Running Faster (Read 385 times)

This is great in theory if you have the discipline to stick to it.  It seems like most people start pushing the pace too soon, even if they know better.  If the temptation to do that gets too strong, try to limit yourself to one "fast" run per week.  Good luck and have fun!

One way to satisfy the desire to push the pace, w/out jumping into the mentality of doing lots of speed work, is to incorporate 15 to 30s pickups into a few runs each week (run easy for 1 to 2 minutes after each one). It's essentially doing strides as part of your run, rather than afterwards.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks everyone! I have been running for a few months. I can go about 4 miles before I putter out, but I am running at a 13:30 min/mile pace. After reading through your suggestions, I think I will build my running capacity and have a good foundation before building speed.

Keep plugging away at it.  As you lose weight and gain fitness you will be able to run further….then, naturally, you will find yourself running faster at the same effort.

Taking off the weight while keeping the pace easy will also reduce the chances of injury.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

One way to satisfy the desire to push the pace, w/out jumping into the mentality of doing lots of speed work, is to incorporate 15 to 30s pickups into a few runs each week (run easy for 1 to 2 minutes after each one). It's essentially doing strides as part of your run, rather than afterwards.

Yeah, this is an awesome technique to help with leg turnover and breaks up a run and adds variety to a run mixing up that sometimes boring run when you are out there running same pace the whole run. Take as long as you need between each strider and don't go all out. Think of a speed between 5k effort to 800m pace. Faster pace to fast pace but always controlled and focused on good running form.

These striders also break up monotony if on a treadmill. In addition, these striders/short intervals add a burst to your metabolism or post run "afterburn" and you recover just fine as they are short bursts and don't beat up the body. Even 4 of these during a run are effective.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

RunSplendidly

Dropping weight means dropping pace, too. They say 2 seconds per mile for every excess pound you've got on you. I've found that to be pretty accurate for myself. If you just keep plugging away with those long slow runs and focus on losing weight by cleaning up your diet the pace will keep dropping for a long time without any speedwork.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, this is an awesome technique to help with leg turnover and breaks up a run and adds variety to a run mixing up that sometimes boring run when you are out there running same pace the whole run. Take as long as you need between each strider and don't go all out. Think of a speed between 5k effort to 800m pace. Faster pace to fast pace but always controlled and focused on good running form.

These striders also break up monotony if on a treadmill. In addition, these striders/short intervals add a burst to your metabolism or post run "afterburn" and you recover just fine as they are short bursts and don't beat up the body. Even 4 of these during a run are effective.

Yes, and I find that my easy pace usually picks up significantly in the same run, after doing strides. I don't think I get anywhere near 5K pace when I do them, however.  Maybe I should.

rrr0005

Thanks notScott, I hope not to push it too much because I am so afraid for getting myself hurt.

Megan29

Link spam

My betters once said, "to run faster, you must run faster."  You can run faster for a shorter distance.  To run more faster, run more, faster.  Longer intervals, more intervals.  To run faster longer, run faster longer. To just run longer, run more, and longer.

The secrets are all the same as they ever were.  Run a bunch of easy miles, run some hills, run a small percentage faster, and run some long.  Every plan out there is (or should be) a variation on those themes.

Of course, losing weight helps too.

BimBamBooh

You have to run, the mor you run - the better you get. Simple ? you have to have there kind of workouts:

• uphills
                    • recovery runs
                    • easy long runs
                    • sprint runs
                    • medium tempo
                    • core training
                    • massage
                    • nutrition

if you do all these workouts, then just a question off time when you get faster