unsportsmanlike conduct in cross country (Read 532 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nancy Grace is an incompetent harpy.

Isn't she pretty good at being a harpy?

Ostrich runner

Isn't she pretty good at being a harpy?

I can make this concession.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Nancy Grace is an incompetent harpy.

I'm pretty sure you've offended the harpies.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Julia1971

Can we end the whole Nancy Grace/harpy line of "discussion"?  The OP purports to be in high school and is dealing with what is essentially a judgement issue.  Let's set a better example.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Can we end the whole Nancy Grace/harpy line of "discussion"?  The OP purports to be in high school and is dealing with what is essentially a judgement issue.  Let's set a better example.

Admittedly a bit off-topic, but otherwise I don't see anything naughty about discussing Greek mythological beings.

Julia1971

Admittedly a bit off-topic, but otherwise I don't see anything naughty about discussing Greek mythological beings.

That's not what you were doing.

Feeling the growl again

the OP was one and done, and got plenty of informative feedback.  the balance of the thread has been plenty tame compared to many others here.

we have a registering for races while drunk thread, and one about taking dumps while running.  Not to mention the personal insult laden ostrich threads.  let's be realistic here, taking a shot at an inflammatory tv personality is child play.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

the OP was one and done, and got plenty of informative feedback.  the balance of the thread has been plenty tame compared to many others here.

Yeah, I see those, too.  I admire my restraint in not hitting the "Reply" button as often as I do...  I don't want to be a killjoy but I also don't want to see RA turn into LetsRun or other message boards where this type of thing is rampant.  And, again, since the OP is in high school and may still be reading this thread even though his question was answered, I felt compelled to write that calling women harpies might lead to future essay writing (or worse).

Ostrich runner

I felt compelled to write that calling women harpies might lead to future essay writing (or worse).

Some of the best essays I wrote were while studying the Classics and mythology. Indeed, had I not learned about harpies at a young age, college might've been more difficult.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

so if the personality in question was a man, this would somehow be more acceptable?

Yeah, I see those, too.  I admire my restraint in not hitting the "Reply" button as often as I do...  I don't want to be a killjoy but I also don't want to see RA turn into LetsRun or other message boards where this type of thing is rampant.  And, again, since the OP is in high school and may still be reading this thread even though his question was answered, I felt compelled to write that calling women harpies might lead to future essay writing (or worse).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

so if the personality in question was a man, this would somehow be more acceptable?

If the personality in question were a man, nobody would be snarking on his looks ("halloween mask"). And I can't think of a parallel insult to "harpy" for men, no - being loud and opinionated is usually considered a good thing in a man.

Julia1971 can you spare me some restraint in hitting reply?? I seem to have misplaced mine.

Julia1971

I reserve my right to ask people to cut that out, too.

GC100k

What the?  How'd we get from cross country finishes to discussing tropical eagles?  Magnificent bird, btw.

Oh, I see,  Nancy Grace.  Not sure who that was, but google says she's a talking head.  Can she run either a 5k or a 3 mile in under 15 minutes?

If the personality in question were a man, nobody would be snarking on his looks ("halloween mask"). And I can't think of a parallel insult to "harpy" for men, no - being loud and opinionated is usually considered a good thing in a man.

Julia1971 can you spare me some restraint in hitting reply?? I seem to have misplaced mine.

Why is it sideways?

unsportsmanlike conduct in message board blathering

No more marathons

I felt compelled to write that calling women harpies might lead to future essay writing (or worse).

No one was calling "women" harpies.  It was directed at one particular individual - and while the original Greek mythological creature would not appear to apply in this case, the rather modern  interpretation of the term  to refer to a nasty or annoying woman would appear to be spot on in the opinion of at least a few on these  boards.  And I seriously doubt that the word harpy will be the worst verbiage that the young OP will be exposed to today.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!