Another lightweight neutral trainer thread (Read 973 times)

So I love the Kinvara 2. They're my new go to trainer. Best shoe ever, yada yada yada. But there are some days when I go for an easy run in heavier trainers like Saucony Rides or Mizuno Riders. I've got a few miles left in those but I'll be looking for a new pair of neutral trainers that are a bit more..I don't know...substantial (?) than the Kinvaras but less shoe than the Rides or Riders which now feel brickish. 

I know many of you Kinvara wearers also run in a somewhat beefier or cushier trainer for those days when you feel a little beat up or just want a little more shoe for a long run on asphalt. I've heard the NB 890 mentioned. The new Saucony Mirage has been mentioned as a possibility since it's also a 4mm heel drop. But I don't like the idea of the medial post. Medial posting and I do not get along. The idea of Brooks shoes always sounds appealing but they just don't fit my foot. 

Suggestions appreciated.

Why is it sideways?

I like the NB 890 for a more typical "running shoe feel" but light, neutral, and responsive. It does have a large heel-to-toe drop (which was a good thing for my purposes.) Just got my third pair in the mail.

I like the Brooks Launch for such days, but since you already mentioned that you don't like Brooks, maybe something like Asics Speedstars, which have a fair bit of cushioning, but are no bricks.

Scout7

Jeff,

You may be lightweight, but I wouldn't call you neutral.

I'm a big fan of the Adizero Boston - a very responsive but not heavy trainer.  Also just got some Asics Sky Speeds that I like, which is sort of the neutral version of the DS Trainer.  They are definitely more shoe than the Kinvara. 

Once a runner . . .

Why is it sideways?

Jeff,

You may be lightweight, but I wouldn't call you neutral.

Here's proof, at least, that I am responsive.

I'm a big fan of the Adizero Boston - a very responsive but not heavy trainer.  Also just got some Asics Sky Speeds that I like, which is sort of the neutral version of the DS Trainer.  They are definitely more shoe than the Kinvara. 

The Sky Speeds are a thought only cuz Asics looks to have seriously f'ked up the Speedstar. 

Agree about the Kinvaras, great shoe.  I like the Brooks Launches also, another great shoe.  I had a pair of the Asics Sky speeds and hated them....no real reason, just every run in them sucked. 

I got two pair of adidas marathon 10s off runningwarehouse really cheap and am quite content with them.  There is nothing special about them, they just work, I get to the end of a run and haven't thought about my shoes once.  I guess that is a pretty decent compliment for a shoe.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

The Sky Speeds are a thought only cuz Asics looks to have seriously f'ked up the Speedstar. 

Good to know, I am still on the 4s

No Talent Drips

I'm out of the loop on this. About to roll 1,000 miles on my old Speedstars and was just planing to replace...what gives with the Speedstar?

How about the DS Trainer?

Dei Gratia

I'm out of the loop on this. About to roll 1,000 miles on my old Speedstars and was just planing to replace...what gives with the Speedstar?

How about the DS Trainer?

I feel like the DS Trainer is very close to Mizuno Rider.  I'm trying out both now.   

Brooks Glycerin?

MTA: quote

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I got two pair of adidas marathon 10s off runningwarehouse really cheap and am quite content with them.  There is nothing special about them, they just work, I get to the end of a run and haven't thought about my shoes once.  I guess that is a pretty decent compliment for a shoe.

Good to know. I've looked at those and thought about trying them.  Given how cheap they are, I will have to give them a try.  Doesn't the DS Trainer have some stability in it?  That's what I thought anyway.  I like the SkySpeeds but I don't have version 2 since I'm cheap and wanted the least expensive ones I could find. 

Once a runner . . .

Latest Speedstar have the funky upper which I have heard makes your feet funky (sweat a lot). DS trainers have medial posting. I blame DS trainers for my 6 months of plantar fasciitis. Sky Speeds are DS trainers w/o medial post. MTA: if Mizuno Rider = brick, then Glycerin = cinder block

I blame DS trainers for my 6 months of plantar fasciitis.

Why?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why?

Medial post. I raced a 5 miler in them when all of my training was In the Riders and Rides. Woke up the next morning with PF. Or they could just be a convenient scapegoat.