First Half Marathon..planning for full in Dec (Read 1177 times)

Just finished my first officially timed race - the San Francisco (first) Half Marathon. Happy with my time of 1:58:22. Any suggestions on how to move from half to full by December (California International Marathon) would be welcome.
      Just finished my first officially timed race - the San Francisco (first) Half Marathon. Happy with my time of 1:58:22. Any suggestions on how to move from half to full by December (California International Marathon) would be welcome.
      That's one helluva job for a first officially timed race, congratulations! There are TONS of training plans/schedules out there, but I'm just training for my first in November so I'll let others with much more experience share their favorites. Keep up the great work, I must say I'm more than a little jealous. In December I'll be hunkered down, packing on my "winter pounds".

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Great job on an awesome HM! Check out Hal Higdon's training programs --- those are pretty popular. Or --- just google "marathon training" and check out different training schedules. The most important part, IMO, is the long run.... and most of the programs are similar in that respect.
        2009: BQ?

madness baby

That's great! No advice here, but I'm sure others will have some. Congrats on your first race!
          deb
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, under 2 hours for your first is great! You're gonna do awesomely (is that a word?) on your first full! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great job! A friend of mine, her husband, and I are all going to be running the CIM as well! If I were you, I'd just continue with what you've been doing. Train the way that you've been training, since it obviously works for you. Add 10% per week and try not to make any time goals for the race. Good luck!
              "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                Great time! Do you get to run over the Golden Gate? Here's what I would think would be a cool marathon... (never going to happen though)

Vim

Congrats on the successful 13.1! FWIW... I think Runners World has a lot of good info http://runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-244-255-0,00.html The marathon guide website is, also, very good http://www.marathonguide.com/training/index.cfm Good luck!
                    Y'know, Modal, I actually laughed when I saw that map. In that, "there's now effin way THAT will ever happen!" way. Big grin It would be an awesome race, though. But can you imagine what it would take to pull that off? Shocked
                    "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                      Congratulations on your first HM. I wasn't it amazing? When I crossed the finish line for my first HM this past April I was in a daze, in shock that I did it, and in awe of all the smiling finishers gathered around the finish line!

Michelle

Great time! Do you get to run over the Golden Gate? Here's what I would think would be a cool marathon... (never going to happen though)
                        Living in Oakland, I had the very same thought within hours of finishing the race. Perhaps with the new Bay Bridge and it's proposed bike lane (see below - facing Oakland) will make it possible, sometime around 2012! Start training now!

Dog-Love

That picture makes me want to live in the Bay area again! I grew up wo a car in SF and longed for the days when you could ride a bike to the east bay. YEA!!! If you can bike then you definitely can run.
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                            Checking back in, four months later. I said I was going to run a full marathon and I DID! Completed the California International Marathon in Sacramento, CA. Finished in 4:20:04. Positive experience. Learned a lot. Just signed up for Napa Valley Marathon on March 2nd. Guess I'm hooked since I committed to the next one before the soreness has worn off...
                              very nice! congrats!!
                                Excellent job on your first full! Big grin I'm still looking to run my first full some day. I did not know they were constructing a new Bay Bridge. Bridges are awesome works of engineering. 84 Bridge that connects Palo Alto to Newark would not be on my list of bridges I'd want to run across. There is just a smell in the air there that isn't too pleasing!

Vim