Strava - selling out runners (Read 509 times)

Found this today - http://www.tuaw.com/2014/05/23/strava-begins-selling-your-data-points-in-the-hopes-of-creating/

Another reason why RunningAhead is the best running log around.

Are you familiar with the saying "If you aren't paying for a web service, you aren't the customer, you are the product" ?

And yes, the RA funding model is different.  Pay a small subscription fee or look at ads.  It is a great service.

delicate flower

If Strava wants to use my running data to make a buck, have at it.  I just assume any app or service I use will try to leverage my data to their benefit.

<3

Hoban-Jay

If Strava wants to use my running data to make a buck, have at it.  I just assume any app or service I use will try to leverage my data to their benefit.

Never saw the point of strava anyway....even if I were not already completely 100% thrilled with RunningAhead.

rmcj001

Individually our data isn't worth much, but in aggregate it is.  Strava has taken the time to develop the site, that takes some money - is it unreasonable for them to expect a return on that investment?  They appear to have gone to some trouble to anomynize the data.  If you worried they will go further don't use them.

Ray

Birdwell

Never saw the point of strava anyway....even if I were not already completely 100% thrilled with RunningAhead.

I love my runningahead log, but I've uploaded two weeks of data to strava and there are two thing I like more.

1. Total elevation gain - right there on every single run, plus your weekly and monthly total gains. I love this more than anything. Especially as I am training for a few hilly ultras.

2. It automatically spits out mile splits for every run, even if you never hit the lap button. (I haven't figured out how to do that with my running ahead log)

I love my runningahead log, but I've uploaded two weeks of data to strava and there are two thing I like more.

1. Total elevation gain - right there on every single run, plus your weekly and monthly total gains. I love this more than anything. Especially as I am training for a few hilly ultras.

2. It automatically spits out mile splits for every run, even if you never hit the lap button. (I haven't figured out how to do that with my running ahead log)

What kind of watch do you have that does not automatically give you mile splits? (Unless you have it programmed for intervals.)

I used Strava for a while (eventually loaded everything on RA); one feature I did like was that it gave you your fastest mile, 5k, 10k, etc., based on any segment of that distance from any run.

Dave

delicate flower

I use Strava because I have friends on there and I interact with them.  Aside from that, if Strava were to vanish tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it all that much.

<3

Seanv2

Strava is also using its users data to help cities create better bike lanes, which I am all for.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/strava-sells-cycling-data/

I love RA and will always log my runs here.  However, I have a number of real life friends who use Strava and I enjoy sharing my workouts with them.  I don't see why both can't co-exist.

By the way, there's a running ahead group on Strava:

http://www.strava.com/clubs/runningahead

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Birdwell

What kind of watch do you have that does not automatically give you mile splits? (Unless you have it programmed for intervals.)

I used Strava for a while (eventually loaded everything on RA); one feature I did like was that it gave you your fastest mile, 5k, 10k, etc., based on any segment of that distance from any run.

its a 305 (new to me). I'm not much up on technology. I can set it up to automatically give mile splits?

it may be time to read the manual.

MTA: I found it! that's good to know it can do that. I set it up and will give it a shot on tomorrow's run.

delicate flower

By the way, there's a running ahead group on Strava:

http://www.strava.com/clubs/runningahead

Cool, I just joined!

<3

Hoban-Jay

RA does this too.

Birdwell

RA does this too.

Gives mile splits? or give the fastest segment from the run?

If so, how?

Hoban-Jay

Upload from your device, then view the workout...it's right there!

DukeDB

I've been using both RA and Strava for almost a year - glad to see that there's a group.  I don't put a lot of energy into Strava, I use Garmin Connect to pull runs off the 220 via Bluetooth, and Tapiirik to automatically get the runs into Strava.  I do wish there was a way to get them automatically from Garmin Connect to RA as RA is my serious running log (even though I update it only at charging time).