Books on Tape SUCK!!!!! (Read 859 times)

jeffdonahue

So I had an 18 miler yesterday in my quest to do another marathon (after a 3 year hiatus). I did an 18 miler about 3 weeks ago and it went great. I felt good all the way though and even picked up the pace a notch or two for the last 7 miles. This one - not so much. I decided (for some stupid reason) that I would try listening to a book on tape while I ran it. I figured I am going to be out there for about 2 and a half hours, so might as well be doing something productive. So I jumped on itunes and downloaded "The Gingerbread Girl" by Stephen King. It said it was about a woman who used running to help cope with the problems in her life, so hey it's running related. I usually listen to music, and never really realized how much the music helped motivate me and keep me going. The montonous droning on of the book (which BTW was actually a pretty good story) just seemed to hurt my running for some reason. The run was miserable. My legs got stiff about half-way through and stayed that way. Even though ti was 5:00 AM it was still 75 degrees with 80% humidity so breathing was tough and I was completely drenched in sweat by 3 miles. The book ended around mile 15 and I switched over to music. Within two miles I felt my running stride start to come back a little and may have even gone sub-8:00 for the last mile. So I think I'll stick to music and actually READING books instead. In retrospect it was stupid because I now recall trying this before with a long run and that run was miserable as well. I just never attributed it to what I was listening to. Just venting a bit. Jeff
      I've tried listening to podcasts while running, and I also tried the book thing once as well. Dead I agree that there's someone about the spoken word that seems to sap my motivation. I'd rather listen to cheesy top-40 pop music than try that again.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I find fiction especially hard to listen to when it's very detailed or has a bunch of characters and elements. One complaint I have heard is that books on tape are slow.... well you can speed them up depending on the format... or do some post processing on the files before loading them on a player. On my runs, I stick to longer podcasts (30-90 minutes) and non-fiction books.

Vim

Also by Stephen King http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Walk <--listed on="" the="" wiki="" ultramarathon="" page="" :d=""></--listed>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Running_Man

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I prefer to get mine in digital form.. I don't even own a working tape player anymore.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I tried -- but gave up on -- The DaVinci Code on my iPod while doing a long run. I just couldn't stand the middle-aged male narrator acting the part of Sophie, who's supposed to be young, French and female. That said, anyone want DaVinci Code on CDs?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

I tried the audio book thing last month. I started with a fiction book and then wanted to move on to the possiblity of learning a new language. I thought the same thing about being out for 2 hours, I might as well do something productive. So I went to Itunes and downloaded a book. The book ended up being so good! I found out that I slowed down by at least a minute!! I'm already a slow enough runner!! I even found myself walking a few times without even realizing it. I got so sucked into the book I wasn't concentrating on running anymore. If anyone was thinking of trying an audio book while running, don't even bother, stick with music!
                JakeKnight

Also by Stephen King http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Walk
                  Once you've read it, it's impossible to run a marathon (or more) distance and not start thinking about The Long Walk.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

I don't listen to music or podcasts/audio books/teleseminars when I'm running, so I can't say how they are for running. I much prefer listening to the audio books and recorded teleseminars and the occasional podcast over my car stereo when I'm driving, though. That works out a lot better for me than listening to music. Sometimes I'll listen to sports talk radio, but most of the guys on there get on my nerves.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Double IPA Please!

Once you've read it, it's impossible to run a marathon (or more) distance and not start thinking about The Long Walk.
                      This was by far one of the better reads I've read by SK in awhile..Im trying to plod my way through Blaze right now and finding it hard to get into.. I read The Long Walk a few years back on a trip to Mexico with the Mr. and could hardly put it down.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

protoplasm72

I figured I am going to be out there for about 2 and a half hours, so might as well be doing something productive.
                        I have the exact opposite feeling when I'm reading. It feels like I'm wasting time that I could be working out with. I've never felt unproductive while working out.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I once ran while listening to a podcast on cardiovascular meds. When the speaker was 'walking through' a review of the physiology and function of the heart, I found it kinda cool. Got into listening to the lecture and just got into a groove. I have a tendency to fret about my gait, posture, foot strike, cadence, people passing me, speed and all sorts of nonsense while I'm running. Blush All I can remember of the lecture, though is bisoprolol is a beta blocker that is purportedly better for use in congestive heart failure patients with asthmatic conditions although this is based on theory and is not necessarily clinically significant. Yes

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Try learning a language. The Pimsleur (sp?) tapes are first-rate. You could learn Chinese in 3 long runs! Big grin
                            veganmom

oh i LOVE the long walk, what an excellent story! hey, if i knew i was going to get shot if i slowed down 3 times, at least my times would speed up! i had the same experience with books on tape. i LOVE to read and even love books on tape but i finally realized that i can zone out with music and just keep humming along and the books require too much mental attention to really appreciate what's going on.