Calling Dr. Trent... (Read 1519 times)

I have persisting soreness/stiffness x ~2 wks with accompanying point tenderness in my left hip/groin on/near the pubic ramus that doesn't seem to be getting better, and I hope you're willing and able to suggest some things that I haven't thought of. Could I email you w/ history and questions, or better to post them here? Thanks, Bethanie

jules2

I'm sure Trent will need a photo to enable him to diagnose the problem. Is your name any connection with your occupation as swinging round a pole all day wouldn't help.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I cannot specifically diagnose your problem here or via email, but can answer general questions to be sure. Feel free to post here. It sounds like the area of your anterior superior iliac spine, one of the protrusions from your pelvis. Several ligaments insert there and can get irritated.
          Thanks--and I appreciate the disclaimer. I am an athletic trainer, but can't quite seem to nail this down for myself. Somehow, fixing other people is easier Confused Not sore on the usual suspects of ASIS, hip flexors, adductors, etc., and can't find any stretch that addresses it. Also, no change in symptoms with resistance or active motion; rather, sx increase when weight bearing is transferred from affected side to unaffected. Then it comes on strong for a while and then fades into soreness that persists. Feels better after the first couple of minutes of running, but then comes back w/ slowing/stopping. Still running, and want to stay that way! No trauma/fall/slips, or prior injury etc. Pain doesn't radiate elsewhere. Have about 1/4" leg length discrepancy--sore side is the short side. Have custom, rigid orthotics to address this. Possible that psoas issues are at the root of all of this? I'll see my orthopedist if it gets out of hand (in other words: I can't run), but I'd love suggestions to avoid it getting to that point. Already icing after activity, and sometimes 1-2 more times/day; as previously mentioned, stretching doesn't seem to impact it one way or the other. Currently running about 2 miles each MWF, biking/swimming/group fitness on at least 2 other days. Again, not getting worse...and not getting better. Definitely getting annoying, and I'd like to increase running time, but am hesitant to do so because of this. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks, Bethanie
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why do you have the leg length discrepancy? Is your SI joint misaligned or is it a true leg bone length issue?
              SI misalignment
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would start there. Go see an ortho, a PT or even a chiro who can adjust the SI joint. There are a few maneuvers that can help. If you can get that straighter, you may have a more symmetric gait and not need to rely on inserts. I am not certain what is hurting you, but I suspect a ligamentitis. What say ye?
                  See a chiro regularly, as the SI issue is long-standing. Question of chicken and egg w/ leg length<-->SI...with heel lift in, adjustments to the SI last much longer, and the SI almost becomes a non-issue. But what throws the SI out of whack? Slight anatomical LLD causing SI dysfunction leading to functional LLD....which masks the anatomical LLD? Or other issues causing SI dysfunction and therby causing functional LLD? In a pt. in my office, this would be the question I would investigate, just hard to check out on myself. Only so much gait analysis one can do on self while running. Differential of ligamentitis v. iliopsoas bursitis v. psoas tightness/weakness triggering everything? Or all of the above? </-->
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I wonder if you could do some strengthening (where, though?) to help keep your SI aligned. I agree, it does sound a bit cyclical. Dang. I don't get a sense of whether the pain is deep (i.e., psoas) or more superficial (i.e., ligamentitis). Also, remember, hip socket pain sometimes is difficult to localize and you can feel it any number of places.
                      Pain is locally tender right on the pubic ramus, approx. midway between symphysis and the acetabulum. Soreness goes deeper and I can't pinpoint, but goes superior. Last night I stepped down off a city bus, affected side first, and found out that hurt. A lot. That last step down to the street was a long way, and was a doozy. But then the pain subsided, following the pattern as before. I'll call for an appt tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help. Bethanie
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I worry about your hip joint. Get thee an MRI. And good luck!

SMART Approach

Stress fx??? Or could be a stress reaction. Certainly MRI or CT scan would rule this out??? The fact that it goes away with running makes me think it is a soft tissue issue maybe?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Yes, fear the first, hope for the second! Undecided
                              Saw my DO today (who just ran a HM), and XRays were normal, but we are still suspecting possible stress Fx of the pubic ramus. Dang. I really wanted to be wrong on this dx. She agrees that this seems to be linked with the whole SI/leg length issue, and that we want to fix that and see how that impacts the bony reaction. So, I'm going to PT and avoiding exacerbating activities, and will do a bone scan if things don't change pretty quickly here. We discussed doing the bone scan this week, but agreed to wait to see how it responds to PT. Thanks again for your feedback! Bethanie
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd go ahead with the adjustments and consider an MRI. Good luck!