Add Grade to Elevation Profile (Read 118 times)

Could you add percentage grade to the Elevation Profile on the course pages?  Right now, when you drag the mouse, it shows distance and elevation.  I've wondered for awhile whether this could be added, and I just saw the Strava website where the Elevation Profile is just like RA, except that they also show Grade.

Thanks for a great website, Eric!

Rick

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

That would be great for scoping out race courses and trying to find similar hills to train on.

Does it show average grade for the whole course? Average grade for individual climbs? Actual grade in real time as you drag the mouse along the elevation profile? Is it actually doing trigonometry or is it estimated?

Just curious. I spent a whole long run recently discussing grade with a high school math teacher. It was enlightening. It turns out the poor mans calculation that I usually do to calculate average grade for my hill workouts is pretty close--which is good enough for training purposes.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

It turns out the poor mans calculation that I usually do to calculate average grade for my hill workouts is pretty close--which is good enough for training purposes.

Care to share?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

rise / run in feet.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

OK, well that's not a poor man's calculation, that's the definition.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

That's what I thought.

Runners run

eric :)

I'm planning to add additional metrics to the workout editor page, including elevation.  I didn't add it to the current editor because new users are intimidated by the number of fields.  Some of them thought they are all required and ended up going to some other training log site.

I've got the basics of the new workout editor completed.  It allows me to add new fields while keeping the page simple at the same time.  It's pretty darn cool if I must say.  As I was redoing the page, I realized I had forgotten how complex the page is.  The new version is even more complex with more moving parts so it'll take a while for me to complete.  Long story short, it's in the works.

Thanks, Eric, that sounds great.  What I was thinking of when I asked the question wasn't anything that the user enters, but something that shows the actual percent grade in real time as you drag the mouse along the elevation profile.  But something like what you're talking about adding sounds very cool, too.