Hoka OneOne (Read 590 times)

mikeymike

nm. I was trying to take credit for a hattrick that didn't exist. Overzealous.

Runners run

I haven't tried Hoka's myself, but want to as soon as I deplete the current closet stockpile.

Easily half of the trail runners in our group have Hoka's in their rotation.  Most will say that ankle tweaks happen maybe due to stack height, but they happen in all shoes and there's really no difference.  Once it gets stuck in your head though, its bound to happen again.  Durability of the mid-sole is something I've heard.  Some folks feel that they only get 250-300 miles on theirs.  Others get a lot more. YMMV.  Uppers get dinged up on the rocky technical stuff, but mostly cosmetic holes.  Adds character.

The one big thing that I notice, is the guys & gals in Hoka's can absolutely bomb down hills in those things.  Its exasperating having summited a solid hill feeling good only to get dropped on way down and have to play catch up on the flats.  I'm jealous.

rlopez

>>  Most will say that ankle tweaks happen maybe due to stack height, but they happen in all shoes and there's really no difference.

Gonna disagree with you here, kind of strongly.  I tweak my ankles all the time in regular shoes.  Most are no biggie.  But when I did it in the Stinsons, it was a lot more traumatic... like the kind that ends your run and you ponder whether you should go to the ER - I'm pretty sure specifically because of the stack height.  I won't say that the stinsons are more likely to make me turn my ankle (maybe they would, seems plausible, but I don't have enough data), but I will say that the tweaks are more horrific from way up high.  Like an amplifier.  Same trails that give me little noogies in my Pearl Izumis and Montrails, the stinsons tried to separate my feet from my legs.

Mmmmm...beer

I've tried multiple Hoka models hoping to like them, but none have worked for me.  My Saucony Triumphs, however, have me running without pain for the first time in 2 years.  I need to stockpile 20-30 pairs of them.

I do like my Triumphs, altho I'm running almost exclusively in Zealots now, much lighter and still plenty of cushion for me.

In the grand scheme of things, yeah. I suspect less than 1/10th of 1 percent of people run that much. Probably less than 2% of people who consider themselves runners even run that much. We tend to have a warped sense of these things since we surround ourselves with weirdos.

I find that it helps me to feel less crazy if I surround myself with other crazy people.  

The one big thing that I notice, is the guys & gals in Hoka's can absolutely bomb down hills in those things.  Its exasperating having summited a solid hill feeling good only to get dropped on way down and have to play catch up on the flats.  I'm jealous.

I've heard this a few times now, and it intrigues me, because I already do pretty well on the downhills.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Daydreamer1

>>  Most will say that ankle tweaks happen maybe due to stack height, but they happen in all shoes and there's really no difference.

Gonna disagree with you here, kind of strongly.  I tweak my ankles all the time in regular shoes.  Most are no biggie.  But when I did it in the Stinsons, it was a lot more traumatic... like the kind that ends your run and you ponder whether you should go to the ER - I'm pretty sure specifically because of the stack height.  I won't say that the stinsons are more likely to make me turn my ankle (maybe they would, seems plausible, but I don't have enough data), but I will say that the tweaks are more horrific from way up high.  Like an amplifier.  Same trails that give me little noogies in my Pearl Izumis and Montrails, the stinsons tried to separate my feet from my legs.

I had a lot of problems with the Stinsons. Mine were the first version of them. It just seemed that there was no lateral support. On trails and even off camber roads I felt like I was running on big cushy sandals. I finally retired them from the trails and only used them for road running.  I found the Mafates and Bondi B's to be much more stable on the same trails.

FWIW I've had a lot of mid level ankle rolls and two really bad ones while running. One bad one was on a nice trail and was with Cascadias and the other bad one was in a gnarly rock garden with the Mafates.  I can't tell a difference except with the Stinsons.

My biggest complaint is that the outer soles of the Mafates don't hold up on the rocks very well.

Gonna disagree with you here, kind of strongly.  I tweak my ankles all the time in regular shoes.  Most are no biggie.  But when I did it in the Stinsons, it was a lot more traumatic... like the kind that ends your run and you ponder whether you should go to the ER - I'm pretty sure specifically because of the stack height. 

It makes sense that the severity of the trauma would be worse.  Ouch.  While running injuries are no joke, your color commentary make me chuckle (and then grimace), SRL.

NHLA

They are great for bombing down a hill. When you are running a 2000' drop you can save a min. a mile compared to other shoes.

They are awkward on most difficult trails.

I have worn out three pair so far. They last OK. Fit has been different from shoe to shoe. The new ones fit better but had to go up 1/2 size,

This was a great thread I thought worthy of being resurrected.

I am very pleased with my Hoka Bondi 6 shoes.  I’ve got about 300 miles on them and it feels like they have a lot left.  Almost all those miles have been on a dirt rail trail so perhaps that will increase the life of the shoe.  It really seems that these shoes have played a big factor in my not having any major injury issues.

I was a bit conflicted when I first bought the Bondi 6 as the Clifton model also felt good.  (I’m assuming it was Clifton 6 but it might have been the 5)  The Clifton model felt a bit lighter on my feet giving me a slightly more nimble feel.  This was only from doing a few paces in the store so it’s hard to really tell.  I also tried the trail version of the Clifton, the Challenger I think it was called.  Given that I don’t run on a real trail with rocks and roots, I don’t know if I’d really have any advantage getting this model.

It’s starting to get near the time for me to buy my second pair.  I’d like to break in a new pair gradually while still using my first pair for a while. So, I’m wondering if I should take a leap of faith and get the Clifton model.  I raced in my Bondi 6 shoes.  Would the Clifton’s shave a few seconds from a race time?  Is the difference in cushioning with the Bondi model significant enough to prevent injury?  I would gladly give up a few seconds to remain injury-free but if the Clifton model would still protect me, the more nimble feel would be nice.

Has anyone had experience with shifting to a slightly less cushioned model after using Bondi’s?  Any thoughts on the more recent iterations of all the models since this thread was last commented on?

Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

an amazing likeness

I switch back and forth between Bondi and Clifton -- usually have a few of each in rotation. The Clifton has just a bit more "rocker" to it, and is less cushion-ee.  There's been a few times I set out with one of each on by mistake...it's noticeable enough to make me go back and fix the situation, but not radical.  Because I'm old and fat, I depend on the Bondi to let me log miles each day without as much pounding. I usually race in the Cliftons.

I started with Bondi while recovering from a knee stress fracture, and figured I'd go to the Clifton for my day-in, day-out shoe, but over time my gait seems to have become...let's say Bondi dependent.  So I just make sure to run the last few workouts before a race day in the Cliftons so they feel more normal.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JasonB176 - Your best bet is to have a few different pairs of shoes on rotation. Keep the Bondi for long runs and start using the Clifton for tempos....the Clifton will be fine on the terrain you describe. I would also suggest buying another pair for speedwork/racing. I used to race in Hoka Tracers (from 5k to marathon distance) and they’re very light and would definitely shave a few seconds off a 5k compared to the Bondi’s!

You probably already know that Hoka are expensive, so keep an eye out for bargains and buy a couple of pairs on sale if you know and like a particular model. Also there are other very good and cheaper race shoes that are suited to the 5/10k distance. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I switch back and forth between Bondi and Clifton -- usually have a few of each in rotation. The Clifton has just a bit more "rocker" to it, and is less cushion-ee.  There's been a few times I set out with one of each on by mistake...it's noticeable enough to make me go back and fix the situation, but not radical.  Because I'm old and fat, I depend on the Bondi to let me log miles each day without as much pounding. I usually race in the Cliftons.

I started with Bondi while recovering from a knee stress fracture, and figured I'd go to the Clifton for my day-in, day-out shoe, but over time my gait seems to have become...let's say Bondi dependent.  So I just make sure to run the last few workouts before a race day in the Cliftons so they feel more normal.

Interesting.  You kind of confirm that Bondi is better for injury prevention but a bit slower.  Since I run on dirt, I might be able to get away with the Cliftons more.  Having a pair of each might be the best of both worlds as I could race in the Cliftons like you do.  Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

JasonB176 - Your best bet is to have a few different pairs of shoes on rotation. Keep the Bondi for long runs and start using the Clifton for tempos....the Clifton will be fine on the terrain you describe. I would also suggest buying another pair for speedwork/racing. I used to race in Hoka Tracers (from 5k to marathon distance) and they’re very light and would definitely shave a few seconds off a 5k compared to the Bondi’s!

You probably already know that Hoka are expensive, so keep an eye out for bargains and buy a couple of pairs on sale if you know and like a particular model. Also there are other very good and cheaper race shoes that are suited to the 5/10k distance. 👍

I got the Bondi 6 pair at REI with a 20% member discount so they came to $120.  I have yet to find a better price anywhere online for a current model.  I need the wide sizing in 10.5 so even in the close-outs of past years’ models, I haven’t found my size.  I’ll definitely keep my eyes open though.  I see there’s a thread for good deals on shoes.  Not sure if the current Hoka models ever go down in price.

Personal Records:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I got the Bondi 6 pair at REI with a 20% member discount so they came to $120.  I have yet to find a better price anywhere online for a current model.  I need the wide sizing in 10.5 so even in the close-outs of past years’ models, I haven’t found my size.  I’ll definitely keep my eyes open though.  I see there’s a thread for good deals on shoes.  Not sure if the current Hoka models ever go down in price.

Yeah the Bondi 6 is still the latest model so you’ll need to be patient as they’ll start going down in price when the next one comes out. The latest version doesn’t necessarily mean better. I have a pair of the first Bondi B shoes and I think they’re the best.....and also the original Clifton model.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I'm considering getting another pair of Bondi to use as "orthopedic" running shoes. Sometimes my achilles gets really sore and reduces my miles. I found out years ago that the rocker sole and lack of flexibility of the Bondi reduces the demand on my achilles. I went away from Hoka years ago because they became more and more heavy and less and less cushioned despite maintaining the high stack height, and they never addressed the #1 complaint of being too F-ing narrow for normal feet. Recently they have announced that they are a few mm wider, and some reviews have confirmed it. Hoka went away from what drew people to them in the first place; light weight and max cushion.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I'm considering getting another pair of Bondi to use as "orthopedic" running shoes. Sometimes my achilles gets really sore and reduces my miles. I found out years ago that the rocker sole and lack of flexibility of the Bondi reduces the demand on my achilles. I went away from Hoka years ago because they became more and more heavy and less and less cushioned despite maintaining the high stack height, and they never addressed the #1 complaint of being too F-ing narrow for normal feet. Recently they have announced that they are a few mm wider, and some reviews have confirmed it. Hoka went away from what drew people to them in the first place; light weight and max cushion.

I read similar complaints about narrowness earlier in this thread.  Perhaps it has been corrected because I have very wide feet and have no complaints about my Bondi 6 pair though I did get the wide size.  I tried on the regular version of several Hoka models and it was too narrow.  It could be a brand of shoe that you must get the wide version if your feet are even somewhat wide.

Personal Records: