"K-Cup" Coffee Makers (Read 379 times)

TigerEyess

I've had a Keurig B60 for about 3 years now. I'm the only person in my house who drinks coffee, so it doesn't make sense to make even a little baby pot for one or two cups of coffee.

I use the store-bought k-cups, but I usually order online.  There are way more varieties online than in your grocery store.  I also violently hate flavoured coffees, and stay away from those.  I pay on average 66cents per cup, and I order enough boxes at a time to get free shipping.

Regarding the environmental argument - I compost both the grounds and the paper filter inside the k-cup and recycle the foil lid and the plasic cup.  None of it goes into the garbage, thank you, and the recycling facility provides jobs in my community.

I also have one of the k-cup filter thingies where you can put in your own grounds.  I use it sometimes..... when I remember.  Ok, never. It's still in the package 3 years later. Blush

Which reminds me - we're looking at replacing the industrial pour-over coffeemaker at work.  I did a cost comparison to see if we could afford a keurig system but it would work.  However, if I use the little k-cup filter thingie, it just might.....

DukeDB

jpdeaux what's your setup for the cold-brew?  I tried the Toddy a few years back and didn't like it - worried about that little plug coming out in the fridge, didn't like the single-supplier filters.  I did like the coffee, though...

Singer who runs a smidge

I love my Keurig.  DH doesn't drink coffee, and I only drink one cup a day, so it's perfect and way easier than making a mug of coffee in a standard coffeepot.  I have other things I'd rather do with my morning than brew coffee.  Then I usually have a cup of hot tea in the evenings, and it's so nice to have the hot water already there and waiting -- just throw a tea bag and some honey in a mug, press a button, and it's done!  I do slice open the foil and compost the grounds.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

northernman

Fight The Future

You really just need this and this. And maybe one of these if you want to be fancy.

I agree with this, although I would highly recommend the Aeropress instead of the Chemex. With freshly roasted coffee beans. Well worth the extra 2 minutes to make a cup.

Regular ass person

I should invest in one of these.

If it's crazy expensive, I might be more likely to just drink one or two cups of coffee rather than like, 10.

Feeling the growl again

I should invest in one of these.

If it's crazy expensive, I might be more likely to just drink one or two cups of coffee rather than like, 10.

I'm off to use a K-cup now...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

blythe_ann

I know I'm coming in late, but I'm new to the forums and not sure which ones are still popular and which aren't.

We have a Keurig at work.

Pros: I don't drink coffee, so the hot chocolate, chai latte and tea options are pretty good.  I also just use hot water from it (just don't put in a cup) for tea.  I'm kind of a tea fanatic, so I don't have a hot chocolate unless my fellow employee has just made me mad... I'm an emotional hot chocolate drinker, apparently.  So the variety is great. 
                It's really quick.  I love when we have customers come in and I can offer them 5 different kinds of coffee and have it back to them in two minutes instead of brewing.

It's cooler looking.

Cons: You do go through a lot of trash and it seems more expensive long term.  I don't know, since I don't buy the K-Cups, but it seems like we go through a box or two a week at my work between two guys . And the trash, is a little ridiculous.  I'm kind of a "green-living" fan and it just feels weird to toss these cups all the time.

5K: 23:45 10K: 49:50 Half:? Longest run: 20 miles

We have a Keurig at home, wife loves it.

TheHurricaneMom

I bought one at Kohl's after my 12 y.o. Krups got a tiny hole in the now discontinued carafe.  They are OK.  I think I use less coffee than when I would brew almost a whole pot.  You can get a cup thingie and used your own coffee if you wish.

EpicErin

Epic Runner

Meh, I have one and used it for a while with the disposable cups, but to be honest I miss my regular coffee maker. My boyfriend refuses to drink out of it because he says I don't clean it enough, which is why he likes the K-Cups. We got a reusable cup but I still feel like it's a waste of coffee. IT DOESN'T MAKE ENOUGH!! Joking

Do Epic Runs

http://www.doepicruns.com/

Cold brewed coffee, unadulterated, plain black. Heat by the cup if you prefer. I brew 24-48 hours in a quart jar at regular strength, but 12 hours is fine too. No bitterness ever, and the real taste of the bean.

Not sure if it's the same, but my parents would pour "x" amount of water into a pound of coffee and get an "extract" which took over a day, and they would mix it with water and microwave it in the morning.

It was so smoooooth.  The "theory" was the hot water in the brewing process brought out some "oils" that were bitter.  And, since the way they did it there was no heat, the coffee extract was devoid of all those bitter oils.

It may have been total bullsh!t, but, it was good coffee.

Oh, and also...I'm not a big fan of the Keurigs because of the non-recylacable plastic cup thingies.

However, at work, we have coffee makers that use a one cup pouch that I think is recyclable.  That I could be down with.  But, in general, I prefer a basic, old style, coffee maker.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Not sure if it's the same, but my parents would pour "x" amount of water into a pound of coffee and get an "extract" which took over a day, and they would mix it with water and microwave it in the morning.

It was so smoooooth.  The "theory" was the hot water in the brewing process brought out some "oils" that were bitter.  And, since the way they did it there was no heat, the coffee extract was devoid of all those bitter oils.

I brew a coffee porter and that's how I do the coffee.  I cold steep 1/2 pound of coffee in a quart of water for 24 hours, strain, then add to the beer right after I turn the flame off.  Cold steeped coffee is no doubt less bitter than hot brewed.

Oh, and also...I'm not a big fan of the Keurigs because of the non-recylacable plastic cup thingies.

Someone else posted that you could peel the foil off, dump the grounds in the compost, then recycle the plastic.  I tried it.  It is a pain.  The grounds don't come out easy and most get rinsed down the drain.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

I might try that sometime.  I used to get cold brewed iced coffee in cleveland.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Keurig, Shmeurig. I found this marvel of American design at a yard sale for five bucks. Paperless filter; racy, retro design; and it makes coffee taste the way it did in college when I'd pull an all-nighter.

Look at that handle.....it's like a French curve on steroids.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Walt, that's very like the percolator that my mom used for my entire childhood.  To me the sound of that thing burbling away was sorta heavenly, even before I was a coffee drinker, myself.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay