Need a recommendation (Read 138 times)

Kifly178

I'm looking to get a full gait analysis done. Im not talking about what they do at the store when you buy new shoes, I'm talking about the real deal. If anyone can recommend a facility in the NYC area I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2018 Scheduled Races "so far"

(4M) 2.4 NYC  /  (4M) 2.24 NYC / (5K) 3.4 NYC / (Half) 3.18 NYC / (4M) 4.8 NYC / (10K) 4.29 NYC / (5M) 6.3 NYC / (4M) 6.24 NYC / (7M) 7.5 NYC / 

can't recommend a place,

but do you do running form drills?

300m- 37 sec.

paul2432

Here is one I found through Google.  It's through NYU so I think it has some credibility.

https://nyulangone.org/locations/sports-performance-center/running-performance-programs

Years ago I had analysis done at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine.  Insurance paid for part of it which was nice.

Kifly178

can't recommend a place,

but do you do running form drills?

Yes Ive done a few of them and I have no doubt they've improved my form. I just want an expert to take a look and let me know what he/she thinks. Thanks for the reply!

(4M) 2.4 NYC  /  (4M) 2.24 NYC / (5K) 3.4 NYC / (Half) 3.18 NYC / (4M) 4.8 NYC / (10K) 4.29 NYC / (5M) 6.3 NYC / (4M) 6.24 NYC / (7M) 7.5 NYC / 

Kifly178

Here is one I found through Google.  It's through NYU so I think it has some credibility.

https://nyulangone.org/locations/sports-performance-center/running-performance-programs

Years ago I had analysis done at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine.  Insurance paid for part of it which was nice.

That would be great if insurance covered even a portion of it. I called a couple places and one analysis was $450 and insurance didn't cover anything. Before I shell out the $ I wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience with a particular facility. I'll give NYU a call in the morning. Thanks for your help!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Why do you think there is something wrong.?

Are you having pain while running ?

Do your feet make a lot of noise when you land.?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

jfa

You can find out a lot of what you're wondering about for free. Go to a local running store. Run on the treadmill. Pronate, supinate, neutral?

They will tell you what kind of shoes you need. You will feel what feels right. Go slow and really think about it. Maybe you pay a bit more for the first pair of shoes, but then you can buy the same model online for cheaper. The shoe that you start in may not be the shoe that you stick with over a length of time if you keep on running. Think minimalist, if you can.

Are you flat footed? Place a paper bag on the bathroom floor and walk out of the shower with wet feet and place them on the bag. The imprint can tell you many things.

Mostly , just go with what feels right to you.

Good luck.

Kifly178

Why do you think there is something wrong.?

Are you having pain while running ?

Do your feet make a lot of noise when you land.?

I normally get pain on the outside of my knee running down the outer part of my calf when I do longer runs (10+) . I have custom insoles that were recommended by a local shoe store. My Lumo run device findings are as follows....

*Cadence is 170 should 180

*Bounce is 4.10in should be 3.30in. Not too far off

*Braking is 1.04 ft/s I surpassed the standard 1.31ft/s

*Drop is 9 deg. I surpassed the standard 12 deg

*Rotation is 16deg should be 15deg. Not too far off

Kifly178

You can find out a lot of what you're wondering about for free. Go to a local running store. Run on the treadmill. Pronate, supinate, neutral?

They will tell you what kind of shoes you need. You will feel what feels right. Go slow and really think about it. Maybe you pay a bit more for the first pair of shoes, but then you can buy the same model online for cheaper. The shoe that you start in may not be the shoe that you stick with over a length of time if you keep on running. Think minimalist, if you can.

Are you flat footed? Place a paper bag on the bathroom floor and walk out of the shower with wet feet and place them on the bag. The imprint can tell you many things.

Mostly , just go with what feels right to you.

Good luck.

Thanks! Yup I had custom insoles and a few running shoe recommendations from a local running store. I have a arch but I pronate so thats why the insole were recommended.

jfa

Another good measuring stick. Take your most comfortable and favorite feeling pair of shoes, and place them side by side on a table. Look at them from the back. Are they tilted either way? Look at the soles, are they worn more on one side or the other? Much of this doesn't require an expert. Much is what's right for you as an individual.

Kifly178

Another good measuring stick. Take your most comfortable and favorite feeling pair of shoes, and place them side by side on a table. Look at them from the back. Are they tilted either way? Look at the soles, are they worn more on one side or the other? Much of this doesn't require an expert. Much is what's right for you as an individual.

Thanks so much for the advice!!!

Booyah!

I normally get pain on the outside of my knee running down the outer part of my calf when I do longer runs (10+) . I have custom insoles that were recommended by a local shoe store. My Lumo run device findings are as follows....

*Cadence is 170 should 180

*Bounce is 4.10in should be 3.30in. Not too far off

*Braking is 1.04 ft/s I surpassed the standard 1.31ft/s

*Drop is 9 deg. I surpassed the standard 12 deg

*Rotation is 16deg should be 15deg. Not too far off

All these metrics are just suggestions/averages or "standards" as you say. Ex. Some folks run at 170spm and do fine, some @ 180 and get injured.

IMHO these #'s can vary somewhat from person to person depending on body makeup & composition. What works for you may not work for me.

I had an extensive gait analysis done by my PT because of an injury (paid by insurance). They couldn't tell me for sure if any of the things they found actually caused my injury, or if fixing/changing any of them would prevent the same injury from happening again. I took the info they gave me and made my "best guess" changes based on what I know about my running form.

I'm not saying a G/A is a waste, in fact I would get one if I was you, but just trying to change every metric that seems off won't guarantee future injuries. As an example, they told me I supinate with my left foot & over-pronate with my right. Sounds like a definite recipe for stability shoes, right? I tried a pair and my knees, ankles & feet were jacked up for weeks, plus I had numerous blisters. I went back to my regular neutral shoe and within a week I was running pain free.

I battle injuries constantly, it can be frustrating. Maybe it's just because I'm older --who knows. I didn't  start running till I was your age, been at it for 12yrs. Good luck in the injury battle.

PR's:

5K- 20:15 (2017)   HM- 1:39:38 (2012)    FM- 3:26:53 (2016)

laura01

link spam

MoBramExam

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A visit to a PT may be of more use than a gait analysis.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.