Plantar Fasciitis...Back to Square One? (Read 805 times)

I've been suffering from PF for almost eight months now. At the end of Jan, I got a cortizone shot, which reduced the inflamation and helped to significantly reduce the level of pain. Subsequent to getting the shot I followed the Dr.'s instructions (wore orthos, stretched, used Strasburg Sock etc) and gradually worked my way back to slowly running again (on the treadmill). Today, after about 1.5 miles on the treadmill, I decided to go outside and run for a few minutes. Well, after only about 1/10 of a mile my right foot began to bother me again. Tonight, as I write this note, my heal hurts me almost as bad as it did back in July when I first injured it. Can anyone out there tell me if I'm back to square one again (w/ the pain)? Thanks Tom
    Jill_B

I fly.

I had PF a few years back and the first time I ran without my orthotic I had pain like in the beginning, but it didn't last very long at all -- but I never really went back to the doctor, so I might have been doing the stupidest thing in the world.

Bring it on.

I too suffered from P.F. I was forced to stop running in Sept. of ’05. I went to physical therapy and tried everything they could come up; stretches, Strasburg Sock, massage, orthotics, etc and finally a cortisone shot; nothing worked. At the end of Dec. I agreed to go with an immobilizer for three moths; it really sucked! The first part of April '06 I got out of the boot and started leg strengthening exercises and after that I was able to slowly start walk-running. I NEVER go anywhere without my orthotic and continue to use the Strasburg Sock. I would advise to continue using the sock, orthotics and do lots of stretching and icing (all things I continue to do) and if the and continues go back to your doc.
        "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
          Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. After a recent visit with a Podiatrist (visiting mainland Japan from Okinawa last week) I feel like I have a new lease on life. She gave me another cortizone shot, prescribed custom orthos (one pair for running shoes, one for dress shoes) and gave me some hope for the future. Think the second round of cortizone shots must have hit the right spot. After purchasing a good quality pair of motion control running shoes, I was finally able to run outside with virtually no pain this past Sunday (for the first time since Jul 06). I ran on the local high school track on Sunday 1/4 mi run, 1/8 mi walk x 4 (total of a mile run). To those folks out there still suffering from PF, have patience and you too will succeed. Thanks again. Tom