Working out race ranking? (Read 722 times)

Hey folks, could really use some help with math! I want some way to rank my performance in each race based on race position rather than time or distance. I like to beat as many people as i can! Obviously the field size or each race varies, being 23rd out of 200 is not bad, being 23rd out of 24 is not so good! I was thinking about some sort of percentage or rating... Any ideas? Undecided I am sure someone out there already figured this out? mjh

You'll ruin your knees!

I have traditionally looked at my relative position in the field (of starters, when possible). I know, for example, that if I have an average race, I am typically in the middle of the pack. If I manage a top quartile finish, I feel like I have done better than normal for me... I also use my placement to help guage my target finish time for upcoming races. I can look at historical results and easily know my range of expected finish times by looking at the mid-pack results, plus or minus... I think looking at percentile is a good measure. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think looking at percentile is a good measure.
        Yeah, I agree. The rank k at the pth percentile for n samples is defined as k=p(n+1)/100 If rank is known, solving for p you get p=100*k/(n+1) In our case, low rank is better so we want to subtract the percentile from 100 p = 100 - [100*k/(n+1)] So in your example of 23rd out of 200 runners p=100 - 100*23/(200+1) = 88.56th percentile. This means you were faster than 88.56% of the runners present. In your second example of 23 out of 24 runners p = 100-100*23/(24+1) = 8th percentile. You were faster than only 8% of the runners out there. Now I was using the true definition of percentile. This makes things needlessly complicated, but I'm a purist about these things. You could just say 23/200--> I finished in top 11.5%. But your time is still important. What if that small field of 24 runners was really good? Then getting 23rd there might be more impressive than getting 23rd out of a weaker field of 200. It's all relative.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Or you could just use the percentage which Eric's software already conveniently calculates for us when you enter the data in your log. Just sayin'.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Or you could just use the percentage which Eric's software already conveniently calculates for us when you enter the data in your log. Just sayin'.
            Wow, it's in the log? Cool. Guess I need to run a race so I can see this feature. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Go Pre!

Try this... Big grin
                Wow! Thanks jeffgoblue, thats just what i was looking for re
                p = 100-100*23/(24+1) = 8th percentile. or You could just say 23/200--> I finished in top 11.5%.
                So what is the difference between percentile and % ??? ? mjh

Go Green Wave!

Try this... Big grin
                  Thats the mathematical formula for creating life!! God will be upset at you! Shocked
                    So what is the difference between percentile and % ???
                    your percentile = percent of runners that you were faster than 100 - your percentile = percent of runners who were faster than you In other words, they're slightly different ways of expressing the same thing.

sean

Just input all of your race results (that they don't find themselves) into AthLinks (formerly virturace, which I think is a much better title) and then see who your rivals are. I don't worry so much about where I finish overall (well I do, but not when comparing races) since the competition can vary so much from race to race. Finishing 5th at the Mystic Places Marathon is great, but finishing in the 400s in New York City was much tougher. Well, it wasn't really, since I was in better shape, but you get the idea. Generally, I like to see how I compare against people that I race against often that are of similar abilities as me. I am generally in the top 1 or 2% of most of the races that I run, but at the level that I compete at I tend to be mediocre. Measuring myself against people that I have trouble beating is very motivating and ensures that I keep getting better.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)