Newbies: Some things I have learned about running over the last 31 yrs and 65,000 miles (Read 1493 times)

The following is not an all inclusive list --but a few things may help you out and have you become life-time runners: Don't take yourself or your running too seriously. Relax--make it fun. Take your time. Start off EZ--then back off. Walking is authorized. Under the cover of darkness, never relieve yourself under a streetlight. Run facing traffic--if you can't see a face over the steering wheel-- get off the road!! Smile at drivers who waive at you with one finger. If a runner passes you, tell them you are just completing a 30 mile training run. If running by a store or restaurant in the pouring rain, duck your head inside the establishment and ask for a drink of water. If you see someone smoking as you run by--ask them for a cigarette. As you run by road workers/power line repair folks, etc., ask them if that guy (male runners) is still chasing you. Tell them "she didn't tell me she was married". Female runners--ask them if that woman is still chasing you and tell them"he didn't tell me he was married". For gay runners tell them anything you want. Make running your play. Be greatful that you can walk/run. A body in motion tends to stay in motion--a body at rest tends to stay at rest. If feedback is favorable, I will provide more "nuggets", if not--I may still post more. Nick
      Hey LRN! As always, great advice. As a newbie with a 'forced' slow down (shins don't agree with my healthy decision of exercise,) your nuggets keep my spirits up. Has a smoker ever passed you a ciggy?
      I wish my lawn was emo...

A is A

Your nuggets, as always, are precious. Thanks Nick!
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks for the nuggets Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Nick, I'm sorry to have to point this out, but the road worker suggestion would only really work if you were running naked. I don't think I run fast enough to try that one yet. Shocked
            Heroes never die. They just reload.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Very funny. I think I like this one the best: Under the cover of darkness, never relieve yourself under a streetlight.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks for making me smile! And lifting my spirits...it's so cold here (about 0 degrees F) that I'm forced to stay inside and cross-train at the gym. Now I can't wait to lace up again! (modified at 6pm) - update: I just got back from an easy 2-miler, all bundled up with my Garmie on my wrist. Felt great!
                  Be greatful that you can walk/run. Something I always try to keep in mind Smile
                  2009: BQ?

Renee the dog

Love it. Thanks!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

You'll ruin your knees!

LRN, forgot one... Try not to step in any "nuggets" on/near the path...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

madness baby

Wow, what amazing nuggets. You are truly inspiring, and a great leader!
                        deb

Prophet!

Train smart. And when you are in a race, leave all your nuggets on the course.

Just Be

Ooo, I have one! Change your socks every day! Big grin
                              Thanks LRN! Those are excellent! Put a smile on my face! Smile And I can't believe you've gone 65,000 miles in 31 years. Wow. The #1 reason I love this site is for the inspiration. Keep it comin'!

Prophet!

Ooo, I have one! Change your socks every day! Big grin
                                another benefit of having lots of easy days is that you don't have to change your socks every day.