headlamp help (Read 854 times)

Otium cum dignitate

I did a Forum search for info on a new head lamp and all I found was a recommendation for the Tikka XP which was described as being pretty bright, but pricey. I'm especially concerned about twisting an ankle in an unseen pot hole or the like and the Princeton Tek Aurora and the Tikka Plus I've used in the past just don't seem bright enough anymore (even on the highest settings and with new batteries). I'll fork out the cabbage for the XP if I have to, but I'd just as soon not; so: any suggestions?
    xor

Yes. Ditch the headlamp and go with a handheld. Google "Fenix Q5" for a few great ideas. See the concurrent "Running in the dark!" thread over in General Running for my reasoning. My handheld is way brighter than my headlamps and possesses lots of other goodness that keeps me out of holes and piles of horse poop. (I could link it, but I'm lazy)

I use a 5 LED headlamp I got at Harbor Freight for $5. Works great and puts out alot of light. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
          I use the Princeton Tec Fuel head lamp (http://www.rei.com/product/760307). It is small, comfortable, bright and fairly inexpensive.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I got a cheap LL Bean branded petzl headlamp that works great.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A handheld would be my choice, no worrying about wether it is tight enough, no sweaty headband at the end of the run, Can point it in the direction I want to (especially when running trails), and generally a lot cheaper. Plus you'll look a lot less like a lit christmas tree, since I also wear a blinky light on my arm

Otium cum dignitate

I may try a hand held (though I've never been bothered by a head lamp) and will certainly check out LL Bean. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Running Dad

Rayovac, Walmart, 12$ I think. 3 settings, including white and red led. Puts out more than enough light to avoid anything.
                  Things to do this year:
                  Not get an injury
                  Things done this year:
                  Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                  invisible

I use the Tikka XP. It gets a lot of non running use, as well.
                    90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                      I've sold hundreds of headlamps(it's a regular xmass gift top ten) ,if you want a good beam of light ahead with a nice fan patern up short .Try the black diamond spot .For comfort ,shop for a good flat strap ,no extra battery packs (some have A pack on the back ) and get one that uses the real small batterys AAA's .If it has tilt ,make sure it will stay locked in place.
                        Ditch the headlamp and go with a handheld.
                        My problem with a headlamp, is that I have to move my head to illuminate the spot I want to see. With a handheld, it's much easier to point in the right direction. No headlamp for me anymore...

Running in Belgium
                        Ann

Check out a good camping store Eastern Mt. Sports or REI that has some headlamps on display .You will see that the reflectors in them have gotten quite sophisticated .Like a cars headlight the reflector shapes a pattern of light .I think that you can find one with a good pattern for running .Me I need my hands free to blow my nose Wink