My shoes aren't doing it for me anymore. Help! (Read 805 times)

The young Mama Bear!

I ran 5 miles today and my toes are so freakin' angry with me. My ankles also get reeaaalllyyyy tight after my runs. I try to "loosen" them up but it doesn't really work. This has never really happened to me, so I'm blaming the shoes. I tend to be neutral/underpronate with my left foot and I mildly pronate with my right. (I wear the Kayano 14, btw.) Questions: 1) Should I buy shoes based on my underpronating left foot or my mildly overpronating right foot? 2) I'm on the hunt for a new shoe that doesn't kill my knees if I run more than 3 miles. I'm a new runner and don't have particularly high mileage. Any good reviews on shoes? I'm a "heavy" runner and give my shoes beatings. Money isn't necessarily an issue so long as my toes aren't angry with me anymore. Thanks! Smile
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
    sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Questions: 1) Should I buy shoes based on my underpronating left foot or my mildly overpronating right foot? 2) I'm on the hunt for a new shoe that doesn't kill my knees if I run more than 3 miles. I'm a new runner and don't have particularly high mileage. Any good reviews on shoes? I'm a "heavy" runner and give my shoes beatings. Money isn't necessarily an issue so long as my toes aren't angry with me anymore.
      I'm no expert but I would have thought that the Kayano's were a decent choice for you. But finding the right shoe can be hit or miss sometimes. I would suggest finding a running store that has a return policy. I know there are several Road Runner Sports stores in New Jersey (but I don't know how close that is to you). They will evaluate you and attempt to put you in the right shoe. But if it doesn't work out, you can return the shoes within 60 days for a different pair (but only once). Usually I can tell within 20-30 miles if a new shoe is going to work or not. The other thought I had is that maybe you just need to build up mileage a little slower? If your knees start hurting at 3 miles, stop running after 3 miles. Then try 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, etc., and keep running each distance until you are perfectly comfortable with it and experience no pain before increasing.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

#artbydmcbride

It sounds like your feet are swelling a bit more than usual. Is it hot there right now? Soak your feet and ankles in cold water after you run, and see if that helps.

Runners run

for what little its worth, I have had similar issues with my shoes and then a few days later its ok... SO my question is -- is this something that is happening EVERY TIME or did it just happen once and you got freaked out (like I did when it happened to me)???

Champions are made when no one is watching

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I'm no expert, but are you buying the right size? My running shoes are a larger size than the rest of my shoes.

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, everyone. Smile No, my shoes are about a full size larger than what I'd usually wear. I usually wear a 10.5 dress shoe and they did not have an 11 in stock, so they jumped up to a 12. I had an unfortunate run-in with a size 10 running shoe and I am still trying to grow out that toenail, haha. No swelling, either....thank the lord. Sdewan, I actually got my shoes from RRS! I love it, I just guess I need to get assessed again. This is the first time my toes have gotten rubbed the wrong way. My left shoe's cushioning is almost fully compressed on the outer forefoot. When I get tired during my runs, my foot tends to underpronate even more and I rely on my left foot for that extra "kick", even though I don't have much knee action going on there.
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                The Kayano is a stability shoe, so unless you're truly overpronating a bit, that can be an issue. Stand with your toes straight ahead, and look in the mirror. If your knees are pointed in, that's another clue that you're an overpronator (or not). Based on what you've said, though, I'd go with a more neutral shoe first, like the Asics Nimbus. If this works, good. If not, go further up the ladder to a motion control shoe.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

JOHNMAGGIO

Motion Control New Balance 1011 or New Balance 1123. Here is why. Wide Forefoot, Deep Toe box. Made specifically for a "heavy" runner. They do have motion control features, but in this instance it can help with both over pronating and under pronating. As far as New Balance is concerned they just dont make very many Neutral Shoes for "heavy" runners. If you say your knees are hurting then these two shoes would help. If I had to pick one over the other, I would pick the 1123. Link to 1123 http://www.nbannapolis.com/new_balance/womens-br-new-balance-1123-br-motion-control-p-3.html?zenid=fc2a74f3614bd309cc9978b661882065 Link to 1011 http://www.nbannapolis.com/new_balance/womens-br-new-balance-1011-br-motion-control-p-391.html?zenid=fc2a74f3614bd309cc9978b661882065
                  www.nbannapolis.com

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks. Big grin