Seacoast Half Marathon or Don't Try Anything New on Race Day - Really! (Read 755 times)

Background: I just started running a little over a year ago. September 2007. I was overweight and HATED running. Seriously. I tried it a couple of times before and hated it. I would only do it if a bear was chasing me. Then I tried the Couch to 5k, ran my first 5k Thanksgiving weekend, moved on to 10ks, a local race series and then turned to my FIRST half marathon. The following is a re-post from my blog. So today was the Seacoast Half Marathon. I made several lists before-hand to ensure I wouldn't forget anything. I packed my bag last night for the same reason. I've read many race reports for entertainment, but also to learn from other's mistakes. The biggest lesson I have heard? Don't try anything new on race day. So, Saturday I went to the running store to pick up my race packet. Ooh, a sale! I picked up a skirt like the one I already have but in a new color, and a new tank top. SCORE! Since I trained with the Runner's Alley group, we were given special team shirts to wear the day of the race. It was also going to be unseasonably warm on race day. Hmm, shirt with blue and green on it. Gee, that matches my BRAND NEW skirt and tank. And it's going to be warm, which would be perfect for my new skirt and tank. So, what do you think I wore? Okay, I was also out of Body Glide (as mentioned in a previous post), so I had a BRAND NEW stick of Body Glide. This may or may not factor in later. Anyway, Saturday night I slept pretty well. Although I did have two dreams, one of which I was running the race and had forgotten my bib. For some reason in the other dream the race had a lot of stairs I had to climb. I woke up as planned at 6 AM. I had a small breakfast of a bagel and cream cheese, water and diet coke. My normal breakfast before my Saturday morning runs. I left my house at 7AM in order to meet the group at 7:30AM. I got a good parking spot, re-applied my new Body Glide, which broke off in giant clumps on my legs that I had to try and spread out. I went in and met the group. We got pumped up, took some pictures, put goofy matching ribbons in our hair and headed to the start line. I managed to see my husband and daughter before the start (we left my son with Mimi and Papa), which was nice. The race started promptly at 8:30. I started out with my group, but was feeling good, so I picked it up a little and pulled ahead. We normally ran 10 to 11 minute miles during training. I was running 9:30 to 10 minute miles. I was feeling good, although a little warm in my team shirt since it was long sleeve. The weather was perfect, around 50-55 degrees the whole race. The sun came in and out every few mintes or so, and there was a beautiful ocean breeze. The water stops were run by charities and runners got to vote on the best one. So, they were very festive. My favorite had a bunch of kids dressed up for "Jazzercise", leg warmers, headbands and lots of jumping and cheering. Mile 5 was along the coast with ocean views and was absolutely beautiful! At one point I passed a woman who followed the rule about no iPods, however she was holding an MP3 player with SPEAKERS. Someone called her their personal jukebox. I ran faster just to avoid her. Turning onto what is referred to as the Newcastle Loop was great (around 7.5 miles) since we had run the loop several times in training, it felt like home turf. However, it went downhill from there, and I don't mean elevation. My feet started to hurt and I started to mentally tire. I kept trying to tell myself it would pass. It had happened in training and I pushed through. Unfortunately, that never happened. I had already had both of my waters, and both of my Gus. At mile 11 there was a water stop. And for some unknown crazy reason, I decided to take some Gatorade instead of water. WHY?! I had NEVER had Gatorade. Ever. What was I thinking? The answer is, that I wasn't. I think I had started to lose it. And I talked myself into thinking that Gatorade would give me that last boost I needed. Instead I felt like I was going to hurl for the rest of the race. So, there you have it: Don't Try Anything New on Race Day - Really! So now I spent the last 2.1 miles fighting the urge to wretch. My feet were hurting even more. I was tired and thirsty and didn't have any water left and no water stops ahead. I had slowed down to drink the Gatorade and actually had to say out loud, "Do NOT stop running!". Shortly after this, I saw a group of four people. I had actually seen them earlier. They were spectators who had "Eye of the Tiger" playing in their car. The appeared at maybe four different spots on the course. They really cheered me up and gave me a boost. Sadly, at this point in the race, the boost only lasted for a second. Especially since we were going uphill. The last mile is (or at least seems) all up hill. Luckily, I saw Ashley (the group coordinator) about 0.5 mile before the finish. She was cheering and helped me up the rest of that hill. I also knew my husband and daughter and several friends were at the top of the hill. I saw them, they took some pictures (I'll post later!) and cheered me on. Just a bit farther, a turn and up a STEEP, but thankfully short hill, then down the fill to the FINISH!!! So, my pre-race goals: Goal #1 - my worst day goal: Just finish. Goal #2 - my average goal: 2:15 Goal #3 - my super secret goal (just don't tell anyone): 2:07 And my official Half Marathon finish time ... 2:11:42! I was soooo happy. Especially with the struggles in the last few miles. So, I did it. It's over. Time to relax and recover. * My last little lesson of the day - I don't know if it was coincidence, but I had pretty bad chafing, and I've never had a problem before. New tube of Body Glide?

http://www.runningnotes.net

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

* My last little lesson of the day - I don't know if it was coincidence, but I had pretty bad chafing, and I've never had a problem before. New tube of Body Glide?
      I gave up on BG after I had 3-4 $$ sticks of the stuff that did that crumbling thing and I lost probably 1/4 of each stick on the ground. I switched to SportShield roll-on and it works FAR better--and lasts a lot longer for about the same price. I am still on the first bottle I bought probably back in August. I think you did quite well during your race, considering. And don't give up on Gatorade. It used to turn my stomach, then I started using it half-strength and eventually full. I drank that really concentrated "Endurance" formula stuff during the last 6 miles of my marathon and it was GOOD stuff. You have come SO far in just a year of running. I hope you are proud of yourself--you did GREAT! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Nice job and nice report. I ran the first Seacoast half (my sister works at Runners Alley) really nice course, except that list mile.

Runners run

Ojo

You had some rough patches but you did it! Sometimes we all have to learn lessons the hard way. Congrats on a good race!

Sara

MM #2929

Congrats on the great race and report! You did it and you looked good doing it, too. Nice job. dari

Great report! Great race! Congratulations!
                Thanks everyone! I forgot to add that my brain was really losing it towards the end. I was chanting "Farther. Faster. Longer. Stronger." in my head to keep going and around mile 10 I forgot the words!!! Shocked

Nice job and nice report. I ran the first Seacoast half (my sister works at Runners Alley) really nice course, except that list mile.
                  Who is your sister? I LOVE the ladies at Runner's Alley. I trained with their group, Ashley and Trisha were great motivators!!!!

mikeymike

Who is your sister? I LOVE the ladies at Runner's Alley. I trained with their group, Ashley and Trisha were great motivators!!!!
                    Tricia is my sis. They are a good crew there--I stop in at the store whenever I'm in the Portsmouth area.

Runners run

Blisters

Congratulations. Great race report. You're certainly not the first runner to try something new on race day that you've regretted and you won't be the last. At least you made it through. I got stuck once with a bad tube of Body Glide. Same thing, came off in chunks. I was hoping it was a one-off bad batch but maybe there is more to it. Glad to hear from zoom-zoom that there is another option. I wasn't aware of it. So now you have three months to train for the Half at the Hamptons where you can break 2 hours....
                        Tricia is my sis. They are a good crew there--I stop in at the store whenever I'm in the Portsmouth area.
                        I love Tricia! She was dressed up as Pooh! She also got to witness be tearing up when the race was over. She is so great!

Congratulations. Great race report. You're certainly not the first runner to try something new on race day that you've regretted and you won't be the last. At least you made it through. I got stuck once with a bad tube of Body Glide. Same thing, came off in chunks. I was hoping it was a one-off bad batch but maybe there is more to it. Glad to hear from zoom-zoom that there is another option. I wasn't aware of it. So now you have three months to train for the Half at the Hamptons where you can break 2 hours....
                          Hmm, don't know about the Half at the Hamptons. I'm thinking about it. I think I need a few days off before I can contemplate it. And WOW! Break two hours?! Do you think I could? That would be awesome...

Congratulations, great report and a good race. Have had the same problem with BG. Didn't know there was an alternative. Thanks Zoom-Zoom. I ran the half at the Marshall Marathon in WV on 11/2. 2:11:43 so you got me by a second. Keep running Tony

When all is said and done; there is a lot more said than done.

Flat footer

Way to HTFU Kathy! Smile Great RR and a great job with the race. Congratulations! I've run a few races up in Portsmouth, I might have to run the Seacoast HM next year.
                                Have you tried liberally applying petroleum jelly where you chaff? If you're worried about gooping up your fingers you could always use a spatula to apply it. Congrats on your HM!

Vim