First Race Ever (Read 642 times)

I finished my first race ever today - a 10K. And for me, I had a great time of 55:18. My goal was to finish under an hour. Not bad for just starting to run a couple of months ago. Temperature was 80 and humid which is out of the ordinary for October. Funny thing - I pulled around a corner and I heard the loud speakers announcing runners. So I started to kick up my pace. Luckily the woman behind me let me know we still had a ways to go - over a mile - before the finish line. Saved me from walking over the finish line. I'm looking forward to the next race in November.
    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

Go Pre!

Good job. Welcome to the addiction!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Chris, that's a really excellent time! So does this mean you're hooked? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WTG!!! If you could do that in just a few months and in hot and humid weather.... Congrats Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

va

Nice time Chris, congrats!
              Very nice!
              Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Chris Well done ... Neil UK

Running ... just keep running!

great job on your first race. Did you love the experience?
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    congrats! Sounds like a perfect first race. Big grin you met goal and did pretty darn good considering the conditions! Cool

Jennifer mm#1231

Yes I'm now hooked on racing. I learned a couple of things today. 1) Don't set a killer pace off the starting line. (started at 8 minute miles which is very fast for me and didn't last too long). I'm not racing against the other runners. I'm racing against myself. If people pass me, it's ok. Don't get psyched out. 2) Stick around for the full awards ceremony. Even though I wasn't going to win a medal, I should help other runners celebrate. Plus, they given out door prizes. I decided to leave early because the awards were taking a while. Got to the parking and heard my bib number called for a prize. Before I got back, they called another number. Serves me right. Wink 3) Go to the porta johns early to avoid the lines. 4) It's hard to drink and run at the same time.
                      Len

Damn Yankee

Yes I'm now hooked on racing. I learned a couple of things today. 1) Don't set a killer pace off the starting line. (started at 8 minute miles which is very fast for me and didn't last too long). I'm not racing against the other runners. I'm racing against myself. If people pass me, it's ok. Don't get psyched out. 2) Stick around for the full awards ceremony. Even though I wasn't going to win a medal, I should help other runners celebrate. Plus, they given out door prizes. I decided to leave early because the awards were taking a while. Got to the parking and heard my bib number called for a prize. Before I got back, they called another number. Serves me right. Wink 3) Go to the porta johns early to avoid the lines. 4) It's hard to drink and run at the same time.
                        Way to take it all in stride. You should be justifiably proud of yourself, nice time especially considering the lousy (for October) running weather.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Another Passion

Congrats, Chris! Awesome race and time. Great nuggets of race-wisdom posted also... especially the early use of the porta-johns which I adhered too at my second race... thankfully! Big grin

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Nicely done, now you can hang that framed bib on the wall. It will serve as a reminder of what a great time you had, and will provide the motivation to head out the door on days when you might otherwise blow off a run. Congrats!

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Forgot to mention the most beautiful sound I heard. First let me frame it - several years ago, my wife and I visited a B&B. We were sitting on the lawn and a flock of geese flew overheard but low to the ground. Their wings made this wonderful wooshing sound as they all flew together. I thought this was the most beautiful sound until I heard all of those footsteps moving together at the starting line. No talking, no cars, just hundreds of feet moving together.
                                Nicely done, now you can hang that framed bib on the wall. It will serve as a reminder of what a great time you had, and will provide the motivation to head out the door on days when you might otherwise blow off a run. Congrats!
                                Thanks. I ordered my picture from the event and I'm going to frame it with my bib as a reminder.