My last run was.... (Read 1253 times)

On Sunday I did 7 miles on treadmill instead of the required 17 miles because I got Achilles Tendinitis. Cry

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

CT JEFF

Sorry to hear DavidLiu hope it gets better soon. At least you got a run in today! Smile

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

NHLA

13.5 miles 2 hr 9 min.

CT JEFF

NHLA- very nice!

I did 9.6 on the ole TM today. 10:01 pace.

QUESTION: 

I have noticed that when I complete a 9+ mile run, I feel completely drained. Id like to shower and take a nap. Heck, Id almost skip the shower Im so drained. Today, I drank 24 oz milk had some blueberries, thinking it was a carb issue. Then I had a coffee with cream and sugar and I felt, not so drained. Also, I usually dont eat before running. And I sweat a lot. I drank about 20 oz of my water/sportsdrink mix and ran out near mile 8. Thanks in advance for any advice.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Not dead. Yet.

Jeff - I get worn down after runs over 9 - 10 miles too.  I usually drink a gatorade recovery drink and a regular gatorade, but then need at least the rest of the day to get my body back to normal  I just figure that I'm still a beginner, and I haven't really run very many of those long runs yet.

I had a great 6 mile run in warmth.  It was mid 70's with the sun beating down on me.  A little warm, but the wind was blowing and kept it comfortable.  It was freaking awesome; one of those runs that reminds you of why you put yourself through those painful days.  Ran to Ozzy Osbourne's "Tribute" live album.  Haven't heard it in a good 10 years.  Awesome.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

jmsab23

4 mile "Push Run" on TM tonight after work.  I'm going to call these push runs because I............ PUSH myself. I keep turning up the speed just about every lap. Ran the last mile at or over 9 mph, finished in 27:37 -- 6:54 pace.

Jeff.... Not that I'm an expert, but I think you'll eventually get used to the longer distances if you keep doing them. I went through the same thing, and still do in the 10 and above miles range, but I recover quickly from a 5 or 6 mile run now. Those distances used to drain me when I ran 3 or 4 miles/day. Now I'm used to them.   Maybe some form of energy bar/shot/gel/beans during your long runs??

Everyone have nice days.

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

jeff - when I was training for my half last fall I used gels during long runs >9 miles.   I also ate something before those long runs - bowl of cereal (Special K worked great) with almond milk and a cup of coffee.  Just enough to give me a little fuel to burn without filling me up. Ordinary morning runs, I never eat before .    I don't recall feeling that exhausted afterwards, but maybe I was just so slow I didn't tire as much Smile or time makes my memory fuzzy.

jmsab  - "push runs".  I like that. I do those on occasion myself, but my "push" and your "push" are on totally different planets.

sdizazzo - 70's?  I'd love weather in the 70's.  We'll be topping out in the teens this week.

3.1 on the TM - snow falling outside.

I have noticed that when I complete a 9+ mile run, I feel completely drained.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1. Run more

2. Run slower

Dave

CT JEFF

Thanks all for the advice on the post-run rundown.

Quick Question: I have never run a full marathon. Longest run so far is 13miles. I have signed up for the 26 on 5.28. I would like to do a race the next weekend. Is doing 1/2 that close to a full ok? Thoughts?

NRDgirl

Hey guys, I just posted this on Active and scrolled up to see you all left the board. So, cutting and pasting. Thanks for transferring the thread Melody. Glad I caught that post.

Hey guys! I just got back from Bermuda and am happy to report that I successfully completed the Bermuda Triangle Challenge! This was not only my first international race(s), but also my first int'l trip. So I finally have a stamp in my only few-months-old passport. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful. The Challenge starts on Fri evening with the KPMG invitational mile, includes a hilly 10k on Sat and concludes with either the half or full marathon on Sunday. The invitational Mile is like a big party with lots of locals out to cheer folks on. The race starts at about 7PM Fri evening. It was pretty warm and humid, but lots of fun. I didn't push too hard on the mile, wanting to save some for the next 2 days. Got the mile done in 8:41. The 10k on Sat was honestly the toughest 10k of my life. Those Bermuda hills are no joke and the 10k was full of them, with miles 2 and 5 being the toughest. I made a point to run the 10k with ease, since I had been warned about the hills and I knew I had the half marathon the next morning. The course was soooo beautiful, with the whole 2nd half of the race on an elevated road that overlooks the ocean. OMG, I so wish I had run with my camera. The water is so blue/green, that it looks fake. I really slowed my pace on that part of the race because I couldn't get enough of that view. I got the 10k done in 57:56. Then finally was the half marathon/marathon on Sunday morning. We got rain, which started off with a welcome light mist. I say welcome because the temps were warm and it was pretty humid. The rain never turned into a torrential downpour, but did get slightly heavier. I don't mind running in the rain, actually love it, but running that distance on a hilly course in soggy clothes got a little uncomfortable. I was so happy to see the finish line. Bart Yasso was standing there giving everyone high-fives. I missed him as I ran up to the start because I was focused on the clock, trying to speed it up to come in under 2 hours. I managed it, coming in at 1:58:51. After finishing I made my way back to Bart and told him I'd missed my high-five because I was focused on the clock. He said "As you should have been." and gave me my high-five. Bart was so cool. He was actually hanging all weekend. He stayed in the same hotel as my crew--the Fairmont Hamilton Princess--and you could easily just walk up and have a convo with him or take pics. I have some group pics with him and had a nice convo with him at the bar on Sunday evening. The locals were also so hospitable, many even standing out in the rain to cheer us on Sunday. It was such an awesome experience and I highly recommend it. You don't have to do the challenge, you can just register for one event. But if you do all 3--1 mile, 10k and half or full marathon--you get 4 medals. I could hardly wait to get home and add my new bling to my medal rack. I plan to head back and do this again. Not sure if I'll do it next year, as my crew is talking about doing the Bahamas or Rio in 2014, but I do plan to take the challenge again.

Check out my new bling and tech tees. Also included a couple of shots of the sunrise I managed to capture yesterday morning. Isn't God amazing? I think He was showing off for me. After all, I am one of his favs.

Happy running my friends.

040.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg050.jpg

061.jpg

CeeDotA

Short four mile recovery run today. Slow for two reasons -- recovering from my HM on Sunday and I'm still a little sore, and I'm breaking in a pair of Adidas Tempo 5, and the arch support was digging in (ended up with a blister).

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

CT JEFF

NRDgirl - so glad that you found the breadcrumbs and found us again over here. I was going to carve the word CROATOAN on a tree over there, but I only got as far as R .. A..

I love that Bermuda Triangle race. Thank you so much for sharing! I never thought of joining a running group until now. And - yes, I love the bling!

I didnt run today - just ran 2 days in a row. When I mentioned it, the wife said, "you should use that massage your brother got you for Christmas" - she is really good about supporting my running, but I wasnt feeling it today, so I didnt push it. I forced myself to have a 50 mintue free deep-tissue massage. Oh the sacrafices I make for her. Wink - Stay safe all. Its wicked cold in the NorthEast right now, and they are talking SNOW for Friday.

Melody not sure if you "liked" the Memorial Marathon on FB, but they were looking for quotes today for the news about why it is the "TOUGHEST MARATHON IN THE EAST". -

Hi NRDGirl!!! So happy you found us over here! We also have a cozy little group: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MLRW/forum on this site. WOW. That is all I have to say about your races. You are one amazing gal! Thank you for bringing us along and inspiring us all!

Jeff CT NICE! Re: massage. Your wife is one smart cookie. Big grin I haven't been over to the Memorial Day Race FB page for a while. I'll head over now.

I'm gearing up and getting my mind wrapped around some deep freeze running this morning. I may not get points for the More Miles Than Degrees Club, but it WILL be close! It's a balmy 3 degrees right now with -15 windchill...brrr. Smile

*My Art Website  *My Run For The Critters

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon  PRs:  5K 31 • 10K 1:09 • HM 2:43

July 29th, 2017 Jug End Loop Ultra (Half MarathonTrail Run) 

Thanks for the link Melody.

Greetings again all.  It's time for my monthly check in.  The weather here has been brutally cold, the high temp for the past three days hasn't been above zero and on my way to work yesterday (Tuesday) the thermometer in the truck showed -18.  Wind chills were -30 to -40.  COLD.

Still eating and living Primal and still amazed by the results.  Still doing P90X Lean and feeling excellent.  Once this cold snap breaks I'll lace up my Brooks and get ready for my 5 mile race on 3/2.

Jeff - Have you thought about taking some gel packs with you on your runs???  I personally haven't used any (can't / won't run more than 7 miles because of a couple knee surgeries), but I know a lot of runners that do when they get past that 10-12 mile mark...

http://guenergy.com/store/guenergygel-original.html/

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 23:52 | 5k Trail - 24:03 | 5 Mile - 36:52 | 10k - 47:43 | 10k Trail - 47:43

dirtroadrunner

3.15 mile training run for my 1/2 in April. Finished the last .5 at a 8:20 pace. I usually live around 9:15-10:30, my route does include lots of hills. It felt great ending so I went with it.