in them (Sunday 3 miles and Today 3 miles) and they felt good (but thats only 6 miles)... The last couple of pairs of shoes that I have had were Asic's 2130. I havent had a pair of NB in a lot of years, but a number of years ago I was running between 30 and 40 miles per week and I alway had NB and I really liked them, so I wanted to go back to them. Now - Im not sure if I should have bought them.........

Well, John, they're actually pretty close in support to the 2130's (useful reference). If those worked for you, these are probably OK. Some people who are neutral do seem to be able to handle a wide range of support without adverse affects. You may be one of them. Or you may not actually be neutral as you were told. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it too much, especially if they feel good. Just keep track of any leg discomfort you may feel that isn't accounted for from normal workout soreness.
              Brandon
                The shoe comparison chart makes me feel a little better...... I think they will be OK..I know that after 2 runs my legs feel good and Im ready for more - am trying to get up the the 25 mpw range again..........Appreciate the assist Noteye....JohnA

protoplasm72

I've been wearing the 1223's since they were the 1221's. I'm a flat footed over pronater though. The only thing I don't like about them is they are just about the heaviest shoe you can find. I've started wearing different lighter shoes in races. Otherwise they are great for the bulk of my training miles.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

As far as I know, all NB are heavy.....but what you give up in weight you gain in padding...so its a good trade off (least thats what I think)...