Should I just run right away every morning? (Read 417 times)

Tiefsa

The weather is finally starting to turn a little, but I still haven't been able to get out the door.

Who runs outside every morning?  Do you have any tips to help me stick with it and make running in the morning enjoyable?

My plan is to start doing this every day.  I figure I need to make it my daily routine because when I get back home from work, there's always something that comes up, or I just plain avoid running.

MoBramExam

I am one of those people.

If it is important to you, you will do it.

I am one of those people too.  My alarm rings every day at 5:30....I never want to get up...I do anyway.

1)  I go to bed committed to run the next day with my clothes out and the run (distance and pace) planned.  I have a rule, nothing is negotiable for the first hour I am awake of a day...no changing of the mind allowed.

2)  I have never regretted a run I did, only runs I didn't do.

In the end to be a successful runner all you need is the "want to".  You can decide to have "want to", the trick is never changing your mind.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Runslowalksalot

Running is my quiet, me, time.  Doing it when there is little or no traffics Is best for solitude.

As Yoda says,"do or do not.  There is no try".

J-L-C

I usually roll out of bed, into my clothes and get out the door 5 minutes later.

For me it was just about getting into a routine. I found the key was getting to bed about the same time every night. In bed by 10:30, hopefully asleep by 11, up with no alarms around 7, out the door around 7:15.

Tiefsa

Do you eat anything right when you wake up?  Do you drink anything?  What about stretching?

I'm only planning on general distance runs.

J-L-C

I drink some water. No eating. Don't need it in the mornings as long as you eat properly the day before.

I don't usually stretch before running. I might do some type of Myrtl standing dynamic leg swing things if I feel banged up, but usually I just start running. First half a mile is generally pretty rough before loosening up a bit.

Birdwell

I get up at 5:15, and am out the door by 5:20 to run. I just hit the door, before eating or drinking anything. My morning average now is around 6 miles or so.

Biggest tip is put the alarm clock at the other end of the bedroom, somewhere you have to get out of bed to turn it off. Lay out all clothes, and shoes the night before.

Don't think about it, just get up and go. If I start to think about what I'm about to do, those are the days I crawl back in bed, only to guilt myself into running 30 minutes later.

DDXD

Slower than I look

I really wish I had the option to choose when I run but my schedule is so haywire.  Being able to sleep until 5:30am and then get up and run would be a dream; anytime I currently run in the morning (other than Sat. or odd days working from home) has me out of bed by no later than 4:30am to run.

I travel a lot for work and just finding places to run can sometimes be a challenge but also keeps things interesting.  I recently had a trip to Las Vegas for work and ended up getting a little (ok, a lot) drunk the night before a planned run.  My alarm went off at 4:30am, I vomited, and dragged myself downstairs to run.  To top it off, I was running with a guy who is considerably faster than me so I ended up running essentially race pace for 5 miles to keep up.  It always amazes me what the body is capable of vs. what you feel like you can do.

My one run that is consistent is the Saturday morning run.  My routine is to get up early before the family, eat a banana or nothing, drink some water, and head out the door to a local park.  If I had my way, this would be my normal routine.  It's always my favorite run of the week.

2)  I have never regretted a run I did, only runs I didn't do.

This is so true.

And I feel so much better after a morning run, knowing I started my day in such a great way. Much better than waiting to run at night.

B-Plus

Don't you need to take a dump first?

Not dead. Yet.

I tried the morning thing for a few weeks, but it's just too hard to get out of the door into the cold when you are tired.  I got one of those slowly brightening light alarm clocks that made waking up a bit easier, but I still couldn't do it.  I switched back to running in the evenings, and even in the dark I find it better than morning running.  I've never been a morning person though.

I am out of the door within ten minutes of getting home from work.  Afterwards, a nice warm shower and some dinner and I sleep like a baby.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

i do if I can. About the only thing that stops me is being injured, like right now.

Don't you need to take a dump first?

Yeah, this.  I don't know how people are out the door in 5 minutes.....it take me about 15 or so on average.  Alarm, up, clothes, shoes, gps on, road id, mp3, jacket, bathroom......, drink of water, gloves, out the door.  I never have anything to eat, even before long runs, mostly because why bother.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The weather is finally starting to turn a little, but I still haven't been able to get out the door.

Who runs outside every morning?  Do you have any tips to help me stick with it and make running in the morning enjoyable?

My plan is to start doing this every day.  I figure I need to make it my daily routine because when I get back home from work, there's always something that comes up, or I just plain avoid running.

Yep, I do.  Potty, rinse out my mouth, get dressed, and I'm out the door in 20 - 30 minutes.  The pre-dawn runs are often the best part of my day, and the rest of the day is better as a result.  I have had to discipline myself to get to bed by 10:00 to make it work.  Another thing that has helped me is streaking.  Knowing that this is just what I do every morning takes out the internal negotiations ("I'm tired; it's too cold; I need a rest day").  None of that; it's time to run.