New Running App (Read 756 times)

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of building a new running app. This isn't a run tracker or map my run type of application but it's going to be full blown app that has the majority of every race in the country.  It will have filters so that you can just tap a button for where you are and you can select a race within so many miles and/or change a filter to only have 5k or 10k etc.  It will also be a great source for reviews of every race.  Think of trip advisor.  Lets say you want to run the chicago marathon and have never been there. You are going to be able to read reviews of runners that talk about what hotels to stay at, what restaurants to eat at, what to expect at packet pick up, how are the race medals (bling) etc.  This app will have over 250,000 race ready to roll on day one. I am going to roll out a website first and the app second and I am looking to have it all finished up in the next 90 days.

What I need from my running community is any more ideas to incorporate into this.  So please anything thing you can think of I will take into consideration and as the time gets closer to launch I will give you more details on what the app is call and the web site address.

Thanks everyone,

Brent

I thought about developing an app myself. I like Strava and NikePlus app's but I think there's an opportunity to do something a bit different in the space. Goodluck!

mikeymike

How will you get the majority of races in the country into your database? That's always appeared to be the challenge for race directory websites and there have been a lot of them. For the longest time Coolrunning was the defacto standard for New England races but it relied on race directors to submit their races to the database. It never took off nationally and over the years it's seemed to cover fewer of the NE races as people tend to rely on social media and other avenues for promoting races.

Marathonguide is a great resource for marathons but I've often wondered how they get all the races in the database.  I suspect a combination of crowd sourcing and manual work. And searching google for marathons is a lot easier than searching for any type of race of any distance.

Runners run

flauta

Another good resource for Marathons is FindMyMarathon (http://www.findmymarathon.com).  It only covers marathons (obviously) but it does have some nice features, like a tool to compare times for different marathons based on different terrain, weather, etc.  I would take a look at that for some additional ideas.

thanks for your input folks.  I have a few ways to get the data and some manual uploading will be required also like a yelp set up.   If we don't have your race you can add it and review it. Put pics up share comments to the race director, maybe you feel the race should start earlier because it's always too hot, or maybe users suggest an extra water stop etc.

again thanks for your replies

runmichigan

There is also the RunningInTheUSA website.  It has a good map tool and the 50 State Gadget.  The listings are reasonable, but by no means extensive.  They seem to be dependent on race directors reporting in.  Overall I find the best source for marathons is the Marathon Maniacs calendar page.

Yea there are some decent sites out there..they all have like one good benefit but I still feel like they should all be combined into one site.  Plus they don't have apps or the mobile view is tough to use.  I got to see a sneak peak of my new app last week and it's looking amazing going to be so user friendly.  Working on getting the data in there and should have around 270,000 races right off the bat and we will also have all the tough mudders and spartan races in there so that people can review those as well.  if you all have any more ideas let me know and Ill run them by my development team.  On a drop down menu for instance would you all like to see 1mile, 4 mile, 5k, 10k, half, full, ultras, mudders, etc..what events are you wanting to search for..maybe trail races.  Any ideas on other distances you would like to see.

jbaco

Will you have triathlons?

Sure will...you will be able to search triathlons as well.  What are the main sites that you use for triathlons now??! I am going to make this to where you will be able to review your recent triathlon or one you have done in the past.  You will rate it base on several categories and can comment on it and the race directors and events hosts will be able to take positive and negative comments from these races and hopefully make them even better.  Plus other runners and triathletes will be able to read about the local dining, accommodations, the bling from the race, were there enough water stops....whatever you want to write about.  Also it'll be super user friendly on the app portion and it'll just be 2-3 taps and you will have all the races and the filters that you are looking for to search your race.  As this app gets further along I will keep everyone updated on when the launch date will be.

tomatolover

i really like the idea----i travel enough and would like to look up races in areas I'm not familiar with, though generally have a hard time navigating each state's options, and i'm not just into longer, marathon-distance races.  Don't know if this has been considered, but international races are VERY HARD find/navigate and should yer app go the distance, say over to Europe, I would certainly be using it.

I also am thinking about a different type of running app.  Are you building your own or using someone to build it?

I am having a professional company build it.  We will have triathlons and some cycling races incorporated.  If the race isn't on our database the user(you) will be able to add the race.  You will be able to review the race and make comments and give it a rating for instance....the bling, the water stops/gel stations, accommodations, race difficulty, organization, and an overall rating for the race.  The app is halfway built and it's super expensive.  If you are thinking of building one yourself i caution you to make sure you copyright and have everything in place.   Honestly, even with copyrights and trademarks, it's still hard to keep someone from taking your idea.  There are a few other apps out there that tried to get the race finders going but they couldn't get the data. They got a few races uploaded but even the ones they have the data was scarce..  We will not only have the data of 300,000 races, but I love that the users will be able to review races.  I think with so many races popping up and people trying to raise money for a cause....or just raise money for themselves..it will keep the race directors in check.  Users will be able to comment on anything for instance I ran a marathon last fall that I got my first BQ on. I was 5th overall and the results were scrwed up. I never got my overall award and they said since I didn't pick up award race day, they turned it back in and I don't get it!! WTF...so even after they fixed the results I still never was awarded my award.  The race also had mile splits at 7, 9 18...23   why do i care about those.. I wanted to tell the race director that they needed mile splits at 5k 10k 10 miles etc ..distances that we are all used to training on.  So that is kinda what sparked this app.  Im super thankful for all of your feedback and i have added a few more features.  You will login via Facebook if you choose, and any of your connected friends that you choose to add via my app, you are going to be able to get a notification when they register for a race or they check into a race. Just an added feature.  I think that will be cool to know when they register and for what race.  That might prompt you to register for the same race also!! Or it will prompt you to check on their times the following evening to see how they did!!!!!

Anyway, have a great evening thanks for reading..

BG

i really like the idea----i travel enough and would like to look up races in areas I'm not familiar with, though generally have a hard time navigating each state's options, and i'm not just into longer, marathon-distance races.  Don't know if this has been considered, but international races are VERY HARD find/navigate and should yer app go the distance, say over to Europe, I would certainly be using it.

Im working on international.  I obviously want this to get as big as possible for many reasons but due to the high cost of building an app, I am going to stick around the USA first and as it gets bigger and hopefully I keep getting more financial backers, which I have been blessed to have a few now, I will start using that money to expand and get the data together for international travel. My old job as a federal agent i was traveling all over the world and I was always searching for races in the caribbean and other locations, but had a hard time finding it.  With the feature I will add to let the user upload their race information, think YELP, then more races will be entered every single day..  I hope to get the major international races added up front but the smaller races will take time some to get in the database.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

As most have pointed out, the market can be cornered by someone who has a complete set of data.  The App's usability isn't really the problem here.  Just a website with a reliably full set of data, where you could see a calendar of races for a particular city would quickly get community backing.

Reviews and "add your own races" are nice, but you won't get them unless the data is there.

Build it and they will come.

I certainly will.

Good luck.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ultramarathon/triathlete

This sounds cool. I'd download and use it. I use what seems like a dozen different websites to find races, especially if I'm travelling but also just for local stuff. Something all in one would be good.

Can one register for a race through it? That would be handy. You might even be able to get a cut of the $$ that way. I assume you'll need to monetize it somehow.

Can you somehow link it with Athlinks? I use that one to track the races I've done, you might find races for your app that way.

It would also be cool if your app showed local races and then you could tap something to see past results. Particularly if you were trying to cherry pick a race for a win or an AG place. Might be cool if it showed X race in your area and you could click on results and maybe filter that way.

But really, I'd primarily want it for an easy, all-in-one location to find races.

It would be cool if it had a user calendar too, so you could save the races you might want to do, and flag which ones you've already registered. In that case, it would be nice if it could integrate with my google calendar.

Good luck. Let us know when it's live!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team