Hoka OneOne (Read 590 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Hoka doesn't make a shoe called Hanapu. Maybe you mean Hupana?

I don't think the Hupana is a running shoe, I think it's an "athliesure" shoe for fashion purposes.

Hupana is right. It seemed to be marketed as a running shoe but I could be mistaken.  My brother has been running in them for a few months which is why I tried them.

rlopez

The Mach was supposed to kinda sorta be a replacement for the Clayton, and while I never wore the Clayton, I really like the Mach. (Some people hate it, as it goes with running shoes.) Of course the Mach is also now discontinued and replaced by the Mach 2, which I also like just not as much as the original Mach.

Hoka has too many slightly different shoes and changes them too often--I don't get how that business model works but apparently it does.

Unless they ditch the line, in a couple years. we'll get the powerful Mach 5.

But the odds are against them and there's dangerous work to do.

In other news, I've been dealing with a heel injury for 2 1/2 years. All yall running in your chuck taylors and altras and acting all casual about shoe engineering, yeah, I hear you. I was that way for 4000-5000 miles a year for a long time. Until I wasn't. Now I can't solve the riddle of the sphinx to save my life.

Specific to Hokas, I was/am pro Stinson (the OG and the current version, but none in between) and the OG challenger. I have, at one point or another, tried pretty much every shoe they make. Of course, they change a lot year to year. My last Bondi was Bondi 3, which has no bearing on current Bondi. I got 600 miles out of that shoe but I ALSO fell on my face a lot. It had a rocker design that was not unlike skecher shape ups. Hupana is an ok shoe. It is "athleisure" because of how it LOOKS, not because of how it is made. It is a running shoe.

Someone ask me for a rant on goddamn altras sometime.

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

I've typically run in somewhat of a stability shoe as I mildly over-pronate.  Trying to decide if I want to pick up Hoka's either as a recovery shoe or to put into my regular rotation.  I'm currently running in Adidas UltraBoost ST, which I've loved for cushion and return but not thrilled with how quickly the sole wears, and Brooks Adrenaline GTS19's, which are nice for stability but frankly feel a little stiff to me.

Anyone try the Hoka Arahi?  I'd consider I guess Clifton's or another neutral shoe for high mileage...maybe something I'd consider for marathon racing that aren't exactly part of my weekly rotation.  I'm running NYC in November as my first marathon.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

rlopez

I've typically run in somewhat of a stability shoe as I mildly over-pronate.  Trying to decide if I want to pick up Hoka's either as a recovery shoe or to put into my regular rotation.  I'm currently running in Adidas UltraBoost ST, which I've loved for cushion and return but not thrilled with how quickly the sole wears, and Brooks Adrenaline GTS19's, which are nice for stability but frankly feel a little stiff to me.

Anyone try the Hoka Arahi?  I'd consider I guess Clifton's or another neutral shoe for high mileage...maybe something I'd consider for marathon racing that aren't exactly part of my weekly rotation.  I'm running NYC in November as my first marathon.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Long time Adrenaline and Ravenna wearer here (along with a multi-year affair with Altra that wound up injuring me). My first pair of Arahi Version One was a fine shoe. Put 500 miles on them, no bigs. My second pair of Arahi version one... different color... was a totally different shoe. It made no sense. And this one was kind of hurty. I ditched it after 100 miles. Not sure what to say about the Arahi. I didn't try version 2.

Specific to Hokas, I was/am pro Stinson (the OG and the current version, but none in between) and the OG challenger. I have, at one point or another, tried pretty much every shoe they make. Of course, they change a lot year to year. My last Bondi was Bondi 3, which has no bearing on current Bondi. I got 600 miles out of that shoe but I ALSO fell on my face a lot. It had a rocker design that was not unlike skecher shape ups. Hupana is an ok shoe. It is "athleisure" because of how it LOOKS, not because of how it is made. It is a running shoe.

Someone ask me for a rant on goddamn altras sometime.

Hmmm... you and I are evidence of convergent evolution.

Have you solved the riddle of steel?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

We can't really blame our over-training and our bio-mechanical issues on our shoes, unfortunately.

I've worn Hokas since they came out.  Found the early Bondis clunky but I got used to them but now they still seem like a little too much shoe for me, but I still seem to like them when I'm injured or coming back from an injury.  I did not like the early Clifton but now it is my go-to shoe for long runs. Clifton 4 and now 6 being my favorites.  I hated Clayton.

Altra Torin works for me, too, but strangely the Altra shoelaces seem to be made for knee boots or something.  They could wrap around my legs three times.  I don't think Altra's manufacturing and quality control is up to snuff with most of the other manufactureres.  Topo is better with all that.

I love running shoes.   I tried the new NB shoe that is supposed to be their answer to Hoka and it was terrible- a rare shoe that I sent back.  It had some weird heel counter thing and it wasn't very cushioned in the forefoot.  Plus- it was really expensive.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mikeymike

We can't really blame our over-training and our bio-mechanical issues on our shoes, unfortunately.

We most certainly can, Karen.

You don't actually expect me to take personal responsibility for my current state of dilapidation, do you?

Runners run

^^^  Yeah-  we all raise our hands.....if it wasn't for those DAMN SHOES I tried!

rlopez

Hey, I wasn't blaming my overtraining (which I was not doing) and my personal bio-mechanical issues on a specific pair of shoes.

I have (well, had) a very long high mileage history backed up with results. Gonna call that overtraining? Yeah, nah.

As for bio-mechanical issues, yes definitely, but that's part of my rant about Altras. THEY CLAIM to be the be-all and end-all of shoes.... and the fervent community of Altra True Believers drinks deeply in that kool-aid. As a point of reference, for several years, I tried to bring up Altra's really shitty issues with quality control on the TAUR group in facebook, and got lots of crazy "you are an idiot" feedback on those threads and in PM. Even though Altra pretty clearly has issues with side tearing and sizing.... and has for years. But not to the True Believers.

So they claim to be the real deal that will solve all the foot's problems... like goofy vibrams before that... so I gave it the college try for about two years with mixed results. And then I was sidelined for a very long time. Correlation? Causation? I dunno. Not the shoe for me, anyway.

Perhaps this is about something else.

Not everything is directed at- or about- you, Robert.  My post was general and applies to all of us.  I was joking- what a concept!

The "zero drop" shoes actually end up being negative drop for regular training runs, because more landing force is toward the heel at slower paces, squishing that midsole and putting the heel lower than the ball of the foot.

Altra experience; after using the OG Olympus I decided to try the new Lone Peak model. First pair felt odd, and upon closer inspection I noticed the Right shoe was attached to the midsole at a very visible sideways angle. Store ordered a warranty replacement pair, and one shoe also felt odd. Taking out the insole, there was a quarter sized chunk of midsole gouged out near the heel and filled with some kind of glue, and a red X on the glue. I returned them and never considered another pair.

I like the "idea" of their shoes, especially the foot shaped last, but whatever factory is making them is really, really bad. Or Altra is in financial straights and buys the 2nds and blems from the factory for a discount and sells them as 1st quality.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Not everything is directed at- or about- you, Robert.  My post was general and applies to all of us.  I was joking- what a concept!

LOL

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

I like the "idea" of their shoes, especially the foot shaped last, but whatever factory is making them is really, really bad. Or Altra is in financial straights and buys the 2nds and blems from the factory for a discount and sells them as 1st quality.

Altra was sold last year to VF, the same company that owns North Face. They have All The Money (and the founder now travels the country being motivational and stuff).

I guess the model year must be winding down.  When I shopped in the spring, all the models were available in my size.  Now I can't find my size locally.  I had tried on the Clifton 6 when I got the Bondi 6 and liked it so I decided to just order it online.  I'm a little nervous because some comments seem to indicate some variance within the fit of Hoka shoes that are the same exact model.  Hopefully the Clifton 6 10.5 wide that I ordered online will feel like the one I tried in the store before.

I would have liked to have tried both the Bondi and Clifton one more time in brand new condition but it seems that the Clfiton 6 has enough good feedback to go with it.  Worst case is that I'll end up using is sparingly and just go with Bondis going forward.  Thanks for all the input on this thread.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

an amazing likeness

Jason - the current Bondi and Clifton fit exactly the same.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.