I ran over a 5 year old... (Read 1583 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I ran down a 5-year old on his bicycle today. I felt terrible. Let me explain: It was supposed to be a progression run, but I screwed it up. In a strange and very painful way. Well, I had to pee. So just after the first mile I stop off to take care of business. Once complete, I see my running parnters up ahead approx. 400 meters or so and I figure if I hustle then I should catch 'em pretty quickly. I take off like a bat outta hell when I notice a father and his two small children riding bikes just in front of me. The little five year old is crossing the intersection. His dad is telling him to come back and wait, but the little 'un doesn't listen. Recall I am busting it as I catch up to this kid. I assume, stupidly, that he will continue straight on the sidewalk. He turned. Right. And right in front of me. I had no shot. I gave him the Heisman pose and knocked him off his bike, but he managed to take my leg out from under me and I careened off him and, wait for it... Hit a light pole. At basically full speed. This hurt. A LOT. Add that to the fact that I just toppled over a five year old kid from his bike and made him cry. I felt (still feel) like such an ass. The dad also was apologizing profusely, and kept asking me if I was ok. I guess the rolling around and muffled curses were a dead give away that all was not well w/the crazy runner guy. After a couple of minutes, I realized that 1) the kid was fine, just scared 2) I didn't break myself completely and 3) my running partners had no idea what had happened and were still moving away. One more quick check of child and dad, good good. And I was on my way. I ran my BUTT OFF to catch those goobers and met up w/them just in time to hit the third mile. Perfect. Ran like hell to catch up, just so I could help them speed up. I made it almost the entire scheduled run. I gassed out at 4.5 miles and had to saunter back the last half mile. By the time I got back to the office though, the adrenaline had worn off and I was (am) in some serious pain. My right arm took the worst of the pole collision and looks bad. Left knee is all skinned up, and my left thumb (no idea) is jammed too. In short, I'm a mess. And all I keep thinking about is how I ruined that poor kid's day. What an ass I am. SO what's the moral of the story? ALWAYS PISS before you run.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I treat children the same way I treat drivers. I go under the assumption that they are going to hit me no matter what. It makes it easier to anticipate and avoid this sort of thing. Glad that the kid didn't get hurt, and hope your arm recovers quickly.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Moral: that's what you get fer doggin' on Oberon. So...did anyone get it on video?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My legs are killing me

ALWAYS PISS before you run.
          Amen to that brother.

Think Whirled Peas

So...did anyone get it on video?
            Gawd I hope not, b/c somebody would win some coin for it. Seriously, you take my, ahem, girthiness and slam it full tilt into a large metal object and very funny bad things are the result. It literally brought me to a dead stop, from a 3/4 sprint effort. Dead. Stop. But hey, I finished the workout (nearly). That's gotta earn me some HTFU points, no?

Lisa3.1

Glad he's ok.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But hey, I finished the workout (nearly). That's gotta earn me some HTFU points, no?
                Yeah, that's probably worth a couple. I think I would have called it a day after that. I'd be one big hematoma.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

The bigger question is did the kid HTFU and get back to riding his bike? Glad no one was seriously hurt. Kids on bikes, roller bladers and those D$^*! skateborders just freak me out when I'm running. I always think one of them is going to torpedo me. So today you have stoke the flames of my fear a bit higher.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Think Whirled Peas

The bigger question is did the kid HTFU and get back to riding his bike? Glad no one was seriously hurt. Kids on bikes, roller bladers and those D$^*! skateborders just freak me out when I'm running. I always think one of them is going to torpedo me. So today you have stoke the flames of my fear a bit higher.
                    Fear not, Norm. This one was all on me. I'm an idiot. And yes, the kid rode home victorious having slain the mighty Q-beast. Poor little guy, man I feel like such a heel. BAH! Blush

C-R

Can you hear the conversation with his little friends on the playground. "There I was minding my own business trying to look cool and cruise the chick on my Schwinn when out of nowhere comes this runner........"

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Maniac

Gawd I hope not, b/c somebody would win some coin for it. Seriously, you take my, ahem, girthiness and slam it full tilt into a large metal object and very funny bad things are the result. It literally brought me to a dead stop, from a 3/4 sprint effort. Dead. Stop.
                        Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

JakeKnight

I ran down a 5-year old on his bicycle today.
                          Good job. They're awful quick little buggers, and it ain't easy hitting a moving target. 10 points. See if you can take out a couple teenage girls on their cell phones next time. A lot of points available in that category.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Another Passion

(In-between belly laughs) I really hope you're ok, Q. (Que more belly laughs) And, I'm glad you didn't permanently damage, other than psychologically, Evil Knievel Jr. on his bicycle. Big grin

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I just hope it wasn't Alan's son, the teeball incident was traumatic enough. Clowning around

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ohhh Mike, how funny. I'm really glad that the boy was alright, though, and hopefully you will be too. How are you feeling now? And what is it with peeing before you run? Why is it I can go 50 times before I leave, but once I step out the door, I have to go again. Roll eyes