Training for my fourth marathon (Read 777 times)

So I've run 3 marathons in 4 years and I'm looking to crack that 3:40:00 barrier in Chicago this year. Last year I was hoping to do it but got that lovely hot as hades day - not in Chicago - but Steamtown (no one told me the steam was includedWink). Anyway, I was wondering what program would be suggested for a more experienced runner? In the past I think I haven't run to my full potential because I just don't know what I can do. I think I probably can speed up my runs during the week. Any help would be appreciated! Also, I'm considering RTB with my running club but it falls 4 weeks before the marathon. I'm not certain that's a wise idea knowing how sore I was the first time I did itWink
      I don't have advice about which plan to use, since I've only run one marathon so far. However, last year my girlfriend did the second longest portion of RTB 3 weeks before running her first marathon. We were short a person on the team, so she actually had to do 4 legs of the thing. Anyway, she just considered the whole thing a long run, started her taper immediately after and ran just fine in her marathon. I did the longest portion, also 4 legs, and PR'd in the half marathon. We'll both be doing RTB this year before heading out to Chicago for the marathon ourselves... maybe we'll see you in both places. What team were you in RTB 2007? We were F.O.E. (Friends Of Ed).

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Just glancing quickly at your log/race times, I would imagine you'd have no problem breaking 3:40 if all you did was to bump up your mileage during your next marathon buildup. I noticed you topped out at one 45 mile week. Try topping at 50-55 and work in at least 3-5 50+ weeks during your training. And if you throw in at least one moderately paced run per week (or tempo run), you'll reap even more speed. Good luck!

mikeymike

What Tanya said. It's not so much you need a program to follow, you just need more miles. If you can string together a few months of 180-200 miles per month, you'll break 3:40 with ease.

Runners run

I've only run one marathon (horribly executed, I might add), but the single greatest improvement in my running this year has been adding lots and lots of miles. Not having much of an idea how to go about creating a decent plan I used Peter Pfitzinger's 18 week, 55 mile plan and modified it accordingly. It has made all the difference. Oh, and running at least 5 days/week. Sometimes as much as 6 times/week. Easy days easy, hard days hard. Race once in a while at shorter distances to guage your fitness level. Good luck.
            runninginmemphis

If you're someone who likes to follow a training plan (as I like to do) I highly recommend Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book. It's filled with lots of information and several training plans of varying lengths (18 and 24 weeks seem to be the ones I hear referred to most often) with various weekly mileage (55 miles per week or less, 70 miles per week or less, more than 70 miles per week). Also included are training schedules for multiple marathons based on the number of weeks in between the two marathons. Even if you don't follow one of the training plans exactly, I think it's a great reference book and use mine often. Good luck! Smile Laura
              Laura
              JakeKnight

Just glancing quickly at your log/race times, I would imagine you'd have no problem breaking 3:40 if all you did was to bump up your mileage during your next marathon buildup. I noticed you topped out at one 45 mile week. Try topping at 50-55 and work in at least 3-5 50+ weeks during your training.
                What she said. No plan replaces miles.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

No plan replaces miles.
                  True. Even stupid miles.

JakeKnight

True. Even stupid miles.
                    Don't mock stupid miles. Stupid miles may help you in your unlikely quest to win free beer.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Thanks for your input. I agree about mileage. I was a little weary last year because I injured myself pretty badly the year before. I'm looking to add mileage this year and hopefully shoot for 3:35 to give a little buffer space.
                        ACK. "Speed up my runs during the week"? My 2 cents is the exact opposite. Let me see, you're racing 5ks in the 7:30-minute range. You raced a half-mary in the mid 8-minute range. BUT your "easy" runs are generally sub 9-minute miles? I'm a proponent of making the easy days easy days. Truly. Decreases the risk of injury (been there), builds lots of good stuff, and conserves energy for harder days. If I were in your shoes, I would slow down on my easy days to, at least 9:30 or more. Enjoy the Spring. Think how much longer you would have had to ogle Budapest. I would also (a) include at least two runs per week of 90 minutes or more. Who cares how far you go? and (b) include some form of a tempo run each week at a reasonable pace. Is that a program? I don't know, I just think it's sensible. If you want to use Pfitz, be aware that it's pretty intense and the daily mileage suggestions are designed for someone faster than you or me. I used the 55 mpw plan as a guide, but ran by effort and time rather than distance. Just my 2 cents and, honestly, it doesn't buy much these days. The only thing I'm sure of is that you can crack 3:40 with consistency, common sense, and dedication.
                          If you're someone who likes to follow a training plan (as I like to do) I highly recommend Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book. It's filled with lots of information and several training plans of varying lengths (18 and 24 weeks seem to be the ones I hear referred to most often) with various weekly mileage (55 miles per week or less, 70 miles per week or less, more than 70 miles per week). Also included are training schedules for multiple marathons based on the number of weeks in between the two marathons. Even if you don't follow one of the training plans exactly, I think it's a great reference book and use mine often. Good luck! Smile Laura
                          Ditto to what Laura said! That book is worth its weight in GOLD!!!!!!!!! I bought it right after completing my first marathon. I won't be able to follow the schedule to a T but I am going to take it and modify it to work for my life. I think that is the big key when looking at training programs. A lot of people that I meet don't realize that these programs are a guide and are not set in stone. If you're not sure what to follow, read several books, look at several programs, see which one you like the most and then modify it to fit your life. Marathoning is fun. Good luck!
                          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                          JimR

Run to your full potential? Well, quit your job and take something part time only, hire a full time coach, live..eat...sleep running, develop a plan that covers the next 5-10 years, and maybe then you'll get close. Otherwise, target something a year from now, build mileage using a cyclic approach of build/cutback and periods of quality. Forget published plans/schedules, but instead get yourself (eventually) used to 15-18 mile weekend long runs and at least one solid midweek midlong, don't be shy of doing doubles (build up to them and keep that second run easy), then take on marathon-specific training that last 10-12 weeks before your target.
                              Run to your full potential? Well, quit your job and take something part time only, hire a full time coach, live..eat...sleep running, develop a plan that covers the next 5-10 years, and maybe then you'll get close.
                              LOL, wrong terminology. More of run smarter I supposeSmile Looks like there's some homework for me to do.
                              JimR

LOL, wrong terminology. More of run smarter I supposeSmile Looks like there's some homework for me to do.
                                Yeah, you're stuck with hacking it out like the rest of us Smile