Compression sleeves/socks - when to use? (Read 146 times)

I am Theia

Hello!  This is my first post here, although I've been using the training log for many years.

Does anyone use compression socks or sleeves for marathon training?  If so, do you use them during your long run or afterward (or both, I guess)?  I'm wondering if there's an advantage to using them one way versus the other.   I bought and wore the socks a few weeks ago after my 18-miler, and my calves definitely did not feel as beat up as I expected them to.  I may buy a pair of the sleeves to wear during my 20 this weekend, so I'd love thoughts and advice.  Many thanks.

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

I believe compression is a personal choice. I think the clinical research is mixed. I've use them for both running and recovery. During running I've use the compression sleeve over my calf, but I didn't really notice much difference. I've also used the compression shorts -- these I like during my interval days when I sweat a lot or on rainy days. Normal running shorts will bunch into a ball between my legs. The compression shorts stay nice and smooth and let me get on with my workout without having to tug at my shorts all the time.

Now when it comes to recovery; however, I'm a real believer in compression. I use the full-length compression socks up to my knee as well as the full length tights from ankle to the waist. I usually wear this get-up (my wife calls me her Baryshnikov) after just my hardest workouts, like my interval days, or long run days. I'll where the tights for several hours. I'm also a believer in ice. I've purchased a set of neoprene knee wraps and Achilles tendon wraps that have the gel inserts. The inserts go into the freezer overnight and then slide in a pocket within the neoprene wraps. These I apply to my legs for 20 minutes after every run no matter if it's an easy 6 miler, an interval session or long run. Sometimes I'll do a 2nd ice wrap session later in the day. I'm 50+ years, and this regime has worked for me as I've gotten back to running this year after a long, long departure from the sport. Good luck!

DukeDB

I think it varies by individual and over time.  I wore them the past 3 years for long runs, workouts, and marathons ... but this summer left them off on a few hot long runs and my foot motion felt better.   Going to try racing without them this fall.

Scooterscott

Supplying a quick answer to get your sample size up and to add two short other concepts.

I'll agree with Blue Rocket that the real research doesn't prove much other than compression does have some benefits if worn during recovery.  I will use calf sleeves and socks occasionally after long runs or harder workouts.

• Since I travel for work I will wear compression socks or sleeves while doing long trips (plane or car), they seem to help while you are stuck sitting for hours
          • Compression  did help me survive a race while injured.  I used one sleeve on a pulled calf muscle during a race (Minor nagging injury became a bigger problem just before a marathon), did all the other stuff before (RICE) and KT tape/compression on that calf.  It actually felt pretty decent and even though it was slower pace than normal the calf held up pretty well.
          bhearn

Not much to add, except that compression socks don't do much for me while running. I wear them for recovery, especially on flights.

I am Theia

Thanks, all!  I read an article last night that said the research is mixed but it seems as though the best use is for recovery and/or travel.  I ended up wearing sleeves during my 20-miler on Sunday, and they didn't seem to help as much as I thought they would.  They certainly didn't hurt me, though.  Smile

Many thanks.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Blue Rocket - would you be willing to share what brand/model of achilles wrap with gel pad insert you use? I've looked online, but see only  this (which may be the one). --Thanks, Christine

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

Ch17, I use 2 of the knee wraps and 2 of the Achilles' tendon wraps from MendMeShop.com.  If you get the Achilles wraps ask for the "King Brand" model that has the longer Velcro wraps, especially if you have average or above average sized calf muscles. They have great customer service and delivery.

My son in law who is a young doctor and rugby player in England strongly recommends the compression+ice gear from 110playharder.com. They make various compression gear that also has various pockets to hold their travel friendly ice packs. I haven't tried it yet as my 2XU tights, socks and the above mentioned ice wraps are doing the job. However, I have had some delays at airport security when I have the gel packs in my carry on suitcase. The ice packs from 110playharder.com look more travel friendly, plus they can also be put in the microwave for a heat treatment. Good luck.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Blue Rocket - thanks! I will go check those out. --Christine

I am Theia

Thank you!

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Does anyone use compression socks or sleeves for marathon training?  If so, do you use them during your long run or afterward (or both, I guess)? .

Since I travel for work I will wear compression socks or sleeves while doing long trips (plane or car), they seem to help while you are stuck sitting for hours

Yep, I only use them after long runs when riding across the country in a sky bus to prevent gout attacks. I suppose they'd be good for clot prevention too.