How much to exert while building up? (Read 60 times)

jfdi

I am a 33 year old, fairly healthy (I think so!) male, and each time I run I get any of a multitude of running related injuries so I've always avoided it for other forms of exercise. I tend to do weight training.

I have finally realised the issue maybe that I don't build it up properly. So I figure a couch to 10k is good: https://www.runnersblueprint.com/couch-to-10k-training/

All the workouts I see talk about "run x minutes, walk x minutes" and go from there upto 60 minutes straight.

*****But what does that mean in level of exertion, distance, heart rate.... something that I can measure to both control my progress sensibly and also ensure I'm improving?*****

It seems strange that programs aiming to get you running 10k are measuring my runs by time and not distance. Cardio-respiratory wise I'm confident I could do a 60 minute run now, or do those first few weeks in sprints - but obviousy that isn't the point, so what should I be doing?!

FYI I'm not training for any event etc - so I have absolutely no time limit to work up to the 10k mark, it's just for myself.

Thank you

SMART Approach

The plan is reasonable and does talk about intensity. Based on your history, I would do exactly as plan says. Minutes vs miles is just fine.  Just think about running comfortably when asked to run. Monitor your HR throughout but don't be committed to a certain # because it will be very high early on. The only thing I would add starting month two would be about 10-15 sec striders/pick me ups before your walk breaks. This is not an all out sprint but just picking up pace to about 90% of max holding 5 - 10 sec and easing off gradually. Focus on great form and breathing during these striders. The rest of the plan is fine and on race day, give it your all. It would also be helpful to throw in a bike, or stair climber 1-2 x per week as well. Do intervals on those days if interested in some added intensity. After the 10K, rest a couple days and build off your training thus far and shoot for a new goal or faster time next time. It takes 6 months of runnng to be considered somewhat running fit and your body beinf ready to handle a beginner/intermediate trainng plan. You need more than 13 weeks.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jfdi

That's super helpful - thanks. Funnily enough, 13 weeks was the longest plan I found. I'll be aware of what you said re. 6 months before going for a proper plan.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With no racing planned, setting up and following a pattern that you can follow indefinitely rather than an x weeks plan would make more sense.  Determine how many days per week you are willing to run.  Most of your running, or run-walk, should be at an easy effort.  You should not be huffing and puffing.  If your legs get tired too quickly, walk more.   Every 2-3 weeks increase the time or distance run by 5-20%.  It may take a few iterations to determine what you can handle since there's a lot of individual variation.  Vary the distance a little from day to day so you aren't running the same thing each day.  One day should be designated as a "long" day.  How long depends on how many days a week you run, but should not exceed 40% of your total distance for the week.  The more days you run, the lower the percentage.  When you reach a level that maxes where you want to be, obviously you can cease making the increases.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.