My last run was.... (Read 1253 times)

Hi Sneb! Welcome. Sounds like things are rolling along nicely for you. Hope the thaw comes soon. We also have a cozy group venue here.

Jeff, I don't recall now who told me about Hammer gels and bars, but I swear by them now! Even if it's placebo effect, when I eat a yummy gel at 1 hour into my run and I get a great energy boost. Then I eat another again 45 mins. later if I'm out that long. I carry them all the time now.

Well, I added some more points to my More Miles Than Degrees Club! 5 miles this morning at -2 gives me 7 points today and 16.5 total for the month. Crazy! Big grin By the way...it's lonely over there in the More Miles Than Degrees Club I need someone else to post with me. I left my little dog at home this morning, I  just didn't think it was right to bring her out in this weather even with her cute little red coat because It was -16 with the wind chill. I also left my MP3 home (the wires froze once in 0 degrees) plus my peripheral vision was compromised with all my gear and sounds were muffled under all my layers. My run was really slow and tough, I think that was the cold. My goggles iced up briefly and my quads were very cold and unresponsive, but otherwise it was not too bad. Proud of myself for getting 'er done!

*My Art Website  *My Run For The Critters

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon  PRs:  5K 31 • 10K 1:09 • HM 2:43

July 29th, 2017 Jug End Loop Ultra (Half MarathonTrail Run) 

Nice job Melody, you are much braver than me. I thought I might want to give it a try, the last 2 days would have worked, but I wussed out & resigned myself to the treadmill both days. I think I would have gone for it if not for the wind. Also I was running at lunchtime from work; I was a bit afraid if my co-workers saw me going out in that, they would have had serious concerns about my mental stability, and would have tried to put me in some kind of a program.

Dave

jmsab23

I did 1/2 mile TM repeats tonight, after chickening out on the outdoor run. It was 2 above, but the wind would have burned through my face. DaveP and I are in the same chicken coop, I guess.    Total run was 7 miles, with 6 x 800 in the middle, at 3:20 clip, and 400 jog recoveries. 55:23 overall.

I posted last night, but I don't see it tonight. Hhhmmmmm.

NRDgirl..... Great job and great pics!!!!!

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

CT JEFF

Ran 5.0m on the TM slow and easy 10:08 pace. Trying to have fewer negative effects of running / increasing milage throughout the week.

Melody - yes, when I think about running in this weather, I think about how you keep doing it! Keep it up! My points for that club= 0. LOL, but Im pretty proud of myself looking back at 2012 all the time. So far in 2013, I ran more than I did in Jan-June 2012 combined.  I will find those gels. I need to start getting into that habit.

jmsab - good job getting that run in (I like RA, I got your post while Im still writing mine)

Tim the enchanter -(Dave) you really think its running in the cold that is going to get your coworkers to question your psycological stability? I think its that Ram Horn Hat you wear every day. I mean, how do you even run in that getup? Wink

I just ordered my RoadId tonight. I have a big fear of getting hit by a car. I liked my iPhone, because I could link to my wife's phone or my iPad and they could see where I was (albeit slowly) in Find My Friends. Now, I have a DROID phone and I cant find any good way for others to watch my location on a map. If the RoadID is comfortable, I may end up buying ones for the kids. Who knows.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

NRDGirl - welcome over here - what an awesome weekend.  Loved the bling and those sunrises - just wow.  (I now realize that I posted this earlier in the User Group and not here - sometimes I'm not sure if I'm coming or going)

Snerb - welcome too!  Happy to hear all is going well.

Jeff - I agree with Melody on Hammer.  I love the chocolate and the vanilla gels.  REI carries them if you have one near you (Norwalk and W. Hartford).  btw - love the historical humor Wink

jmsab - is there room in that chicken coop for one more?  I haven't braved the cold yet this week, either.  brrrrrr    It's been all about the treadmill.

Headed to the Y again this morning -  8 degrees with a windchill and I didn't want to "Melody" it.  3.5 miles of pure torture.  I got the last TM in the place and it was the one with the broken TV.  Just me and my thoughts starting at the numbers  on the display.  At one point I just started making up stories in my head:  ok, 1/2 mile to go, that's like from the grocery store to home.  Not far - passing the high school now and then it's just  around the bend by the pond oooh the senior center, getting closer . .. . . and so on ticking off landmarks in my head to make the time pass.  I think they call it Treadmill psychosis.  LOL  Went to yoga tonight and tomorrow is another rest day.

Tim the enchanter -(Dave) you really think its running in the cold that is going to get your coworkers to question your psycological stability? I think its that Ram Horn Hat you wear every day. I mean, how do you even run in that getup? Wink

Great for building up the neck muscles.

Dave

I ran the coldest run of my running career this morning. It was -7 degrees with -20 windchill. I did two rather tough miles which now gives me 25.5 points in the More Miles Than Degrees Club. This was also my 5th consecutive running day this week. Yay!! I dressed appropriately with a really high tech balaclava that I bought a few years ago (it has a breathing mechanism in it), four good layers on top and two pair of tights. I have some awesome mittens that I found on eBay that always keep my hands warm no matter what. The only thing that hurt were my upper legs. They just never warmed up and really stung in the cold. I was thinking that maybe some good Gore wind pants would help. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Yes, join the rest of us wusses and use the treadmill!! You're making us look bad.

Seriously, if you are going to continue this, I would think you should not be looking for running gear, but checking into what Iditarod mushers and polar explorers wear. Kee-razy.

Dave

Wandering Wally

4.6 miles to test out a sore calf.  I took a few days off to let it calm down.  Now it's feeling great.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

DaveP MI LOL! Re: "Seriously, if you are going to continue this, I would think you should not be looking for running gear, but checking into what Iditarod mushers and polar explorers wear. Kee-razy."

mjsmith1223 So good to hear the calf is feeling better.

Wandering Wally

Melody - I run in weather similar to yours.  Even though it looks dorky, I wear my shorts over my tights and that helps my upper legs not be so cold.  The layering also helps with keeping my backside warm.  Freezing my butt off takes on new meaning when it's below zero.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Thanks mjsmith1223. I was thinking about that. Like maybe a heavy pair of sweat pants cut into longish shorts. Appreciate it.

CT JEFF

Hi ALL- added 5.5miles to my week. I cut yesterday's run short, but added in one today. Trying to build up endurance by adding weekly miles, but trying to avoid feeling like I have no energy after my runs. So, speed was not an issue. I set it to 5.8/hr then went down to 5.7 when I was sweating too much. Wanted to find my Marathon pace. Kept incline at 2.5 all run. Last 5 min or so, I ramped up to 6.4 to simulate running to the finish.

DebM - I have done the "talking to myself" or imagining the sites on the TM as well. Sometimes I'll include the hills for my favorite route. Also glad you liked the historical humor. Sometimes my jokes can be too exclusive.

Melody - I read your post early this am. My initial thought was, maybe that weather is too cold to run in. But it isnt, because you keep doing it! Keep being an inspiration. Speaking of which.. Where is NHLA? Ive seen him here, but not often. I will remember the name Hammer. I dont have an REI too close, but I do have an EMT, (same thing, I think) - I'll try to get there tomorrow to order some samples. I went on Amazon last night and got a Sample Pack of GU gels. Also, one of the runs I have signed up for said that they would have Gels on the 3.1 station. Cool! (I'll keep my own as a backup)

DaveP and mjsmith - good job on those miles. Today was day 4 of running this week. I can either bask in the glory or add some more miles this week. Wink Im getting really close to a record # of miles in a month for me. Im already over 80.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

slow as mud

I just ordered my RoadId tonight. I have a big fear of getting hit by a car. I liked my iPhone, because I could link to my wife's phone or my iPad and they could see where I was (albeit slowly) in Find My Friends. Now, I have a DROID phone and I cant find any good way for others to watch my location on a map. If the RoadID is comfortable, I may end up buying ones for the kids. Who knows.

Hi Jeff, on Android I use an application called "Glympse" to allow my wife to check where I am when going out for a run, you should be able to find it on the Android Market

Jeff CT Hi Jeff. Hey, glad I can inspire! Big grin NHLA has been posting over on the Group Forum here.