unsportsmanlike conduct in cross country (Read 532 times)

GC100k

I just want to know what high school has a varsity team on which multiple guys are looking to break 15!

Some XC races are 4k.  Multiple sub 15 5k does seem out there.

Dream Maker

You didn't impede anyone.  You don't race all out if there's a more important one coming.  I don't get what's unsportsmanlike unless there is something not mentioned here (behavior toward the other team for example).  Given what's written here, and if there's truly nothing else, your parents should complain and the administration will probably back down.  Though, you should ask what specifically was done wrong.

Slo

My take is that your teams finish was seen as grandstanding by another school or parents of another school who complained.

Your school administration, not knowing all the details, over reacted.

Get used to it...I see this all the time (over reaction to partial information) everywhere I've ever worked and am guilty of it myself.

Suck it up, write the essay and move on...The take away here is even when your actions are innocent you need to be aware of how they may be preceived.

your parents should complain and the administration will probably back down. 

I'm not sure that having parents complain and 'fight' for their near adult child is great parenting skills.... It's only an essay!

To the OP, I'm not sure that having your parents state your argument for you and complain for you will help you in the future.

..I see this all the time (over reaction to partial information) everywhere I've ever worked and am guilty of it myself.

Suck it up, write the essay and move on...The take away here is even when your actions are innocent you need to be aware of how they may be preceived.

I agree with SloHand.  All of us only have partial information (including myself).

You're young (< 19 years old), and getting 'go fight for yourself' advice from middle aged know-it-alls like us may not be the best advice for you considering that we don't really know it all.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I just want to know what high school has a varsity team on which multiple guys are looking to break 15!

Here in Illinois, there are a couple.  This weekend, at my sons' conference race, the winning team had two runners under 15 (for 3 miles), and their 5th runner was 15:06.  It was not an easy or fast course.  Amazing to have your top 5 that close, and all so good. They'll likely be 3rd or 4th in state.  Of course, York will probably win again.

I would take it like a man, write my essay, and move on.

But what would you say?  If anything, it seems like they tried to bring out the team aspect of CC more so than finishing in a line.

Yes, it's not good if you impeed someone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

But what would you say?

It is important to show respect for our competition. I can see now how finishing all in a line could be perceived as taunting or showmanship and for that I am sorry. While it was never our intention to disrespect our fellow competitors, we need to be more aware of how our actions could be perceived by others and to always make sure we represent the values of our school and our community ...

This really isn't rocket science.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

It is important to show respect for our competition. I can see now how finishing all in a line could be perceived as taunting or showmanship and for that I am sorry. While it was never our intention to disrespect our fellow competitors, we need to be more aware of how our actions could be perceived by others and to always make sure we represent the values of our school and our community ...

This really isn't rocket science.

Well said!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It is important to show respect for [insert hypersensitive party]. I can see now how [whatever you did] could be perceived as [emotional response] and for that I am sorry. While it was never our intention to disrespect [hypersenitive party's granfalloon], [I] need to be more aware of how our actions could be perceived by others and to always make sure we represent the values of [insert company name, or university, or whatever group you don't want to be kicked out of]  ...

Might as well make it an ad-lib; you'll need it later in life.  *sigh*

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

GC100k

(for 3 miles),

Didn't realize some places ran 3 miles.  Thought it was all 5k but I did notice a couple meet results for 4k races.

Total overreaction.  This "everybody wins, we can't offend anyone" culture that is present with handling everything with kids today drives me nuts.  I did read some articles recently that this stupid mindset is starting to disappear with the very young set.  Thank god.  I have a 2 year old. I will teach him to see value in winning but not be a sore winner.

Nothing you explained or others noted in their posts demonstrates being a "sore winner."  As others pointed out you can't pound every dinky meet because you will burn out before the state championships.  That happened to us.  And we heard complaints that we were "too hard" on some of the bad teams because we'd finish our top 7 a minute or so before another school finished their first (this is 21 years ago now).  I read your example and thought it a nice display of team unity.

That's exactly what I'd put into this essay because I'm a smart ass.  "The fact that we are being asked to write this essay demonstrates your lack of understanding of team unity.  Our actions at the last meet are not indicative of poor sportsmanship and nothing we did affected the performances of the other team in any way.  We were looking to finish together since we also train together; working to produce a championship trophy for your school's trophy case.  We wish that you had asked us the intent of our actions before assuming our intent was to disrespect the competition.  Hopefully this silly exercise does not ruin what has been a very rewarding experience for us this season."

When we apologize at work for something that's not our fault or beyond our control just to shut the complainer up, we call it a "blameless apology."  I guess you're being forced to learn early.  Good luck at the championships.

xhristopher

Our Varsity team decided 

Did your coaches offer any race strategy at all?

a pace that was "enough to win" (as we phrased it) the race. 

I bet this would have been fine if everyone ran 80-90% and casually took the win but ...

we finished in a wall formation (in a horizontal line) sort of at the same time.

This wasn't really doing "enough to win" was it? It was something else. It's this something else that's causing you problems, not running slowly.

Take your minor lumps and move on. It's not like the administration is forbidding you from running on the roads or you are being not allowed to compete for going to pick up an intoxicated teammate who needs a ride home.

TripleBock

I would be pretty upset is I was able to pass near the finish, but the wall was in my way ... Usually when a team runs together they run in a pack, not a wall.

OP has not responded - So I do not have enough info ... but I agree with xhristopher ... you may be blameless or partially at fault, but life is about picking your battles.  Sometimes "The Man" sticks it to you.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Feeling the growl again

I would be pretty upset is I was able to pass near the finish, but the wall was in my way ... Usually when a team runs together they run in a pack, not a wall.

OP has not responded - So I do not have enough info ... but I agree with xhristopher ... you may be blameless or partially at fault, but life is about picking your battles.  Sometimes "The Man" sticks it to you.

Pretty much.  We'd need clarification on if it was just finishing together, or there was/was allegations of some sort of additional showboating going on as well.

Some people have said "take it like a man", shut up, and write the essay.  Others have said fight it.  It really comes down to how important the battle is to you.  "Being a man" isn't just letting yourself be steamrolled if you've really been wrong.  Sometimes it's standing up for your principles even when there is a price to pay for it.  But you don't want to die on a molehill either.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

i got the mental image of a red rover game in my head where someone was trying to break through the linked arms Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas