Races in New Jersey the First Week of June (Read 85 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'll be in Redbank, NJ for June 4th and have the option of being there the weekend before or the weekend after and was wondering if there are any good races nearby around that time. I'm looking for something 10K or shorter and would just be running it for fun.

I did see there is a NJ Trail Series race on June 1 at the Watchung Reservation. Is that one of Hasher Rick's races?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Screw racing.  How much beer can you smuggle back???

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Screw racing.  How much beer can you smuggle back???

I'll be taking the Highlander. Should be plenty of room for beer.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Then carry on.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

lagwagon

Yeah, that Spring trail series is Rick's, and his races are always a good time.  Maybe I'll also do that race if i'm around (its close to home for me) .  Not the kind of course you can run for time, but its well varied and fun, and definitely worth the trip up.

Best race calendar is metro race forum, but there's also the USATF-NJ calendar

None of the other races those weekends look compelling to me, but let me know if you have other questions ( including where to find the better beer shops in the area...)

Strict WTF adherent

I don't know a damn thing about racing, but for beer, swing by Kane or Carton. Not far from Red Bank either way.

Prince of Fatness

You should stop by my place so we save on shipping costs.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Since you will be down near the shore this may help.

http://www.jsrc.org/webpages/races.htm

I can also vouch for Hasher Rick's races if you want to go that route.

Not at it at all. 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Hasher Rick's race would be "cooler friendly" for sure.

**Ask me about streaking**

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Recommendations on where to find good beer are awesome. Thanks!

It looks like the trail race may be a good choice. They have a 10K option which would be perfect and I could then drink beer and watch the longer races finish. Once I finalize plans I'll check back in and see if anyone wants to meet up.

Finn, we'll definitely have to make that happen. Looks like you're about 90 minutes or so away from the area I'll be staying.

On On

Yes it is a NJ Trail Series race which many have already stated.  Yes it is cooler friendly as are all NJ Trail Series races.

The course is a 10K and depending on your comfort running trails you can do it probably about 30% slower than a fast road course.

I am there all day and enjoying meeting people from here in real life.  Let's share a beer.

I also recommend doing Kane or Carton.  The wife and I stopped by Carton Brewery at the end of last summer.  Cool living room feel to their tasting room.  Comfy couches to sit on with coffee tables littered with beer periodicals.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I've registered for the 10K NJ Trail Series race on June 1 at the Watchung Reservation. Let me know if you'll be there and we can share a beer.

I've got Kane and Carton on my list of places to visit. If anyone can suggest good beer stores in or near any of the following towns it would be much appreciated. Bordentown, Eat Windsor, Middletown, Red Bank.

Thanks!

Prince of Fatness

I've got Kane and Carton on my list of places to visit. If anyone can suggest good beer stores in or near any of the following towns it would be much appreciated. Bordentown, Eat Windsor, Middletown, Red Bank.

http://www.jcanals.com/

Have not been there because there are other good places closer to me, but I have heard that selection is good.  There are several locations giving you some options.

Also if you are looking for breweries these would be options from Bordentown.  Flying Fish is about a half hour south and River Horse about a half hour to the north.

Not at it at all. 

lagwagon

not far from Watchung is Climax Brewing Co in Roselle Park NJ.  Its small time but makes a pretty decent nut brown ale and the ESB is pretty good too.

They used to make a really nice brown cask ale which you could get at a local pub or two, but I havent seen it in a while.    I've never been inside the brewery and suspect its not worth a special trip, but since you seem to be an enthusiast I thought I'd pass it along.

If I make it to the June Trail Series race maybe I'll bring a growler of the brown.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thanks Lag. I do like a good nut brown ale. I'll have to check that out.

I'm going to try and bring a growler of something from one of the local Indy breweries. Hope to see you there.