First HM - now what? (Read 447 times)

Hi guys! I completed my first HM last weekend after taking up running last October. I was really happy with my time of 2:23:44 (well actually, I was just happy I finished!) Problem is I can't seem to get myself motivated at the moment as running this HM has been my big goal since the start. I'm not interested in running a full marathon - don't have the time or the enthusiasm for 26.2 miles of pain - but I do want to start up a new training program to get a bit faster. Any advice from you wise people?

Queen of 3rd Place

Think about how far you've come and how much you've learned and put that all to good use in getting a PR in the half! Look for interesting places you might want to run - what a great excuse to travel (not to mention eat some well-deserved meals), or some worthy charities to run for, or maybe just support a run in your local community (many community runs exist for the sole purpose of supporting charities). Here's a searchable schedule: http://www.theschedule.com/ Arla

Ex runner

jingchunyu

Only need three more month training to finish a marathon.
          Sounds like you have a case of the "post-race blues:" You trained a year for this thing, put a lot of time into it, was happy with your time, and now...........(you've got no race to train/plan for) But you've managed to fit a training regimen into your lifestyle.....that's HUGE. Give yourself a little time off, then keep running. Find another race which is in a few months, or even weeks, and train for that. It doesn't have to be a HM. There are plenty of runners out there who are content to run 5 and 10k's. There's a lot of advice on this and other forums, and at the Macmillan site, there are even suggested paces for different training runs. But do continue to run. It's the only way you'll get faster. And congratulations on finishing your first Half- Marathon!