That Didn't Take Long: The 2014 Boston Marathon Conspiracy Thread (Read 682 times)

C-R

After the furnace of 2012 I gained a huge appreciation for temp induced issues after training in cold.

Frankly the extra amperage for this race today coupled with warmer temps, the excitement of the initial miles and just what this particular race is would be an extra energy sink.

Tough race, tough course, tougher runners.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jfa

Would have been nice if the Orioles could have laid down for the Sox

Mmmmm...beer

LR is a waste of bandwidth.  Meb did an outstanding job today!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Village people

Would have been nice if the Orioles could have laid down for the Sox

+1

bap

Yep.

Certified Running Coach
            Crocked since 2013

I love LRC, but at the same time it is filled with lots (read: mostly) of morons. The idea of it being fixed is even less plausible, not to mention if you watched the race it's easy to see what happened...which is exactly what Spaniel said earlier.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I think we are going to hear people tell us it was a lot warmer/more humid than expected out there.

Respectfully, it was.  Last year, conditions were nearly ideal, perhaps 10+ degrees cooler and mildly cloudy for portions of the race.  By Newton, it was too warm and sunny to be considered ideal.  The later waves must have had it even worse -- I didn't want any part of the Jawa heat cloak at the finish (coming from someone who is normally turning blue after a marathon).

2012 must have been truly awful.

L Train

Respectfully

Yeah, again, I didn't mean anything negative by my comment at all.  It just maybe came as a surprise, especially to those of us who watched the coverage because I don't remember one mention of it being a tad warm.  But I know it was.

Thats it!  Congrats Meb!   Period!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Thats it!  Congrats Meb!   Period!

It was a great race. I had video through mile 10, got some live tweets for about an hour and then got back online to see the last 3 miles.

Village people

Yeah, again, I didn't mean anything negative by my comment at all.  It just maybe came as a surprise, especially to those of us who watched the coverage because I don't remember one mention of it being a tad warm.  But I know it was.

I don't remember anything being said. I don't live too far away and there is no way that I would have gone out for a 3 hr+ run later in the morniing.

delicate flower

This reminds me of that time I read something really dumb on the internet.

<3

It was a great race. I had video through mile 10, got some live tweets for about an hour and then got back online to see the last 3 miles.

I have NBC Universal Sports as one of my Cable channels (Discovered it by accident), watched it from beginning to end.  Great race, very close finish for the men.     --- Shalane had a great first half.  Its too bad she faded, but that almost seemed inevitable once they announced she was crossing the half way mark about 2 minutes ahead of record pace for the course....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

bhearn

Certainly don't believe in a conspiracy, but it is kind of weird, isn't it?  Everybody just let them go, and similar weather brought much faster times a few years ago.  I know anything can happen but for it to happen to everyone seems strange.

The weather wasn't similar a few years ago. It was cooler, and there was a massive tailwind. It got pretty toasty out there today, and no tailwind.

Methinks just like some of the cycling breakaways that lead to stage victories, the big dogs did not take Meb as a serious threat and were unaware that he was in the shape of his life.  They let him go just long enough that he could hold them off for the win.  Good tactics and self-awareness by Meb, big oops by his competition.

Awesome. I love it when races are won by being smarter than the other guys. Like Pam Smith's win at Western States.

This reminds me of that time I read something really dumb on the internet.

What??? I thought if its on the internet it has to be true???